Water cooling Xeon E5-1607v3 - yay or nay?

Hi guys,

I'm not a hardcore gamer but definitely a blizzard fan boy (don't kill me). Games I play are D3, WoW (please let the next xpac be actually good), Heroes and HS. If not gaming then I'm surfing the web or watching Twitch/YouTube.

Specs on my PC are:

Xeon E5-1607v3 with heat sink only

EVGA GTX770 (2GB ram) - for gaming connected to my primary monitor

Quadro K620 - for surfing/watching movies on my secondaries

64GB DDR Ram

SSDs for OS, seperate one for games and a 1 TB HDD for storage.

Three monitors - 27" primary, 2x 22" secondaries

Basically I'm trying to figure out if I need to do water cooling for my CPU. Not custom, more like the pre-built ones from 3rd parties.

Idle, my temp is between 42-45

Gaming, it's at 60-64

As you can see, not a hardcore rig by any means and most of my parts were hand me downs or really good deals. I also won't be OCing anything. Everything will stay stock.

Currently my GPU produces the most heat (goes up to 75, sometimes 80 if I really push it and it gets hot in the case. I would LOVE to make the GPU cooler but am scared to change it to put a water cooling to it. Just wondering if water cooling the CPU will help reduce the heat inside the case.

Hi guys,

WC the CPU won't reduce the temps of your GPU, and being totally honest, it's a waste of money. AIOs are not inherently quiet and are only really necesary if you have no room for an air cooler or mostly, for agressive overclocking. I would sugest simply improving the airflow of your case and maybe getting a better heatsink for your xeon, Also, is the quadro and the 770 very close together? can you move them to another slot to increase distance? That might affect your GPU temps.

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB+WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified
  • Display(s)
    ASUS PB277Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Corsair H105 with AP121s and Phanteks fans
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
    E-3lue E-Blue Mazer II 2500 DPI Blue LED 2.4GHz Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

Forgot to say, your temps are fine, a bit hot on the GPU but TOTALLY within specs, and you have 2 GPUs, it runs hot, that's just how it is, but nothing will throtle, let alone be damaged by those temps, they are totaly fine.

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB+WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified
  • Display(s)
    ASUS PB277Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Corsair H105 with AP121s and Phanteks fans
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
    E-3lue E-Blue Mazer II 2500 DPI Blue LED 2.4GHz Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

a big nay. unless you just want a look, the edge water cooling should provide

will be a big disappointment. mid/high-ended air cooler for functionality and

you're golden.

Thanks guys for the replies:

I have the case as best neat and tidy as possible with cables tucked away so in front all it is are the components. the fans from the front get fresh air directly to the cpu, i think thats the best i can do for this small case.

for the gpus, they are as furthest as i could put them while being optimal. for gpu heat, i think thats it right? cant decrease it anymore? at idle its at 42-45, gaming is 75-80

so do I even need a fan then on my stock heat sink? or do I need to replace the stock for an aftermarket air one?

WC the CPU won't reduce the temps of your GPU, and being totally honest, it's a waste of money. AIOs are not inherently quiet and are only really necesary if you have no room for an air cooler or mostly, for agressive overclocking. I would sugest simply improving the airflow of your case and maybe getting a better heatsink for your xeon, Also, is the quadro and the 770 very close together? can you move them to another slot to increase distance? That might affect your GPU temps.

It could be a few degrees, but not worth it

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Thanks guys for the replies:

I have the case as best neat and tidy as possible with cables tucked away so in front all it is are the components. the fans from the front get fresh air directly to the cpu, i think thats the best i can do for this small case.

for the gpus, they are as furthest as i could put them while being optimal. for gpu heat, i think thats it right? cant decrease it anymore? at idle its at 42-45, gaming is 75-80

so do I even need a fan then on my stock heat sink? or do I need to replace the stock for an aftermarket air one?

Hmm, I would recommend a fan at least. Unless you have a case that has a fan blowing air through the heatsink using a air duct (Like in a server). But watercooling for the Xeon is overkill. These things don't use much power at all and stay fairly cool.

Unless you have a case that has a fan blowing air through the heatsink using a air duct (Like in a server). 

Ya, that's how it is currently. :)