G3258 overclock disabled in Windows 10?

Tim

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a CPU, mobo and some ram for a budget gaming PC. Have around $300 for those 3 components. (Upgrading the PC you can see here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/363220-free-gaming-pc-for-a-friend/)

I was about to buy a G3258 but I've just read that windows 10 stops any overclocks from working. Is this true?

Should I even bother with the G3258, as an i3 4160 is also within budget?

Thanks in advance 

If a i3 is already within budget just get that it's better

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/L6W6pg

Here you go. $298 on the dot.

Oh if you don't want micro ATX just ask.

@Tim

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Some people have reported that their overclocks with the g3258 broke with windows 10. It may just be a bios issue, fixable with an update.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a CPU, mobo and some ram for a budget gaming PC. Have around $300 for those 3 components. (Upgrading the PC you can see here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/363220-free-gaming-pc-for-a-friend/)

I was about to buy a G3258 but I've just read that windows 10 stops any overclocks from working. Is this true?

Should I even bother with the G3258, as an i3 4160 is also within budget?

Thanks in advance 

I FOUND A WAY AROUND IT https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/3f3mro/discussion_psa_windows_10_currently_not/ctnuduk it is part of the microcode update intel pushed to windows i think to stop people from overclocking on non z series boards

My i5 6500 is bad and can't even maintain 4.5ghz, and 4.4ghz causes it to slowly become unstable over weeks with a vcore of 1.395. FML

I'm actually in the UK (knew most on here are over the pond so gave budget in dollars). Unfortunately i5s are a little more over here and getting one would impact the performance and quality of the mobo and RAM. I'd rather run an i3 with a high quality board and ram than an i5 with some shanky mobo to get in budget. 

Thinking the 4160 is my best bet as it seems to run almost every game pretty well. 

I'd rather run an i3 with a high quality board and ram than an i5 with some shanky mobo to get in budget. 

Why? An i5 on an H81 board will smash an i3 on an ROG Z97 board in gaming, and RAM speeds don't matter unless you're using integrated graphics.

bJWATRs.png

Only slightly over budget at £225, not as bad as I was expecting. Gotta be worth it