GTX 970 Weird VRAM Issue

CharlieWaflesBR
Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,

vRAM usage is not always linked with how hard your GPU is being pushed, or the temperatures. You could have a game that fills all of your vRAM, but only puts 20% load on the GPU, so it would run cool. 

Look at the clockspeed and load on the GPU and you'll see why it's running hot or cool. 

Hey there. Been playing The Witcher 3 for almost two weeks constantly and I've never seen my VRAM usage go above 2GB and yet, it's the game that pushes my GPU to its absolute limits with temps well above 50C. It's all maxed out at 1080p and running mostly at 60fps. That said... Last night I decided to play a game/simulator called Space Engine for a few hours. I was shocked to see that at one point my VRAM usage got to 3.8GB and yet the GPU was still running below 45C. How does that work? In Space Engine, you're rendering some very large terrain with some pretty high quality textures... Could that be the reason?

Thanks.

vRAM usage is not always linked with how hard your GPU is being pushed, or the temperatures. You could have a game that fills all of your vRAM, but only puts 20% load on the GPU, so it would run cool. 

Look at the clockspeed and load on the GPU and you'll see why it's running hot or cool. 

W3 is not vram heavy. Space engineers probably didn't destroy the unused textures? :/ 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

That makes sense. Thank you.

What's your GPU usage like when running that game?

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

W3 is not vram heavy. Space engineers probably didn't destroy the unused textures? :/ 

It's Space Engine. It's a space exploration tool. But that could be the case here. Thanks.

What's your GPU usage like when running that game?

I don't usually keep an eye on that but I could take a quick look.

It's Space Engine. It's a space exploration tool. But that could be the case here. Thanks.

LOL mistook and immediately thought of space engineers :lol:   

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

LOL mistook and immediately thought of space engineers :lol:   

I have played Space Engineers as well. Kinda like Minecraft in space but in Early Acess, right? It's pretty cool.