4790k or 6700k CONSIDERING

which cpu to get considering that if i were to go for the 6700k for only 50 dollars more i could grab a 5820k. instead 

5820K.

Regards Elias N Martinez. | Graphic and motion design are my jobs. 3D modeling is my hobby. I do what I enjoy.  Skype: eliasnmartinez1 (please state that you are coming from LTT)

Ignoring the 5820K, comparing the two, get the 6700K. There's absolutely no point in buying into a dead platform, you're locking yourself into a dead end in terms of CPU/RAM upgrades.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

5820k, buying the 6700k is not worth it.

Need a lot more information.

What are you moving from? What are your applications? (gaming, productivity, etc.) What features do you need? Where do you want to see the biggest performance increase?

If you're doing anything productivity related (video encoding, streaming, VM's, etc.) 5820k and X99 is the way to go. If your only concern is gaming and basic tasks either the 4790k or 6700k will get the job done, but I would lean towards Skylake assuming you're not carrying over an obscene amount of DDR3.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

obviously the 4790k isnt just going to be completely disapear off the market immediately, and from my understanding ram isnt a big setback on speeds unless you are using on board graphics, however when the 4790k stops being produced will the 6700 price go down to the price of the 4790 320$~

Need a lot more information.

What are you moving from? What are your applications? (gaming, productivity, etc.) What features do you need? Where do you want to see the biggest performance increase?

If you're doing anything productivity related (video encoding, streaming, VM's, etc.) 5820k and X99 is the way to go. If your only concern is gaming and basic tasks either the 4790k or 6700k will get the job done, but I would lean towards Skylake assuming you're not carrying over an obscene amount of DDR3.

i5 2310 and z77 sabertooth i will be replacing the ram for larger sticks if i go with ddr3 and gaming- light editing (rendering videos, and some program to introduce my self into digital art)

Ignoring the 5820K, comparing the two, get the 6700K. There's absolutely no point in buying into a dead platform, you're locking yourself into a dead end in terms of CPU/RAM upgrades.

I'd wait before I tell anyone to get that 6700K. It's the same price as a 5820K, a good mobo is about the same price, they both use the expensive DDR4 modules, and the X99 platform will handle XMP memory OCing and anything to do with bclk adjustments better.

Also, there's been some (not 100% confirmed yet) issues with multiGPU configs using Skylake's platform. If it is true, it's currently a worse platform than both Z97 and X99, and should be ignored entirely. I either tell someone to get a 4790K or a 5820K now; there's currently no real reason to take Skylake mainstream.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

i5 2310 and z77 sabertooth i will be replacing the ram for larger sticks if i go with ddr3 and gaming- light editing (rendering videos, and some program to introduce my self into digital art)

O_o that is an odd CPU/MOBO combo, but you can sell that board for a decent amount as-is (I loved that damn thing). Packaging the board, CPU, and RAM will only net you more to go towards Z97/170 or X99.

If you're planning on moving more into productivity X99 would be the way to go, the 2c/4t advantage of the 5820k is too good to pass up IMO. If you're in the US Microcenter retails the 5820k for $300USD in store, other vendors sometimes honor that price. :D

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

O_o that is an odd CPU/MOBO combo, but you can sell that board for a decent amount as-is (I loved that damn thing). Packaging the board, CPU, and RAM will only net you more to go towards Z97/170 or X99.

If you're planning on moving more into productivity X99 would be the way to go, the 2c/4t advantage of the 5820k is too good to pass up IMO. If you're in the US Microcenter retails the 5820k for $300USD in store, other vendors sometimes honor that price. :D

yeah im probably gonna sell it to my friend cpu and mobo 300$~ tbh i bought my entrie set up pre built and got ripped off, by a lot but i didnt do much research. so now im just on these forums gaining a mass amount of knowledge before i replace these parts

But is it still overkill just for 90% gaming and 10% productivity?

5820 for sure. It may be overkill for gaming but it will last you a long time for just 50.00 more.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

yeah im probably gonna sell it to my friend cpu and mobo 300$~ tbh i bought my entrie set up pre built and got ripped off, by a lot but i didnt do much research. so now im just on these forums gaining a mass amount of knowledge before i replace these parts

You should probably research on different forums too. This forum is full of Skylake hater. 

