Will my build with 550W PSU handle R9 390?

thrashy

As it is my first post on Linus Community forum, I would like to say hey everyone!

So few days ago, my old 560ti died and I was forced to choose my next card. I was balancing for few days between GTX 970 G1 Gaming from Gigabyte vs MSI R9 390. Sooo after long time of searching the web, watching benchmarks, YT vids and forum I decided I'm more into R9 390. 

PC Spec atm:

I5 2500K @4,3Ghz, 1,34 vcore

ASRock P67 Pro3 B3

Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB 1600Mhz CL9

XFX Pro 550W Core Edition (effective power - 528W)

So, will my PSU handle power demanding card like R9 390? From what I've read it should be perfectly fine as long I won't OC it. Do You guys see any OC space with this card on that PSU or should I upgrade it in future for OC purposes?

Thanks in advance for Your answers!  :)

As it is my first post on Linus Community forum, I would like to say hey everyone!

So few days ago, my old 560ti died and I was forced to choose my next card. I was balancing for few days between GTX 970 G1 Gaming from Gigabyte vs MSI R9 390. Sooo after long time of searching the web, watching benchmarks, YT vids and forum I decided I'm more into R9 390. 

PC Spec atm:

I5 2500K @4,3Ghz, 1,34 vcore

ASRock P67 Pro3 B3

Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB 1600Mhz CL9

XFX Pro 550W Core Edition (effective power - 528W)

So, will my PSU handle power demanding card like R9 390? From what I've read it should be perfectly fine as long I won't OC it. Do You guys see any OC space with this card on that PSU or should I upgrade it in future for OC purposes?

Thanks in advance for Your answers!  :)

It should be fine, but only just, using a 970 with 550W would be more than fine though

CPU: i5-4690K @ 4.0GHz GPU: Gigabyte Gtx 970 WindForce MOBO: Gigabyte Z97 Gaming-3 CASE: Corsair Carbide 200R PSU: Corsair RM750

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4GBx4  MOUSE: CM Mizar KEYBOARD: Logitec G110

A good 550w PSU like the one you have is enough for OC'ing the 390, you should have no problems.

For sure. Good choice in card too.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I have a 3930k and 390x overclocked and watercooled and my system while folding stays unded 500 watts so you should be fine. If you plan on adding a second card in the future, I would get a 750w.

It will be fine even when OCEd.

An AMD cpu has no place in a solely gaming build, end of.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why you shouldn't trust Gpu or Cpu boss Click on this I dare you!

Should handle it no problem !

MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 w/Core i5 3210M and glorious HD 4000 Graphics

Yes, it will, but if you're gaming at 1080p I'd go with the G1 970.

The 390 performs better than the 970 at 1080p too.

Thank You very much for such a fast replies!

As it comes to R9 390 vs Gtx 970, I couldn't decide which one to go for a few days, I was changing my mind every few hours but finally I decided to go with R9 390 (I've read some of the previous topics on the forum and more people recommended it over 970). I'm aware that 8GB of Vram on AMD card is a bit overkill and card itself has more power consumption than Nvidia. All my life I've had Geforce cards and they were working fine but I want to give a shot to AMD, especially that the prices are pretty much the same. I think I won't be disappointed with MSI R9 390 ;)

I have a 3930k and 390x overclocked and watercooled and my system while folding stays unded 500 watts so you should be fine. If you plan on adding a second card in the future, I would get a 750w.

No, I'm not going Crossfire any time soon since I would have to buy new motherboard aswell.

One more quick question, do You guys think it's worth to go Win 10 or I will be perfectly fine with Win 7 I currently have installed?

One more quick question, do You guys think it's worth to go Win 10 or I will be perfectly fine with Win 7 I currently have installed?

Stay with Win 7 and upgrade to Win 10 when it gets settled in.

Stay with Win 7 and upgrade to Win 10 when it gets settled in.

Ok then, MSI R9 390 ordered, thanks again for all Your help guys!!!! 

Ok then, MSI R9 390 ordered, thanks again for all Your help guys!!!! 

no prob :)

My system only uses 650-700 (including my monitor) when running intel extreme tuning utility (or whatever it's called) and uningine valley at the same time. I think you'll be fine with 550 and only one card, and a less power hungry CPU.

Desktop: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.1Ghz Enermax 360L  Gigabyte Aorus Extreme   Zotac 1080Ti AMP Extreme  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900  EVGA SuperNova 1000w G2  LG 34GK950f & ASUS PA248Q Klipsch Reference/Audeze Mobius

Synology Wireless AC-2600

Laptop: Alienware 17R5   Intel i7 8750H  Nvidia GTX1080   3840x2160 4k AdobeRGB IGZO Display   32GB DDR4 2133   256GB+1TB NVMe SSD    1TB Seagate SSHD   Killer 1550 Dual-Band Wireless AC

General rule, a 500W PSU should be enough for anyone with a single CPU and single GPU, my system draws like 350W off the wall with everything overclocked. Maybe your card is a little more power hungry, so let's add 50W, that's 400W with overclocking considered. VERY rough estimate, but you get the point.

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB+WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified
  • Display(s)
    ASUS PB277Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Corsair H105 with AP121s and Phanteks fans
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
    E-3lue E-Blue Mazer II 2500 DPI Blue LED 2.4GHz Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

Oh, and welcome to the forum!!

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB+WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified
  • Display(s)
    ASUS PB277Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Corsair H105 with AP121s and Phanteks fans
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
    E-3lue E-Blue Mazer II 2500 DPI Blue LED 2.4GHz Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

The 390 performs better than the 970 at 1080p too.

The difference is negligible and it'd be putting less load on the PSU, giving OP more headroom for overclocking and reliability.

"Rawr XD"