No open with option on WIndows 7?

Potato

First of all. I want to start saying that I am a Potato and I'm not if this is the right forum for this. It might be the troubleshooting one. But I doubt.

Let's get to the point. Right click = No "open with" option. Yes I tried Shift + Right click. I also googled... And got registry modifications. This is where my Potato needs a Toaster for extra power! I really don't wanna mess anything up. And I know that's easy with editing the Registry.

TL;DR: No open with option. I'm a potato. Explain to me like I'm five.

First of all. I want to start saying that I am a Potato and I'm not if this is the right forum for this. It might be the troubleshooting one. But I doubt.

Let's get to the point. Right click = No "open with" option. Yes I tried Shift + Right click. I also googled... And got registry modifications. This is where my Potato needs a Toaster for extra power! I really don't wanna mess anything up. And I know that's easy with editing the Registry.

TL;DR: No open with option. I'm a potato.

Is this a fresh install of windows ? Do you even have any other applications to open said file ?

EDIT: Also what file are you trying this on ?

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

Is this a fresh install of windows ? Do you even have any other applications to open said file ?

EDIT: Also what file are you trying this on ?

I'm a bit confused what you mean about applications to open the file. (Sorry, English isn't my first language.) But if you mean if I use any other tool. Then no. I tried on a bunch of different files. Non of them have the option.

I havent a clue as to a solution but insofar as a temporary fix is concerned you can sort of control which program opens the file by changing the file extention, ei changing .txt to .doc for a text file will make microsoft word (or open office or wtv) open the file instead of notepad.

I'm a bit confused what you mean about applications to open the file. (Sorry, English isn't my first language.) But if you mean if I use any other tool. Then no. I tried on a bunch of different files. Non of them have the option.

I meant if you had something like VLC media player to open a .mp4 where as WMP couldn't, but I will try to do some reading on it, 

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

Sigh, If windows does not recognise a file type, the open with option doesn't appear, instead the open function acts like the open with function.

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

You're not trying to open a shortcut are you?

4930k @ 4.5GHz - EVGA 780ti Superclocked ACX - ASUS x79 Deluxe - 32GB Tactical Tracer @ 2133

As lutzee said, if you don't have an application installed that can be used to open the file type then no open with will appear. Try double clicking on the file and if a window appears saying you don't have a program that can open this file type then that is your problem. That can be fixed by going online and finding a program that you can use with the file type.

Do you have multiple other programs which can read the file you are trying to open ??