A very significant piece of Digital Photography history, for anyone who is interested.

In 1975, this Kodak employee invented the digital camera. His bosses made him hide it.

http://www.brw.com.au/p/tech-gadgets/made_this_kodak_employee_invented_QnYp4iCrFXYwagdCRzszeP

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

they also made a lot of films and paper that people in this business are going to miss really bad.

they probably never made the big step into serious business like camera bodies, lenses and all the cool and pricy accessories; this was a big problem for them in the digital era, they had a lot of know-how but no real plan .

they also made a lot of films and paper that people in this business are going to miss really bad.

they probably never made the big step into serious business like camera bodies, lenses and all the cool and pricy accessories; this was a big problem for them in the digital era, they had a lot of know-how but no real plan .

You'll notice this type of attitude in many corporations.  Especially when it comes to technology that can only be marketable after a decade+ of research and development.

When I started with digital photography and bought my first DSLR in 2009, I heard a story (I'm not even sure it's true because I can't the source anymore) about how Nikon had once had a chance to be the owners/developers of Photoshop.  I guess it was a good thing they lost this chance, who knows how Photoshop may have turned out under Nikon instead of Adobe.

I love my Nikon gear but I am not a fan of their software.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

A very significant piece of Digital Photography history, for anyone who is interested.

In 1975, this Kodak employee invented the digital camera. His bosses made him hide it.

http://www.brw.com.au/p/tech-gadgets/made_this_kodak_employee_invented_QnYp4iCrFXYwagdCRzszeP

Very cool, I had no idea, thanks for posting a interesting read!

Very cool, I had no idea, thanks for posting a interesting read!

It's not new news, just saw this new article and decided to post it here.  You're welcome.

Damn, that thing recorded to tape? :huh: I wonder if he took any pictures with tape.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

Damn, that thing recorded to tape? :huh: I wonder if he took any pictures with tape.

Of course, how else did he test it :P

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

You do realize that all digital data is just 0s and 1s, so whether it's magnetic tape or SSDs they can save images and videos.

Of course, how else did he test it :P

I honestly don't know. I'm trying to remember what other media formats were available in the 70's. Drawing blanks here. lol I am curious as to what's on that tape though.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

I honestly don't know. I'm trying to remember what other media formats were available in the 70's. Drawing blanks here. lol I am curious as to what's on that tape though.

Magnetic storage media from the 1970s were about the same diameter of LP/Vinyl records, an inch or two thick and had a capacity for about 200MB of data.  Imagine how many of them would be needed to service the storage requirements of a modern DSLR.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9_track_tape

Before that were huge magnetic drum storage devices that were metal cylinders.  And even weirder stuff before that, here's a link to a history of data storage media.  http://royal.pingdom.com/2008/04/08/the-history-of-computer-data-storage-in-pictures/

http://royal.pingdom.com/2008/04/08/the-history-of-computer-data-storage-in-pictures/

A 5MB HDD from the 1950s

2398292066_5bdce51007_o.jpg

The first hard drive to have more than 1 GB in capacity was the IBM 3380 in 1980 (it could store 2.52 GB). It was the size of a refrigerator, weighed 550 pounds (250 kg), and the price when it was introduced ranged from $81,000 to $142,400.  (cost per gigabyte = about $32,400)

2398291986_8ac48b17f4_o.jpg

I recently bought a photographic print exposured on Kodak Endura Metallic Paper so they aren't dead.