most lightweight linux distro with a GUI out there

I need a distro like that because i need to set up a router on a somewhat remote place and i have to use this shitty ass netbook i have in hand, so i just need an OS that has the essentially to run a web browser. I was going to use crunchbang but the project is terminated. Since i'm in a bit of a hurry it has to pretty much be a ready to go solution that i can run on a usb drive.

All help is appreciated.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Puppy Linux, Damn Small Linux or if you're feeling adventurous Arch if you want to install a GUI.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

I need a distro like that because i need to set up a router on a somewhat remote place and i have to use this shitty ass netbook i have in hand, so i just need an OS that has the essentially to run a web browser. I was going to use crunchbang but the project is terminated. Since i'm in a bit of a hurry it has to pretty much be a ready to go solution that i can run on a usb drive.

All help is appreciated.

Puppy Linux :3

Damn Small Linux

Any distro with a lightweight DE/WM. 

cmp-all4.png

So install something like Debian, or a *buntu variant, and install one of these DEs/WMs.  I personally say i3.  All of these are in MBs.

if you are really considering something brutally slimmed down but still with a lot of functionality I reccommend Slitaz or Slax .

The problem is that most notebooks have additional functions and need additional functionality to work properly when compared to desktops, it turns out that the GUI frameworks are responsable for that part too, for example a GUI has to handle commands relative to the brightness of your screen and all that macro/FN keys on your keyboard; there aren't that many GUI frameworks under linux that can do that part properly, Gnome 3 is probably the only gui that does this fairly well .

After all you can also use any other GUI if you are just happy with what it has to offer, there are few lightweight ones like Mate ( is basically the continuation of the Gnome 2 project ), Xfce or lxde .

Try Debian or Archlinux, they can be customized really easily and there is a lot of documentation for them .

• 2 weeks later...