Network speed slowdown (DD-WRT)

Go to solution Solved by Guest,

I was thinking that or the CPU, but the firmware doesn't say so:2itflm8.jpg

If it's a bad router, it might be a bad reading?

Yeah...

My AC66U is usually at $80 with about 10 people on...

Bad reading.

So Time Warner Cable upgraded the speed packages in my area for no additional cost (horray FCC complaint); top tier users get 340Mb/s | 20Mb/s (my package) for $108.00 USD /mo; Anyway when I confirmed the upgrade and moved to my new house, I found I was stuck at 100Mb/s regardless of what device or where I was located at... turns out the Motorola SB6141 (8x4 modem which is rated for 344-ish Mb/s) isn't compatible with the service that TWC offers, instead you need a 16x4 modem to get the job done.

So I went out and bought the Motorola/Arris SB6183, which is a 16x4 modem and gets the job well done; I see my full speed while connected directly to the modem:

Here's the speed test:

j0l79z.jpg

(Side Note: I notice this test doesn't reflect my entire download as 311 is not 340, but I had miscellaneous devices connected that can account for the missing bandwidth)

However, when I introduce my router; which is the ASUS RT-AC66U (running DD-WRT firmware) to the mix, I find my download speed is capped at about 94-98Mb/s, while the download remains untouched. This has me thinking that (even though I'm jacked into a Gigabit port) the port is downgrading itself to a 100Mb/s link; even though my computer (R5E board) is connected to the Gigabit port on the router via Cat6 cable.

Here's the speed test for that deal:

op0ll4.png

I've played around with the VLan settings page on the router firmware, which is all set to Auto-Negotiation with Gigabit and Full-Duplex modes grayed out. If I uncheck Auto-Negotiation, the port fails to identify any device connected to that port, and the configuration page won't load. This forces me to reflash the router (which I'm getting quite tired of now) and reset the settings.

QoS is disabled, UPnP is Enabled, DHCP Static Routing Tables are in-place for the n devices connected; I've boosted the router's CPU to the max overclock that the firmware allows (IIRC it's 662Mhz). I've attempted to configure the computer to run at only a 1Gb/s link-speed, but I'm still getting no result, I'm still capped at 100Mb/s on the download no matter which way I turn.

What am I doing wrong or overlooking?

Help would be greatly appreciated.

- Thank you.

V/r

PiGHamM3R

Lunix Is An Illegal Hacker Operating System

| [CPU] Intel i7 5960X (4.5GHz) | [Mobo] ASUS Rampage V E10 | [RAM] G. Skill Ripjaws 4 64GB (8x8GB) | [CPU Cooler] Custom Acrylic | [OS Drive] Samsung 970 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD | [Storage] WD Black 4TB (x2 RAID 0) | [GPU] ASUS GTX 980 (x2 stock) | [PSU] Corsair AX1200i | [Case] Corsair 900D | [Keyboard] Corsair K95 Platinum | [Mouse] Corsair Dark Core RGB | [speakers] Logitech Z906 | [Monitors] ASUS VS278Q-P (x3 27"s) |

The router doesn't have 10/100/1000 Ethernet ports.

I was about to say...

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTAC66U/specifications/

1 x RJ45 for 10/100/1000 BaseT for WAN, 4 x RJ45 for 10/100/1000 BaseT for LAN, Support Ethernet and 802.3 with max. bit rate 10/100/1000 Mbps and auto cross-over function(MDI-X)
USB 2.0 x 2

It's got the ports...

| [CPU] Intel i7 5960X (4.5GHz) | [Mobo] ASUS Rampage V E10 | [RAM] G. Skill Ripjaws 4 64GB (8x8GB) | [CPU Cooler] Custom Acrylic | [OS Drive] Samsung 970 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD | [Storage] WD Black 4TB (x2 RAID 0) | [GPU] ASUS GTX 980 (x2 stock) | [PSU] Corsair AX1200i | [Case] Corsair 900D | [Keyboard] Corsair K95 Platinum | [Mouse] Corsair Dark Core RGB | [speakers] Logitech Z906 | [Monitors] ASUS VS278Q-P (x3 27"s) |

What freq is the CPU running at?

Also, how many clients do you have?

From your description of everything, It has to be a problem with the router.

Have you tried running it with the stock firmware installed?

No, I have not; I rather not run stock firmware (as I like the features of DD-WRT), but it remains a near last option for me; if I get time to tinker with it tonight I may flash stock and see if that solves it.

What freq is the CPU running at?

Also, how many clients do you have?

662Mhz (confirmed) and 12 clients connected (2 Cat6, 10 wireless spread over 2.4GHz & 5.0GHz)

No, I have not; I rather not run stock firmware (as I like the features of DD-WRT), but it remains a near last option for me; if I get time to tinker with it tonight I may flash stock and see if that solves it.

662Mhz (confirmed) and 12 clients connected (2 Cat6, 10 wireless spread over 2.4GHz & 5.0GHz)

Sounds like the RAM is being pinned %100

Sounds like the RAM is being pinned %100

I was thinking that or the CPU, but the firmware doesn't say so:

2itflm8.jpg

I was thinking that or the CPU, but the firmware doesn't say so:2itflm8.jpg

Yeah...

Bad reading.

Yeah...

Bad reading.

Figures... Out of 3 ASUS monitors, motherboards and video cards, this is the first bad device I've had (too bad it's out of warranty). I'll leave this question open for a bit longer, let someone else chime in and see if it ends up working. When I get home tonight to tinker with it and maybe flash stock and see what that brings.

Thank you for the input people. I'll return later to update this thread.

Update: So I flashed stock and got the same results, no increase in speed (I even tried Merlin).

I'll use DD-WRT for the time being, I'm leaving in about ~20 days (for only Thor knows how long) so it shouldn't be much of an issue as the rest of the house doesn't use nearly that much bandwidth (the most would be 4k Netflix and XBone at the same time).

Is this an excuse to upgrade? Soon!

Thank you for the help guys.