best r9 390

themaniac
Go to solution Solved by Zayzo,

ok but is there any difference between the 2 msi cards i linked?

Go with this one

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-r9390gaming8g

so i originally was going to get the 970 but slowly i have been changing my mind so my question is what is the best r9 390

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Sapphire Nitro is great,

Powercolor PCS+ is amazing

MSI gaming variant is also baller.

I prefer the powercolor, all three coolers are about equal, but i prefer the PCS+ styling and cooler over others.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Sapphire make the best Radeon cards, and is also exclusive to Radeon cards. 'Nuff said.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

so i originally was going to get the 970 but slowly i have been changing my mind so my question is what is the best r9 390

The MSI card is one of the best and cheapest right now. I'd go with that one.

The best R9 390 is a GTX 970. Honestly the driver support and the overall performance isn't outstanding on the 390. I mean sure the 3.5GB's of VRAM is a downfall of the 970 but if you're looking at 8GB's of VRAM as a win you're sadly mistaken. The GTX 980ti has 6GB's of VRAM and rightfully so, because it has the power to run a game that would consume that much VRAM. The 390 is not a powerful enough card to power a game that'll use that much VRAM and it's just some flair. If you're serious about getting a 390 don't, get a 290x and save yourself some money- you essentially have the same performance anyway.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

The MSI card is one of the best and cheapest right now. I'd go with that one.

well on pcpartpicker the powercolor is the cheapest ( https://pcpartpicker.com/part/powercolor-video-card-axr93908gbd5ppdhe ) , also what is the difference between these https://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-r9390gaming8g and https://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-r9390gaming8gle

Sapphire Nitro is great,

Powercolor PCS+ is amazing

MSI gaming variant is also baller.

I prefer the powercolor, all three coolers are about equal, but i prefer the PCS+ styling and cooler over others.

you are not wrong about the powercolor being the best looking 

Spoiler

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

The best R9 390 is a GTX 970. Honestly the driver support and the overall performance isn't outstanding on the 390. I mean sure the 3.5GB's of VRAM is a downfall of the 970 but if you're looking at 8GB's of VRAM as a win you're sadly mistaken. The GTX 980ti has 6GB's of VRAM and rightfully so, because it has the power to run a game that would consume that much VRAM. The 390 is not a powerful enough card to power a game that'll use that much VRAM and it's just some flair. If you're serious about getting a 390 don't, get a 290x and save yourself some money- you essentially have the same performance anyway.

Driver support atm is a hit and miss for BOTH companies. Not just AMD. And actually atm, Nvidia has the less stable driver. Now, that's bound to change in a few weeks, but that's just how it is.

The 390 performs better, and if not, then the same as the 970. 

How is 8gbs NOT a selling point? Already we're seeing problems with 3gbs of vram on cards at 1080p, it's safe to assume in a couple years 4gbs will become more and more common, so for not losing anything, how can getting rid of vram problems NOT be wicked?

The 390 can most definitely use 6+gbs of vram at 4k mate, you don't seem to really understand how gpus work. Once again, no one expects it to use all 8gbs, but its nice to have 8gbs so you NEVER have to worry about vram, like, ever.

The most bland 390, is still as fast as the faster 290Xs out there, and it's cheaper. 

The better option is the 390 dude, please check up on your knowledge, you seem to be missing quite a bit of information or reasoning.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

well on pcpartpicker the powercolor is the cheapest ( https://pcpartpicker.com/part/powercolor-video-card-axr93908gbd5ppdhe ) , also what is the difference between these https://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-r9390gaming8g and https://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-r9390gaming8gle

you are not wrong about the powercolor being the best looking 

The MSI card will be quieter while offering similar cooling.

The MSI card will be quieter while offering similar cooling.

ok but is there any difference between the 2 msi cards i linked?

Spoiler

Spoiler