I mean you should have read some reviews by yourself, therfore you allready should know skylake is superior to Devils Canyon in everything. 

In these forums you get the advice to get the 4790k over the 6700k even if you build from scratch. But there is no reason to but hate and ignorance.

Exactly the same thing happened when the 5820k was released, everyone here hated on it. And now its the most recommended CPU on this Forums.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

which cpu to get considering that if i were to go for the 6700k for only 50 dollars more i could grab a 5820k. instead 

If you're starting form scratch, the z97 platform doesn't make sense. So you'd be choosing between skylake and haswell-e, this platforms are for different purposes, haswell-e gives no advantage in gaming, nothing, but if you render, edit, stream, etc, the 5820k is massively superior. If you are mostly gaming, the 6700k makes more sense. However for a 50 bucks difference, i would go with the 5820k

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB+WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified
  • Display(s)
    ASUS PB277Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Corsair H105 with AP121s and Phanteks fans
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
    E-3lue E-Blue Mazer II 2500 DPI Blue LED 2.4GHz Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

If you're starting form scratch, the z97 platform doesn't make sense. So you'd be choosing between skylake and haswell-e, this platforms are for different purposes, haswell-e gives no advantage in gaming, nothing, but if you render, edit, stream, etc, the 5820k is massively superior. If you are mostly gaming, the 6700k makes more sense. However for a 50 bucks difference, i would go with the 5820k

By that statement, streaming/recording by some degree (though mainly not the focus), its better to opt in for a 5820k. Because It is a bit of tug o' war when it comes to these

two CPU's. I myself is a bit conflicted because researching various articles and forums, to me seems neck and neck.

By that statement, streaming/recording by some degree (though mainly not the focus), its better to opt in for a 5820k. Because It is a bit of tug o' war when it comes to these

two CPU's. I myself is a bit conflicted because researching various articles and forums, to me seems neck and neck.

It's like comparing a 980 to a 980ti, if you're only playing at 1080 60Hz, you're wasting your money on a 980ti, but if you play at higher resolutions, refresh rates or you plan on doing so in the future then the 980 ti makes sense. If you are only gaming, you won't use the extra cores, cache and processing power of the 5820k, but if you are doing CPU demanding tasks and the overall cost difference is acceptable, then a 5820k makes sense. Overall the 5820k is better, in gaming it will match the 6700k but in other tasks it will be much better, the only question is, does the extra processing power have value for you, simple as that.

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB+WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified
  • Display(s)
    ASUS PB277Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Corsair H105 with AP121s and Phanteks fans
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
    E-3lue E-Blue Mazer II 2500 DPI Blue LED 2.4GHz Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

It's like comparing a 980 to a 980ti, if you're only playing at 1080 60Hz, you're wasting your money on a 980ti, but if you play at higher resolutions, refresh rates or you plan on doing so in the future then the 980 ti makes sense. If you are only gaming, you won't use the extra cores, cache and processing power of the 5820k, but if you are doing CPU demanding tasks and the overall cost difference is acceptable, then a 5820k makes sense. Overall the 5820k is better, in gaming it will match the 6700k but in other tasks it will be much better, the only question is, does the extra processing power have value for you, simple as that.

I guess it's because seeing numbers on websites that both look good have me a bit conflicted. I do see the value into the 5820k but I feel like I would use it for its rightful purpose. Gaming has always relied on GPUS processing for the most part, so I tend to grasp the benchmarks on those better than CPU benchmarks

i guess most of m confliction came with the prices of the asus deluxe board xD, no matter which platform i would have gone one of those two for ddr4  but the price difference for each chipset, i could have sworn the deluxe was cheaper for the x99 on release the 3 antenna wifi is what i really want, saves me the money of buying a asus pce 86 and a cheapo sound card as i normally have multiple audio ports filled when using the pc, speakers headset stuff like that. but from what i understand from all the posts is x99 is the way to go, even though z170 is good a couple dollars more would be fine for the "potential" performance  and i can somewhat agree with shadowr1ku on the overall usage of the pc. I think ill be going x99 when i start buying parts, around 800$ saved up and probably another 500~ when i sell the old pc specs thanks everyone for sharing their opinions