Stock Intel thermal paste vs arctic silver 5

So I purchased an i5 4690k and for right now I will be using the stock cooler that comes with it until I acquire an h100i. I have found that the stock cooler has some thermal paste on it already, would it be worth replacing with some arctic silver 5?

Sounds like a waste of time. New thermal paste won't make the stock coolers bad performance any better.

Yes, Replace with Arctic SIlver

its worth replacing pre-applyed Thermal paste since its cheap stuff pre-applyed

"Life's too Short, Use Express Install" Express install subject to spying
                                        -Microsoft 2015

dont waste that  on a stock cooler 

do you want cheap, pre-applyed thermal paste?

i sure dont

"Life's too Short, Use Express Install" Express install subject to spying
                                        -Microsoft 2015

i sure dont

smallest tube of AS5 lasts for at least 10 applications too, I dont see a reason not to go for it as well.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

i sure dont

smallest tube of AS5 lasts for at least 10 applications too, I dont see a reason not to go for it as well.

Stock coolers performance won't change. Why even bother with it? lmao

If you have excess TIM laying around, better to use it than having it go to waste.

factory thermal paste is good enough. dont waste your time and artic paste on it. keep it for your aftermarket cooler.

may your framerates be high and your temperatures be low. #pcmr

Stock thermal paste is there for a reason, I bet you $100 you won't hit 70C at 23C ambient temperature underload no overclocks.

Arctic silver 5 is nowhere near as good as some of the newer pastes available, not to mention as5 is electrically conductive. Get tx-4, nt-h1 or one of the other dozen or two products that vastly outperform as5. Even cooler master's purple-tube stuff they package with their cpu coolers is better than as5.

That said if you have as5 laying around it's better than stock.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

i sure dont

i did with my sock cooler i didn't like my temps so i put on some cooler master paste got the same temps maybe like 2 degrees cooler. never did it again i have a 212 evo with artic 5 now so im good 

Arctic silver 5 is nowhere near as good as some of the newer pastes available, not to mention as5 is electrically conductive. Get tx-4, nt-h1 or one of the other dozen or two products that vastly outperform as5. Even cooler master's purple-tube stuff they package with their cpu coolers is better than as5.

That said if you have as5 laying around it's better than stock.

It's not 

"Not Electrically Conductive:

Arctic Silver 5 was formulated to conduct heat, not electricity.

(While much safer than electrically conductive silver and copper greases, Arctic Silver 5 should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. While it is not electrically conductive, the compound is very slightly capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridges two close-proximity electrical paths.)"

That said MX-4 is a good alternative or Gelid.

Honestly between the major players in thermal paste there is no more than 4-5C difference really in most cases.  just my opinion.

It's not 

"Not Electrically Conductive:

Arctic Silver 5 was formulated to conduct heat, not electricity.

(While much safer than electrically conductive silver and copper greases, Arctic Silver 5 should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. While it is not electrically conductive, the compound is very slightly capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridges two close-proximity electrical paths.)"

That said MX-4 is a good alternative or Gelid.

Honestly between the major players in thermal paste there is no more than 4-5C difference really in most cases.  just my opinion.

On a really hot cpu it still holds its own I suppose. The risk of getting it on electrical traces, pins leads etc is real though, enough that its not worth recommending.

http://www.maximumpc.com/geek-tested-17-thermal-pastes-face-off/?page=0,1#page-2

gallery_62868_1880_20354.png

With GPU's the difference is even more notable and a good indicator. Given the risk I wouldn't put AS5 on a bare gpu anyway but the results are interesting.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/thermal-interface-roundup-1_12.html#sect0

134_diagr_gpu-xbt.png

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

On a really hot cpu it still holds its own I suppose. The risk of getting it on electrical traces, pins leads etc is real though, enough that its not worth recommending.

http://www.maximumpc.com/geek-tested-17-thermal-pastes-face-off/?page=0,1#page-2

gallery_62868_1880_20354.png

With GPU's the difference is even more notable and a good indicator. Given the risk I wouldn't put AS5 on a bare gpu anyway but the results are interesting.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/thermal-interface-roundup-1_12.html#sect0

134_diagr_gpu-xbt.png

Agreed not for GPU's, but for CPU's it's fine, the biggest issue I have is the 200 hour cure time of AS5, which really isn't a big deal for the average gamer, if your competing in OC contests and such yeah that sucks but most people will just go about using the PC anyways.