Raspberry Pi - SAMBA and FTP

aviationjames

I have a Pi, and have coded it for FTP and SAMBA Shares. However I am having many issues, on the FTP side it will not transfer large files as it is only showing the free SD card space, even thought I have a USB Memory Stick mounted to a folder in /media/USB. - It says that it has ran out of space.

SAMBA - it is only showing the SD card and not any NAS drive or USB drive in windows, due to this I cannot transfer large files.

Please help me

I'm not sure about the ftp issue, if you're using vsftpd or another reputable ftp server it shouldn't be an issue (make sure you're using binary mode and the filesystem supports it). The samba problem can be fixed by creating a separate share for the usb drive (or change the dfree command, not sure about that anymore)

I'm not sure about the ftp issue, but the samba one can be fixed by creating a seperate share for the usb drive (or change the dfree command, not sure about that anymore)

I have tried mounting the USB on the root, and it then shows the capacity on MY PC, but still says there is not enough space

I have tried mounting the USB on the root, and it then shows the capacity on MY PC, but still says there is not enough space

Hmm, and you're fully sure the filesystem supports the files (For example if you're using FAT32 there's a 4GB filesize limit). I also found this, which explains changing the dfree command (this is the script that calculates the amount of free space)

Hmm, and you're fully sure the filesystem supports the files (For example if you're using FAT32 there's a 4GB filesize limit). I also found this, which explains changing the dfree command (this is the script that calculates the amount of free space)

Oooppppsss. I'm using FAT32. In fact, I am now converting it to EXT3, as its a linux format I think? Okay, thanks I will look into this

Oooppppsss. I'm using FAT32. In fact, I am now converting it to EXT3, as its a linux format I think? Okay, thanks I will look into this

That could be it ;) Let me know if there's something else you need help with.

That could be it ;) Let me know if there's something else you need help with.

Ok, it is still changing the format. Also, is there any way I can increase the speed of the FTP and SAMBA?

Ok, it is still changing the format. Also, is there any way I can increase the speed of the FTP and SAMBA?

Since the raspberry pi has a 100Mbps ethernet port, not really (assuming you're getting stuck at about 12MB/s). Usb ethernet adapters might increase it to 200-300 but never to 1Gbps.

Since the raspberry pi has a 100Mbps ethernet port, not really (assuming you're getting stuck at about 12MB/s). Usb ethernet adapters might increase it to 200-300 but never to 1Gbps.

Good point. Well it starts at 9MB, then drops to 2MB

I have formatted it and have mounted it, but when I try to use filezilla I get "could not create file", and for SAMBA....

post-193341-0-25531400-1440534226.png