How to easily root? / How to recover Android Photos

Tim Drake

I need to root really quickly because I accidentally deleted a lot of my girlfriends photos and they're precious to her so I need to root and try to recover these pictures.

Kingo ROOT doesn't work, I tried every method.

I also tried WonderShare Dr. Fone and it doesn't work..

Phone is Samsung Galaxy S5 on Android 5.0

Towelroot was what I used on my old phone, that was really easy, but I dunno how well respected it is when talking to people who actually mess around with this kind of stuff.  I was just experimenting.

I'm not sure if you can save the photos though..

"You should look up common sense and add it to your vocabulary." - dougdangger 2015

plug into pc, use file recovery software? Rooting will probably just delete most of the photos by the time you get it to work properly.

Gaming PC: CPU: i7 4770k@4.2GHz w/ CM Nepton 140xl, GPU: Gigabyte 1070 @2050, RAM: ADATA XPG V1 16GB@2133MHz, Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 7, Case: Corsair NZXT S340.

Towelroot was what I used on my old phone, that was really easy, but I dunno how well respected it is when talking to people who actually mess around with this kind of stuff.  I was just experimenting.

Okay, how do I root using that?

plug into pc, use file recovery software?

Referring to one might help.. In OP I said I already tried Dr. Fone

Referring to one might help.. In OP I said I already tried Dr. Fone

Probably only works if pictures were on SD card but MIGHT be able to access phones internal storage, havent tried it but a quick search shows this one https://www.piriform.com/recuva

easeus also has a program designed for android - http://www.easeus.com/android-data-recovery-software/free-android-data-recovery.html

Edit: Just tried easeus, recovered a photo of what I needed to do for work I deleted yesterday... Hopefully works for your Girlfriends phone

Gaming PC: CPU: i7 4770k@4.2GHz w/ CM Nepton 140xl, GPU: Gigabyte 1070 @2050, RAM: ADATA XPG V1 16GB@2133MHz, Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 7, Case: Corsair NZXT S340.

Okay, how do I root using that?

Wait until you hear what the other people say, because as @Silverer mentioned things could go wrong in the process, but for towelroot you just go to their website on your phone, click the symbol and it will download an executable if I remember correctly.  Make sure you get SuperSU or whatever the preferred program is now to protect your rooted phone.

"You should look up common sense and add it to your vocabulary." - dougdangger 2015

Odins autoroot method might work depending on which carrier she has. then you can remove Knox with something like SuperSU.  it shouldnt wipe her phone, but it will void her warrenty

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Odins autoroot method might work depending on which carrier she has. then you can remove Knox with something like SuperSU.  it shouldnt wipe her phone, but it will void her warrenty

teach me, i iz noob

Also can it be easily unrooted? or do they always know that you've rooted?

Although the rooting process does not erase anything, one small mistake and your phone becomes a paperweight. 

You can follow this guide to root: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2699648

Read EVERYTHING  and make sure you understand it.

You can also try this software: https://www.androidpit.com/how-to-recover-deleted-photos-on-android

I have never used it before so I do not know how well it works.

If you need more help on rooting, XDA Developers is a great forum for this.

Also, how do you know you need root to recover your deleted photos?

teach me, i iz noob

Also can it be easily unrooted? or do they always know that you've rooted?

rooted my S4 really easily(after a brief scare thinking i bricked it completely).

never tried to unroot a phone, but theres no point, especially with samsung phones.  Samsung uses a program called Knox, which is known as an e-fuse. its designed to trip when it gets booted with a non-samsung boot loader or script, voiding the phones warranty. you probably could unroot the phone without too much trouble, but you can NOT revert the Knox status, they will know the phone was previously rooted.

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

rooted my S4 really easily(after a brief scare thinking i bricked it completely).

never tried to unroot a phone, but theres no point, especially with samsung phones. Samsung uses a program called Knox, which is known as an e-fuse. its designed to trip when it gets booted with a non-samsung boot loader or script, voiding the phones warranty. you probably could unroot the phone without too much trouble, but you can NOT revert the Knox status, they will know the phone was previously rooted.

Well there goes her warranty Cuz it failed a root like 3 times :/

Although the rooting process does not erase anything, one small mistake and your phone becomes a paperweight.

You can follow this guide to root: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2699648

Read EVERYTHING and make sure you understand it.

You can also try this software: https://www.androidpit.com/how-to-recover-deleted-photos-on-android

I have never used it before so I do not know how credible it is.

If you need more help on rooting, XDA Developers is a great forum for this.

Also, how do you know you need root to recover your deleted photos?

Any app that recovers photos seems to be need to be rooted

Well there goes her warranty Cuz it failed a root like 3 times :/

should be fine. it failed, so you probably havent tripped Knox yet

|Specs in profile|

OP, take a deep breath and sit down- you are FU*KED... HARD... Everything that you try leads to only 1 result- deleting info from phone... 

English is not my maternal language, so don't mind my mistakes... 

In any case if you want to still root your phone, this are the steps I took for my Note 4.

1. Install a custom recovery of your choice by flashing it with ODIN. Make sure that your phone variant is compatible with the custom recovery.

2. Download SuperSU zip and flash through recovery.

3. Done.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

In any case if you want to still root your phone, this are the steps I took for my Note 4.

1. Install a custom recovery of your choice by flashing it with ODIN. Make sure that your phone variant is compatible with the custom recovery.

2. Download SuperSU zip and flash through recovery.

3. Done.

Huh..

I'm a noob so..

Huh..

I'm a noob so..

Which variant of the S5 are you using? SM-G901F? or SM-G900F?

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Not sure anymore, we give up trying since those photos are probably long gone.

Okay, erm. Restart the phone, and note down the model number that is shown below the "Galaxy S5" logo thing when the phone boots.

EDIT: WAIT WAIT WAIT, I forgot it does not show anymore. Go to Settings > About Device/Phone > Model Number

never tried to unroot a phone, but theres no point, especially with samsung phones.  Samsung uses a program called Knox, which is known as an e-fuse. its designed to trip when it gets booted with a non-samsung boot loader or script, voiding the phones warranty. you probably could unroot the phone without too much trouble, but you can NOT revert the Knox status, they will know the phone was previously rooted.

I am now chatting with samsung expert I know from somewhere and there is a way to reset it he said.

But the problem is he won't say how to.

I am now chatting with samsung expert I know from somewhere and there is a way to reset it he said.

But the problem is he won't say how to.

apparently the developer of SuperSu also created a program called Triangle Away, that can reset Knox on a small selection of samsung phones. but its incredible unstable, and may not work

|Specs in profile|

apparently the developer of SuperSu also created a program called Triangle Away, that can reset Knox on a small selection of samsung phones. but its incredible unstable, and may not work

It just resets flash counter. Nothing to do With KNOX

It just resets flash counter. Nothing to do With KNOX

ooh you are correct. i missread it.   my bad

|Specs in profile|