No SIGNAL , new GPU

elPresidente

Hi , I recently bought an Asus GT640-2GD3 2048MB, but when I tried to get the system up and runing with the new GPU , it won't boot , the monitor says " No Signal " , the hard does not seem to have any activity , but all the fans seem to work , even the fan on the GPU.

My first tought was that the GPU is dead so I tested it out on another system and it worked just fine.

Then I tried booting the system up with a GTX 660 , but the results were the same . no signal.

My second tought was that the PSU was not strong enough so i added a 650W PSU to the system but nothing happened again . . .

What do you think the problem is and how can I fix it ?

System specs :

Motherboard : Biostar P4M900-M7 FE [ Bios : Phoenix vers 6.00 PG , date 02/24/2009 (this was the latest version available on the site) ]
CPU : DualCore Intel Pentium E2200, 2200 MHz
GPU (the one I currently have and is working perfectly) : NVIDIA 9400 GT
RAM : 2 x 2GB VRam DDR2-667 (333 MHz)

You may have to enable the external gpu in your bios settings.

When in doubt, re-format.

You may have to enable the external gpu in your bios settings.

My old card works just fine , shouldn't this one use the same settings ?

Have you chose the right input in display?

CPU: i7 4790k GPU: GTX 970 RAM: 2x8GB 1866 MHz Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit Pro

I think I did , I also tested it on two monitors , same thing , no signal, but when I used a different system with this GPU and this monitor it worked just fine as soon as i pluged it in.

try another port on the card, once in a while I have to start a card on an hdmi or vga connector then it's fine on the display port after that.

try another port on the card, once in a while I have to start a card on an hdmi or vga connector then it's fine on the display port after that.

It's not about the port , the PC won't even boot with the new card, the port has nothing to do with it

have you removed the video driver for the old card with a software that removes it in safe mode, like display driver uninstaller and installed the correct driver for the new gpu?

No I have not , but it has nothing to do with the video driver , it doesn't even get to the post screen.

I assume you've tried a different PCIE slot already? This honestly sounds like a problem you should be taking up with the manufacturer.

Custom Loop

4790K - Titan X - 16GB Vengeance 1866 - Asus Vii Hero - EVGA G2 850w - Samsung Evo 500gb - Corsair 760T - ROG SWIFT

I assume you've tried a different PCIE slot already? This honestly sounds like a problem you should be taking up with the manufacturer.

I only have 1 PCIE slot on this ancient motherboard , but I tested the GPU on another system and it worked fine , just like I mentioned earlier.

I don't think that this will matter in any way , but the system I tested it on and it worked had a PCIE 3.0 slot , whilst my system only has a PCIE 1.0 slot (even tho GPU-Z tells me it's a 1.1 slot) .

It's not about the port , the PC won't even boot with the new card, the port has nothing to do with it

Are you sure that your PSU can handle the card then?

Edit: Just read original post, Sorry

@Flashie

My second tought was that the PSU was not strong enough so i added a 650W PSU to the system but nothing happened again . . .

I think that answers your question.

@Flashie

I think that answers your question.

Yeah just edited it. Looking through other forums for assistance too

I only have 1 PCIE slot on this ancient motherboard , but I tested the GPU on another system and it worked fine , just like I mentioned earlier.

I don't think that this will matter in any way , but the system I tested it on and it worked had a PCIE 3.0 slot , whilst my system only has a PCIE 1.0 slot (even tho GPU-Z tells me it's a 1.1 slot) .

After doing a real tonne of research I've found a possibility as to why this could be happening. Some graphics cards aren't backwards compatible with 1.0 or 1.1 without a motherboard update. Some motherboards did not receive that update that makes it compatible while other companies rolled it out to all their motherboards. This could be the case, or could not - but that is unfortunately all i could find for you after some intense searching

@Flashie

Thanks for the effort , I will drive off next week to a friend who has an older PC with an ASUS motherboard, i know that motherboard was good at it's time so I'm curious what this GPU will do. If it will work on his system then I guess I need a new motherboard.

My current motherboard on this system is a piece of trash that I will gladly set ablaze as soon as my hunch is confirmed.

@Flashie

Thanks for the effort , I will drive off next week to a friend who has an older PC with an ASUS motherboard, i know that motherboard was good at it's time so I'm curious what this GPU will do. If it will work on his system then I guess I need a new motherboard.

My current motherboard on this system is a piece of trash that I will gladly set ablaze as soon as my hunch is confirmed.

Try a different cable/port.

CPU: Intel i7 4790K Cooler: CM Nepton 140XL Motherboard: Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z97 RAM: 8GB HyperX Fury Red 1866MHz
SSD:
OCZ Arc 100 240GB GPU: MSi R9 390 Gaming 8GB Case: NZXT H440 (Black/Red) PSU: EVGA GS 650W OS: Windows 10 Pro

Alvie

Try a different cable/port.

That was common sense , of course I did that first.

That was common sense , of course I did that first.

Is the motherboard PCI-e 1.0, it may be incompatible because of that. I don't think there is any workaround for that unfortunately.

Read this: http://www.overclock.net/a/the-final-answer-to-the-controversial-pcie-x16-version-compatibility

CPU: Intel i7 4790K Cooler: CM Nepton 140XL Motherboard: Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z97 RAM: 8GB HyperX Fury Red 1866MHz
SSD:
OCZ Arc 100 240GB GPU: MSi R9 390 Gaming 8GB Case: NZXT H440 (Black/Red) PSU: EVGA GS 650W OS: Windows 10 Pro

Alvie

@Alvie

I posted a link to the  manufacturer page of the GPU , the GPU is 2.0 but PCIE slots are backwards compatible , meaning that 3.0 will work on 2.0 and 1.0 and so on . . .

@Alvie

I posted a link to the  manufacturer page of the GPU , the GPU is 2.0 but PCIE slots are backwards compatible , meaning that 3.0 will work on 2.0 and 1.0 and so on . . .

Use onboard graphics while the new GPU is in, then download the drivers for the new GPU.

SSD:

Alvie