opinion/advice needed for first build

pcnewb

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/wv3G4D

this is meant to be my main pc for the next few years 

used for :

gaming (mobas, witcher 3, fallout 4, etc)

school stuff

image editing

note: i have a 1080p monitor, but would like a higher res in the future

opinions/advice are welcome as this is my first build.

thanks

I'd get an ssd and a different psu, otherwise everything is good.

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

I'd get a Seasonic psu of some sorts (XFX psu like me heh), people here seem to hate the CX and I'll blindly back them up on that claim without actually figuring out why.  

And do you really need 3 TB?  I made the mistake of wasting money on storage I don't need (It may only be a 500GB drive but hey I uninstall stuff I'm not using).

"You should look up common sense and add it to your vocabulary." - dougdangger 2015

I'd get a Seasonic psu of some sorts (XFX psu like me heh), people here seem to hate the CX and I'll blindly back them up on that claim without actually figuring out why.  

And do you really need 3 TB?  I made the mistake of wasting money on storage I don't need (It may only be a 500GB drive but hey I uninstall stuff I'm not using).

The CX series doesn't take well to hot environments and is known to fail catastrophically.

The CX series doesn't take well to hot environments and is known to fail catastrophically.

So yes what he said.  Seasonic PSU's seem to be all the hype these days and everyone is rebadging them.  They shouldn't be hard to find and they're my personal suggestion.

It's what the cool kids do

"You should look up common sense and add it to your vocabulary." - dougdangger 2015

i was considering the 980ti, but it just seems a little too expensive (also not a lot of stock lately).

another path i considered was to buy a lower gpu like 970 or r9 290x to use with my 1080p monitor and wait for better gpu to come out or prices to drop

i dont really know anything on hdd and psu beside the very basic.

Are you going to overclock? Your build if missing a third party cooler if you are, or if you're not get a non k CPU and a H97.
Do you really need 16GB? if you go with 8GB you can save money and put that towards an SSD.
Spend more on a PSU to get a EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/wv3G4D

this is meant to be my main pc for the next few years 

used for :

gaming (mobas, witcher 3, fallout 4, etc)

school stuff

image editing

note: i have a 1080p monitor, but would like a higher res in the future

opinions/advice are welcome as this is my first build.

thanks

the gtx 980 makes no sense if you can go for the 980ti/fury x and if you don't have the cash the fury vanilla is 100 $ cheaper and has the same performance~ as the fury x

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

i was considering the 980ti, but it just seems a little too expensive (also not a lot of stock lately).

another path i considered was to buy a lower gpu like 970 or r9 290x to use with my 1080p monitor and wait for better gpu to come out or prices to drop

the fury (vanilla) is 100 $ cheaper would that fit ?

also if you could say your budget~

You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

Are you going to overclock? Your build if missing a third party cooler if you are, or if you're not get a non k CPU and a H97.

Do you really need 16GB? if you go with 8GB you can save money and put that towards an SSD.

Spend more on a PSU to get a EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W

im not planning to oc right away, but when it starts getting slow (i want the option open)

yeah i was also not sure about 16gb should i go with 2x4 or 1x8 (with possibility of adding another 8gb later)

im not planning to oc right away, but when it starts getting slow (i want the option open)

yeah i was also not sure about 16gb should i go with 2x4 or 1x8 (with possibility of adding another 8gb later)

2x4 is better in VERY specific tasks (i would go for it for dual channel) 

the fury (vanilla) is 100 $ cheaper would that fit ?

also if you could say your budget~

my budget is around 1500-1600 

my budget is around 1500-1600 

then I would go for the 390x its cheaper than the 980 and better in most stuff also has more vram so i would go with that.

i would go for a 700/750 watt PSU more if you want to crossfire later

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($290.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($178.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($59.99 @ NCIX)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($87.49 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Toshiba  2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($99.50 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 390X 8GB SOC Video Card  ($539.00 @ DirectCanada)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.99 @ NCIX)
Other: S340 red black (matte finish) ($83.00)
Total: $1418.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-17 16:35 EDT-0400

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($290.99 @ Newegg Canada)

Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($178.98 @ Newegg Canada)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($59.99 @ NCIX)

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($87.49 @ DirectCanada)

Storage: Toshiba  2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($99.50 @ Vuugo)

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 390X 8GB SOC Video Card  ($539.00 @ DirectCanada)

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.99 @ NCIX)

Other: S340 red black (matte finish) ($83.00)

Total: $1418.94

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-17 16:35 EDT-0400

How much of a difference between the 290x and 390x beside the memory?

Also, when i upgrade in the future is going for a second gpu in SLI/Crossfire or buying a better single gpu better in terms of performance and money?

This would be waaay better. The LED fans are meant to replace the black and white fans on the CPU heatsink.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KbcLTW

1659.51 US Dollar equals
2172.13 Canadian Dollar 
Conversion rate sucks atm and parts cost more in Canada cause sweg

Also, when i upgrade in the future is going for a second gpu in SLI/Crossfire or buying a better single gpu better in terms of performance and money?

well if you for instance own a r9 390x and have extra wattage i think its better to buy another r9 390x, what the heck i even would get a new psu and new gpu before going to a new gpu and with a new psu and r9 290 (i right now have a r9 290) would cost me 500 euro's buying a 980 ti which is simeliar performance as 2 r9 290 (little less 2 r9 290x would perform as a r9 295 x2 and that performs the same as a 980 ti well close ) would cost me 750 euro's ! thats like 250 euro's more so i would ive you already own one card go for a second card before upgrading to a higher single card.

Ok I made 2 new list's. One is X99 but it's more expensive and going to probably last you a little longer but you only get 8gb of ram so you may need to add more later if you're not satisfied and a 120GB SSD instead of 250GB. The other is Z97 and overall more balanced. I recommend getting the 390x as it is only behind the 980 by a very tiny and unnoticeable amount for a lot cheaper. I'll add a 390X vs 980 video down below. The Seagate drive's are not that great and have a higher fail rate which is why they are so cheap. I would say go for Z97.

Z97=  http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/RLNwQ7

X99=  http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/JDsQbv

Video= https://youtu.be/AHrneR162uA