How to stop cats eating & chewing cables (Linus Cat Tips)

Go to solution Solved by Holford,

I had the same problems and like most have said,  Playing with your cat and having cat toys around help a lot.  Also having great cable management is a must. They are less likely to try and bite a cable if its running along an edge rather then it just hanging there in the open. Also more LinusCatTip videos or Riot!

Just mount the cables and power strip(s) under the desk and don't let them lay around on the ground. (cable ties or velcro straps (would suggest velcro for the cables) )

Its: 

A cleaner

B easier to clean the ground and

C the cats can't eat your cables anymore.

A 12 guage Remington pump does wonders. :P

Seriously, stuff a different room full of cat toys. They will never wander into your room with the electronics.

Thanks all. I think i'm going to go for a mixture of solutions. Mini-trunking along the cables as they leave my tower (so they're protected by a 'shield' from the cats), and feed them into larger cable single trunking that is fed up my desk's back & attached to it with adhesive strips.

That, and give them lots more play time (something i've honestly been lax in doing with them lately, as my wife & I have been working so much, and been so tired).

Cheers guys!

mWrClBI.png

So as the title suggests, I need helping preventing my three ferocious felines from fletcherising the cables of my soon to be new PC rig.

i've read tales of spraying your cables with citrus solutions (not a particularly appealing notion), but I wanted to hear what my fellow cat guardian TechTippians & what you have done to prevent your precious kitties from mangling their also precious wiring?

Thanks all!

Media Producer & PC Enthusiast

Click here for my The Red Shift Build Log thread, or click here for my Lancelot HTPC Build Log.

mWrClBI.png

So as the title suggests, I need helping preventing my three ferocious felines from fletcherising the cables of my soon to be new PC rig.

i've read tales of spraying your cables with citrus solutions (not a particularly appealing notion), but I wanted to hear what my fellow cat guardian TechTippians & what you have done to prevent your precious kitties from mangling their also precious wiring?

Thanks all!

an air rifle works well :) JKJKJKJK move the cables off the floor

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

my cat doesn't do that

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Do they bite anything around the house currently?  I've never heard of cats being really disruptive/destructive.  Any cat I've been around ignores me and naps on a chair all day.... so never a problem.

Do they bite anything around the house currently?  I've never heard of cats being really disruptive/destructive.  Any cat I've been around ignores me and naps on a chair all day.... so never a problem.

Ah fair enough - no our cats, particularly the more dumb one of the three, have a tenacity for chewing through all kinds of cables. In the last 8 months, they've chewed through and destroyed £400 / $620 worth of headphones!! Not to mention countless phone chargers, gnawing at our laptop chargers, and they've figured out where we keep our headphones and have gone as far as to OPEN ZIPPERS, and knock down our coats TO GET IN THE POCKETS!!

I love them. I really do. But man, that morning I found the remains of my £150 Marshall Headphones next to the bedroom door... 

Click here for my The Red Shift Build Log thread, or click here for my Lancelot HTPC Build Log.

My cats chewed on my headphones too but stopped once they got closer to 1 year old. Normally cats chew on things because they are bored or curious. Give them a couple of toys to mess around with and keep them stimulated.

If they keep doing it, try to catch them in the act and spray them with some water.

I had the same problems and like most have said,  Playing with your cat and having cat toys around help a lot.  Also having great cable management is a must. They are less likely to try and bite a cable if its running along an edge rather then it just hanging there in the open. Also more LinusCatTip videos or Riot!

i7 5820k, Asus Deluxe x99 3.1 board, 2 Strix980tis Sli, Intel 480gb SSD, 4T WD Black, Asus PG278Q, Acer xb271hu, UpDesk! 

Seriously, stuff a different room full of cat toys. They will never wander into your room with the electronics.

Sgt. Murphy says, "Never forget that your weapons and equipment were made by the lowest bidder."

Just mount the cables and power strip(s) under the desk and don't let them lay around on the ground. (cable ties or velcro straps (would suggest velcro for the cables) )

Its: 

A cleaner

~ ThxAndBye

"You should remove any cats from the vicinity, because cats will cause all kinds of problems doing CPU installation." -Linus

delid i7-3770k @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.265V | EVGA z77 FTW | GTX 680 2way-SLI | 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 1866MHz | 240GB SSD RAID 0 | Full Custom Water Loop with two 360mm radiators  -> live temps <-

Its: 

A cleaner

Thanks all. I think i'm going to go for a mixture of solutions. Mini-trunking along the cables as they leave my tower (so they're protected by a 'shield' from the cats), and feed them into larger cable single trunking that is fed up my desk's back & attached to it with adhesive strips.

That, and give them lots more play time (something i've honestly been lax in doing with them lately, as my wife & I have been working so much, and been so tired).

Cheers guys!

Lol my the beagle my wife bought 3 yrs ago did about $100-150 in damages to my dual monitor gaming rig.

Thank god for ebay and $2 cables. Although it cost $89 to replace my surround pc speakers with same model. Now if i could get our new puppy to stop stealing our socks lol she even tries to eat food with them in her mouth

my cat doesn't do that

Great input, really helped the discussion. Can you stop trying to farm posts and maybe stay on the topic?

Cheers guys!

This will really only work if they bite them but if you take like a can of compressed air and turn it upside down so the liquid sprays out and you spray all the cables it will stop them because it has an extremely strong bitterant in them that will make the cat think twice.

Sky Pollution | i5 3570k @4.8Ghz | MSi z77a g45 | MSi GTX 770 Gaming 2gb | Samsung 840 Evo 250gb, Samsung OEM 500gb HDD | Corsair CX750m | Corsair 760t White Edition |
Corsair M95 | SuperLux 668b's | Logitech C615 | ViewSonic VX2250wm | Random OEM keyboard until I rage break it and grab another random OEM keyboard from my pile.
Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186413-sky-pollution-my-white-760t-build-rebuildupgrade/

This will really only work if they bite them but if you take like a can of compressed air and turn it upside down so the liquid sprays out and you spray all the cables it will stop them because it has an extremely strong bitterant in them that will make the cat think twice.

That's an excellent idea, thanks mate!

Great input, really helped the discussion. Can you stop trying to farm posts and maybe stay on the topic?

If I recall correctly, there's a report button at the bottom right of the post. It sounds like you're backseat moderating.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

You know, there is a way to get cats to defend your system from other cats.

Kind of a fighting fire with fire scenario. <_<

Sgt. Murphy says, "Never forget that your weapons and equipment were made by the lowest bidder."

You know, there is a way to get cats to defend your system from other cats.

Kind of a fighting fire with fire scenario. <_<

This needs to be either on a poster in my house, or a t-shirt on my body! Haha, thanks for sharing :)