RAID1

shazaam
Go to solution Solved by kevink817,

Step 1) Backup your data. With one drive failed, your array is much more vulnerable.

Step 2) Resize your partitions.

Step 3) Create a new SSD Raid 1 array along side the HDD Raid 1 array.

Step 4) Utilize cloning software to copy data from old array to new array. I like clonezilla, but ive only used it for single disks.

Hello, I come with a bit of a headscratcher.

I have a system with 2 HDD in RAID1. One of them is dead so we decided to go with 2 SSD (10 year warranty). The PC runs now on the remaining HDD.  There is some software on it and it costs some nice $$$ to reinstall it.

Can it be possible to used cloning or RAID1 to move everything from the HDD to the SSDs without reinstalling everything?

The HDD is 500 GB split into 2 partitions (160 GB used space), and the SSD are 256GB. I was thinking of resizing the partitions and making them under 256 then use RAID1 to recreate the array with the existing HDD and 1 of the SSD, then lose the HDD and put the 2nd SSD in and recreate the array. Is this possible?

Thank you in advance for your time and help.

The Closet: i5 6600K @ 825-4635 MHz || Asus Z170A || Fury 16GB DRR4 @ 2198 MHz CL14 || Zotac GTX 970 AMP! @ 1555/7900 MHz || Antec TP Classic 550 || Samsung EVO 840 250 GB || Fractal Design R4

The Folder: Acer V5-573: i5 4200u @ 800-2600 MHz || Embedded 4GB DDR3 @ 1600 Mhz || 120 GB SSD

The TV SmallBox: MSI Windbox: Celeron 1037u @ 1800 MHz || 2GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz || 500 GB || WiFi bgn

Step 1) Backup your data. With one drive failed, your array is much more vulnerable.

Step 2) Resize your partitions.

Step 3) Create a new SSD Raid 1 array along side the HDD Raid 1 array.

Step 4) Utilize cloning software to copy data from old array to new array. I like clonezilla, but ive only used it for single disks.

Thanks Kevin. I'll try that.

The Closet: i5 6600K @ 825-4635 MHz || Asus Z170A || Fury 16GB DRR4 @ 2198 MHz CL14 || Zotac GTX 970 AMP! @ 1555/7900 MHz || Antec TP Classic 550 || Samsung EVO 840 250 GB || Fractal Design R4

The Folder: Acer V5-573: i5 4200u @ 800-2600 MHz || Embedded 4GB DDR3 @ 1600 Mhz || 120 GB SSD

The TV SmallBox: MSI Windbox: Celeron 1037u @ 1800 MHz || 2GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz || 500 GB || WiFi bgn

~snip~

Hey there shazaam,

Your plan seems good. Do have in mind that not all cloning software programs support RAID sources or RAID targets. Cloning does involve some risks such as missed out data, corrupted files, etc. Cloning HDDs on SSDs also involves a risk that the SSDs can be recognized as HDDs and thus miss out on functions like TRIM and be susceptible to defragmenting, degrading their lifespan. I would recommend cloning only if it's the last option. If reinstalling the applications and the OS on the new array does not cost and money (re-issuing licenses, etc) I'd simply reinstall them. Do keep backups on the old HDD just in case something happens with the RAID controller or with the whole array. Mirroring does not give you redundancy over user-made mistakes or malware. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey Cap, thank you for your input.

Reinstalling the OS and the required software costs around 180 EUR +  5-6 hours of downtime. This is my second cloning. The first one had some weird behaviour. Right click on 'my computer' didn't work anymore (clone SSD to SSD).

This time I cloned a HDD to SSD. Hopefully, all is good. I will keep the working HDD in there (just unplugged).

I will check for TRIM, thanks.

/// BTW.. my initial idea of rebuilding the array with the SSD didn't work (I used the Intel tool in Windows). I thought that reducing the HDD partitions to the size of the SSD will work, but it did not. The drive for the rebuild must be greater_or_equal ( existing_HDD ).

~snip~

Cloning a larger HDD to a smaller SSD always involves a chance of failure or data corruption. I would look for some guidance form the manufacturer of the controller that you are using for the RAID. 
You can also contact the manufacturer of the software tool for some tips and guidance and see if the guys there can give you some useful advice. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/