ASUS R9 390 DCII Heat Issue

Arvizal

So. I have a ASUS R9 390 DCII, (think that's the term for 2 fans on the gnu, heh). Pretty much all the games I play make the GPU reach 80 - 90 degrees. I know this isn't normal, since my friends with the same GPU have been getting much lower temps for the same games. The room temperature during the summer is around 82-ish degrees fahrenheit, which is damn hot! :/ The case is the Noctis 450 with a default fan setup, where there are 3 intake 120mm in the front, and 1 exhaust 140mm in the back. The only fan slots I have left are the two in the top of the case, and that supports 120mm or 140mm. Should I utilise them for cooling? And if I should, should one (or both, idk) of them be intake(s) or exhaust(s)? If it makes any difference, I have a Hyper 212X on a i5 4690K (stock atm), that pushes out air right in front of the exhaust, so it kinda the exhaust and cpu cooler kinda look like: <---- [exhaust] <--air---  [cpu cooler fan] <----, if that made any sense. I have a simple diagram if you guys need it of the airflow of my PC, or how I think it is. 

I can clarify more, obviously. Just ask! Thanks for the help in advance!!

EDIT: The PC is 2 weeks old. Can dust be an issue?

Do you still get the same temps when you raise the gpu fan speed? 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

The case fans should not be the problem, as 3 intake fans is a lot.

Just make sure it dosent have too much dust in the ehatsink, and have a look at the fan curve in msi afterburner. Sometimes they are set a bit too quiet out of the factory, leading to higher temps...

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

Do you still get the same temps when you raise the gpu fan speed? 

It's at max @ 80 degrees, according to afterburner :/

The case fans should not be the problem, as 3 intake fans is a lot.

Just make sure it dosent have too much dust in the ehatsink, and have a look at the fan curve in msi afterburner. Sometimes they are set a bit too quiet out of the factory, leading to higher temps...

I added that in. I doubt it's a dust issue since it's a new PC, but it's worth a look, I suppose. 

It's at max @ 80 degrees, according to afterburner :/

What happens when you take the side panel off? Do the temps drop?

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

What happens when you take the side panel off? Do the temps drop?

I'll try that and get back to you. I didn't think that would work, since the air is less "directed" into the parts. Taking it off now. Thanks!

So. I have a ASUS R9 390 DCII, (think that's the term for 2 fans on the gnu, heh). Pretty much all the games I play make the GPU reach 80 - 90 degrees. I know this isn't normal, since my friends with the same GPU have been getting much lower temps for the same games. The room temperature during the summer is around 82-ish degrees fahrenheit, which is damn hot! :/ The case is the Noctis 450 with a default fan setup, where there are 3 intake 120mm in the front, and 1 exhaust 140mm in the back. The only fan slots I have left are the two in the top of the case, and that supports 120mm or 140mm. Should I utilise them for cooling? And if I should, should one (or both, idk) of them be intake(s) or exhaust(s)? If it makes any difference, I have a Hyper 212X on a i5 4690K (stock atm), that pushes out air right in front of the exhaust, so it kinda the exhaust and cpu cooler kinda look like: <---- [exhaust] <--air---  [cpu cooler fan] <----, if that made any sense. I have a simple diagram if you guys need it of the airflow of my PC, or how I think it is. 

I can clarify more, obviously. Just ask! Thanks for the help in advance!!

EDIT: The PC is 2 weeks old. Can dust be an issue?

I am pretty sure it's the same problem as with the 290 - it is unable to dissipate heat because it doesn't have full contact with the copper pipes (only 3 out of 5 pipes are effectively transferring heat or something).

It's just a bad cooler, that's all. If you can, take it back to the store, and do some research before going there of course - to see what cooler is the best for the 390. I believe Sapphires design, as well as MSIs design is pretty good.

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

I'm sure that there's no problem, its just AMD cards run hot, as expected. 

Case fans aren't a huge factor here as the N450 is a very good case designed for air flow and keeping everything cool.

Early 2020 Build : Intel i7 8700k // MSI Krait Z370 // Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Aorus 5700 XT // NZXT H500 

Early 2019 Build : Ryzen 2600X // Asus Tuff X470 // G.Skill Trident Z RGB 8x2 16GB // MSI RTX 2070 // NZXT H500 

Late 2017 Build : Intel i7 8700k // Asus Prime Z370-A // G.Skill Trident Z 8x2 16GB // EVGA GTX 1080 Ti  // NZXT S320 Elite 

Late 2015 Build : Intel i7 6700k // Asus Maximus VI Gene Z170 //  Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Gigabyte GTX 970 // Corsair Air 240

I am pretty sure it's the same problem as with the 290 - it is unable to dissipate heat because it doesn't have full contact with the copper pipes (only 3 out of 5 pipes are effectively transferring heat or something).

It's just a bad cooler, that's all. If you can, take it back to the store, and do some research before going there of course - to see what cooler is the best for the 390. I believe Sapphires design, as well as MSIs design is pretty good.

Is there ANYTHING I can do? I want to try some things out before going to the store. 

I was pretty sure this would perform just as bad as the previous DCUII cooler but some reviews on newegg show otherwise, this guy for example: 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121962

Pros: I've searched for this information but it seems no one did a full/proper review of this card so I thought'd I'd buy one and do one my self.

Asus's last r9 290 and 290x did not cool well at all, actually terribly. They seem to have fixed the contact for this new gen/refresh. Card has no coil under load (gaming) some coil whine while browsing the net but nothing terrible (had a GTX 980 and it did the same). Something that seems new over the old Asus 290 is the LED light for the PCI-E power connector is now white when connected successfully instead of green.

