Upgrading from i5 2500 to 4690k

Get something cheap like Asus Z97-A

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

Why are you upgrading? The performance difference is very small compared to the price of upgrading. Keep the 2500, maybe overclock it (can go up to 41x with the multiplier, not shabby).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Hey guys. I'm currently runing an i5 i2500 and a P8P67 Rev 3.1 mainboard.

I'm going to upgrade to the i5 4690k and this mainboard: http://www.gigabyte.de/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4952#ov

Can someone tell if this mainboard is alright (it got all the connectors I need) or if I shoud look for another one?

Pretty sure thats the same MOBO I have, should work.

GIGABYTE Z97MX-G516GB DDR3 | I5 4690k @ 4.4ghz | 1TB SSHD, 500GB HDD, 128GB SSD | GTX 1070 8GB | Corsair Graphite 230 | EVGA 650W | Hyper 212 EVO

Cinebench R15: 636(all cores), 127FPS

Why are you upgrading? The performance difference is very small compared to the price of upgrading. Keep the 2500, maybe overclock it (can go up to 41x with the multiplier, not shabby).

It can go up higher just depends on your cooling and how much you can get stable under 1.4v (personal limit, some people say you can push to 1.5v), but this is only if it's an unlocked 2500

"You should look up common sense and add it to your vocabulary." - dougdangger 2015

Assuming it's not a typo in the OP, the i5-2500 is locked.

http://ark.intel.com/products/52209/Intel-Core-i5-2500-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_70-GHz

It's not a typo. It's the locked i5-2500. 

I would spend nearly 350€ for the mainboard and the processor. And a friend of mine would buy the stuff I have currently for 150€, so I would be spending 200€ for that upgrade.

Get something cheap like Asus Z97-A

The Asus Z97-A is around 150€ in Germany, while the G1 Sniper Z97 is only 100€.

http://ark.intel.com/products/52209/Intel-Core-i5-2500-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_70-GHz

I know nothing about Sandy Bridge but I know that even locked processors can have their multipliers fiddled with

EDIT: OP, you should keep your 2500. There is a very very low performance boost when getting an i5 4690k.

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

It can go up higher just depends on your cooling and how much you can get stable under 1.4v (personal limit, some people say you can push to 1.5v), but this is only if it's an unlocked 2500

That's what I was saying, sandy "locked" cpus can actually change their multiplier up to 4x over their turbo boost level. To go further on one of these you'd need to touch bclk - feasible, but not as effective and more risky.

read above. I know it because I have a 2600.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I would be spending like 30€ more for the i5 6600k and the Asus Z170-P D3 (I don't really wanna buy DDR4 Ram) but the Z170-P D3 can't run SLI (which I currently don't need since I'm running a 980 Ti atm and I'm not planning on getting a second one of these) is that upgrade worth it?

That's what I was saying, sandy "locked" cpus can actually change their multiplier up to 4x over their turbo boost level. To go further on one of these you'd need to touch bclk - feasible, but not as effective and more risky.

Oh, yeah I see that from some Google searching. Never knew that about Sandy Bridge, everyone was always so fixated on the 2500K in those days.

im in the 4790k club ;)

So? No one asked you!

BTW: Don't, save for storage or for a second 980 Ti. Keep the 2500.

Spoiler

|| Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 || i5 3570 @3.5GHz || Zalman CNPS10X Optima || 8GB RAM HyperX Fury Blue @ 1600MHz || Thermaltake Berlin 630W || Zalman Z11 || Gainward Phantom GTX 970 || 120GB Kingston V300  (Gift) + 1TB  WD Green

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 8

Tablet: iPad Mini 2

read above. I know it because I have a 2600.

So I should get a good cooler (like NH-D15 or AIO) and pump up the base clock?

Oh, yeah I see that from some Google searching. Never knew that about Sandy Bridge, everyone was always so fixated on the 2500K in those days.

yeah, sandy non-k cpus where the uncelebrated heroes of 2011 ^^ I got mine for quite a bit cheaper than a 2600k and since I wasn't planning to overclock much, and not above 4.2 anyway, it was perfect.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

So I should get a good cooler (like NH-D15 or AIO) and pump up the base clock?

an nh-d15 is unnecessary for this frankly, an nh-d14 will be easily plenty. I don't advise pushing bclk much though, it can mess with other components. Keep it under 110mhz would be my advice (besides, 110x41 is 4.44ghz, not bad at all).

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

• 2 months later...

Go for it,i5 2500 is shit.I got so many problems from it that it's not even funny...