In Need Of A New GPU, Need Sugestions

TheHelix

So here's my situation: My pc is somewhat old, still running with a GTX 275 which is terrible considering that it does not support DX11 and most recent games require it to be able to run. I've been looking for a new GPU for a few days now and I'm constantly switching opinion, so far I've been interested in MSI's GTX 960 Gaming 4Gb model, but today I came across the R9 380 which seems to be pretty good aswell, and I just can't decide. I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion to help me out, I'd appreciate it. (also feel free to suggest new ones, as long as they're not too expensive, like 980's and such, because I'm under a tight 300 euro budget)

Thanks.

What is the rest of your system? If you're on a GTX 275 it might be worth just going for a full system upgrade at this point

So here's my situation: My pc is somewhat old, still running with a GTX 275 which is terrible considering that it does not support DX11 and most recent games require it to be able to run. I've been looking for a new GPU for a few days now and I'm constantly switching opinion, so far I've been interested in MSI's GTX 960 Gaming 4Gb model, but today I came across the R9 380 which seems to be pretty good aswell, and I just can't decide. I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion to help me out, I'd appreciate it. (also feel free to suggest new ones, as long as they're not too expensive, like 980's and such, because I'm under a tight 300 euro budget)

Thanks.

msi gaming r9 380 4gb version

<p>Wish I could have this already!! : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qTLRjX

The R9 380 IS faster than a gtx 960, but with slightly higher power usage. It does not affect the yearly cost to run your pc much though.

The R9 380 IS faster than a gtx 960, but with slightly higher power usage. It does not affect the yearly cost to run your pc much though.

But is an issue if he has a lower wattage PSU! We need to know more about his current system.

What is the rest of your system? If you're on a GTX 275 it might be worth just going for a full system upgrade at this point

I have a i7 920 2.67Ghz (quad-core), 6GB's of ram (thinking of upgrading that), and a 550W powersupply (thinking of upgrading that aswell)

Thanks.

well NEVER go for the gtx 960 since the 380 is better and the gtx 960 has no benefits over the 380 (unless your DAT person that cares about his 2 dollars extra on the power bill), but whats your system like since if you have a shit cpu it doesn't matter which gpu you have

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

Or you could just do like I did and get a GTX 770 from EVGA's B-stock.  It's pretty head to head with a 960 from all I hear.

"You should look up common sense and add it to your vocabulary." - dougdangger 2015

if you have a shit cpu it doesn't matter which gpu you have

I have a i7 920 2.67Ghz (quad-core), it's not great but not that bad either.

best option is a r9 290, 2nd best in the r9 280x, 3rd best is r9 380 4gb

for the first two you need a good quality 550w power supply at least for stable powering

a gtx 970 maybe?

The website I normally order my stuff from only sells it for around 300+ euros which is more than the budget I'm going for.

The website I normally order my stuff from only sells it for around 300+ euros which is more than the budget I'm going for.

i dunno but the r9 290 is a great card

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

best option is a r9 290, 2nd best in the r9 280x, 3rd best is r9 380 4gb for the first two you need a good quality 550w power supply at least for stable powering

I haven't considered the 290 yet, I'll definatly check it out, thanks.

I found a MSI Radeon R9 280X Gaming 3GB GDDR5 (PCI-E) for 260€, is that a good deal?

I found a MSI Radeon R9 280X Gaming 3GB GDDR5 (PCI-E) for 260€, is that a good deal?

it depends if you can find a r9 290 with a good cooler under 300€ i would go for that, i dont know the prices in your country  :(

it depends if you can find a r9 290 with a good cooler under 300€ i would go for that, i dont know the prices in your country  :(

Well, there is a 290 just under 300€, like minus 1 euro. I am from Portugal but order my stuff from Spain because it's way cheaper (for example, my localshop is still selling a 750 ti for 300€, while on the site I normally order my stuff from it's like 136).