TEMPERATURES- All have been corrected to 20c ambient 

STOCK CLOCK AND FAN PROFILE- 73c under full load (gaming for 1 hour) 

STOCK CLOCK AND CUSTOM FAN PROFILE- 60-63c

fan speed never goes over 55%. You can hear the fan a tiny bit but PC speakers or head sets will drown it out completely.

Tested ASIC quality %84.5

1100Mhz Core 1600mhz ram (+.19 voltage)- 76c STOCK FAN PROFILE

1100Mhz Core 1600mhz ram (+.19 voltage)- 66c CUSTOM FAN PROFILE, fan speed never goes over 55%. You can hear the fan a tiny bit but PC speakers or head sets will drown it out completely.

OVERCLOCKING- I've managed to get it to 1150mhz stable with +.28 voltage @ 69c with custom fan profile listed above.

While overclocked I have not seen more then a 5% difference between this R9 390 and my old GTX 980, with the 390 actually coming out ahead in a few titles (especially at 4K)

DRIVERS: Did not have an issue with the drivers. Steps to take if you are having issues.

Reboot computer into safe mode and use software such as driver sweeper to remove all old drivers. Reboot in normal mode and then install fresh drivers.

GETTING INTO SAFE MODE-

start>run>msconfig.exe>Boot>BootOptions>Select safemode with networking>apply>OK>reboot computer

GETTING OUT OF SAFE MODE- Follow the process but uncheck items

Cons: The last gen r9 290s and 290x's gave you the option to put on the red or gold stickers. It seems with the 390 and 390x they are permanently adhered to it

Other Thoughts: Final thoughts- This card seems to out preform the r9 390 and 390x Strix in terms of temperatures and fan noise. At roughly the same price this is the one to get despite not having a visual face lift from the 290 and 290x.

And this review also says there is an improvement in temps...

Is there ANYTHING I can do? I want to try some things out before going to the store. 

Not really to be honest.

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

I was pretty sure this would perform just as bad as the previous DCUII cooler but some reviews on newegg show otherwise, this guy for example: 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121962

And this review also says there is an improvement in temps...

I just thought it was the same cooler. Thanks for correcting me, but it still seems like OPs card is overheating. I would still say - try and take it to the store, complain about it being to hot, switch it out for one with a better cooler.

Alright guys, I called the guys at the store, and they said they'll be "happy to help".  No idea what that means, but it better mean they're gonna change the cooler / card! :3 

Thanks all!

Never ASUS for high end AMD gpus. Nothing can be done.

HARDWARE INTERRUPT MOTHAF#%A!
WINDOWS 10 = adware, driven by spyware

I just thought it was the same cooler. Thanks for correcting me, but it still seems like OPs card is overheating. I would still say - try and take it to the store, complain about it being to hot, switch it out for one with a better cooler.

Can't fault you for that. No one bothered to review the DCUII 390/x so information on them is very sparse.   

Alright guys, I called the guys at the store, and they said they'll be "happy to help".  No idea what that means, but it better mean they're gonna change the cooler / card! :3 

Thanks all!

But did the temps drop when you removed the side panel?

Never ASUS for high end AMD gpus. Nothing can be done.

Reported temps are around 70 degrees for the games I'm playing, so yeah, reliability, maybe not, but it should usually be fine, if you buy from the right places which allow exchanges. I hope. 

But did the temps drop when you removed the side panel?

4 degrees-ish. Does that mean something?

Might mean that the card wasn't getting enough fresh air and therefore resulted in the higher temps. Do you have a bottom air intake? 

It does mean a little bit - however I had the same with my GTX 970 MSI - it dropped a few degrees when taking off the side panel. Still, the card you have should not be sitting at 80C with 100% fan speed, starved or not

You might need a better airflow. Also, more negative pressure. I am curious of the VRM temps. 290/290x DCUII cards had it really bad.

HARDWARE INTERRUPT MOTHAF#%A!
WINDOWS 10 = adware, driven by spyware

Might mean that the card wasn't getting enough fresh air and therefore resulted in the higher temps. Do you have a bottom air intake? 

3 at the front: one is pretty much directed right at the GPU. My friend was saying that the 3:1 intake to exhaust isn't great, and heat is getting "jammed" in the case, and that I should get an exhaust. Is he correct?

3 at the front: one is pretty much directed right at the GPU. My friend was saying that the 3:1 intake to exhaust isn't great, and heat is getting "jammed" in the case, and that I should get an exhaust. Is he correct?

Are there any drive cages between the intake fans and the GPU?

Are there any drive cages between the intake fans and the GPU?

Nope. I took all of them out, besides the 2 at the top for my ssd and hdd. 

there's nothing you can do, its an AMD card, they run hot simple as that, unless you do a custom loop you can't really bring temps down

Early 2020 Build : Intel i7 8700k // MSI Krait Z370 // Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Aorus 5700 XT // NZXT H500 

Early 2019 Build : Ryzen 2600X // Asus Tuff X470 // G.Skill Trident Z RGB 8x2 16GB // MSI RTX 2070 // NZXT H500 

Late 2017 Build : Intel i7 8700k // Asus Prime Z370-A // G.Skill Trident Z 8x2 16GB // EVGA GTX 1080 Ti  // NZXT S320 Elite 

Late 2015 Build : Intel i7 6700k // Asus Maximus VI Gene Z170 //  Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Gigabyte GTX 970 // Corsair Air 240