Skylake Underwhelming

Honestly I hear so much about these new skylake chips and I just don't get it. They are alright I guess but they get so much attention and it doesn't add up. I look at the benchmarks and they are barelyy better than than the old chips. They honestly are not even as good as X99. Why would anyone even buy one of these, just buy a 5820k.

you dont make sense, X99 cost shit ton more and there is a reason why its called X instead of Z

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

I'm hoping Kaby Lake will be better for Sandy/Haswell users.. only a year or so more to go! 

Yay..

My baby| CPU: Core i5-4690K  |  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  |  CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Plus |   Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | GPU: MSI R9 390  |  RAM: 16 GB - G.Skill Ripjaws X |

We brawlers are sustained by willpower, even if mocked as reckless and crazy! - Kamina

I'm hoping Kaby Lake will be better for Sandy/Haswell users.. only a year or so more to go! 

Yay..

I'm thinking (and hoping) by then zen will be out or really close to, hopefully forcing some actual innovation from intel. Also by then DDR4 should be on the same level or near DDR3 now, which will be when upgrading or building will be truly worth the investment.

you dont make sense, X99 cost shit ton more and there is a reason why its called X instead of Z

So based on that logic you would rather have a Titan Z than a titan X?

New CPU architecture isn't only about CPU performance. You can read about all the differences here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skylake_(microarchitecture)

Skylake processors are also going to be the first (ever) unlocked CPUs for mobile devices, which is pretty cool. There will also be more desktop CPUs based on the Skylake architecture to be announced at the end of the month, so hold tight, they're coming.

CPU - Intel i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 (Rev 2.0) | RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB (2x8) DDR3-1866 | Storage - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD | Graphics Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 980ti SC | Case - Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Black) | PSU - EVGA 750W B2 | Display - Acer K272HUL | Keyboard - E-Element RGB | Mouse - Logitech g502 | Sound - Klipsch ProMedia 2.1/Fostex TH-x00/Sennheiser HD595

Well i have seen some area´s in which the 6700K was exaly more expensive then the 5820k

Which is realy silly.

Also the Z170 boards are realy overprised imo, so if view it pure from a pricing standpoint,

topicstarter does have a good point.

However for pure gaming, the skylake 6700k will ofc perform better out of the box.

Because of higher clockspeed, and it uses less power, and producing less heat.

Honestly I hear so much about these new skylake chips and I just don't get it. They are alright I guess but they get so much attention and it doesn't add up. I look at the benchmarks and they are barelyy better than than the old chips. They honestly are not even as good as X99. Why would anyone even buy one of these, just buy a 5820k.

Why would they be as good as X99? X99 is a completely different enthusiast platform.

So based on that logic you would rather have a Titan Z than a titan X?

your point is invalid, see intel's chipset naming scheme.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

The only realy interessting thing that comes with skylake,

are 4 extra pci-e 3.0 lanes dedicated to the chipset over dmi 3.0.

which will help improve connectivity arround the board.

And a few new instructions

Intel HD 520 and 530 graphics is also supposed to be quite a bit better than previous generation integrated graphics. That'll be good for laptop users who can't afford dedicated mobile graphics cards.

CPU - Intel i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 (Rev 2.0) | RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB (2x8) DDR3-1866 | Storage - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD | Graphics Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 980ti SC | Case - Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Black) | PSU - EVGA 750W B2 | Display - Acer K272HUL | Keyboard - E-Element RGB | Mouse - Logitech g502 | Sound - Klipsch ProMedia 2.1/Fostex TH-x00/Sennheiser HD595

Also the Z170 boards are realy overprised imo, so if view it pure from a pricing standpoint,

topicstarter does have a good point.

For pricing in the US, Z170 boards start around $50 less than X99 boards, and around $30 more than Z97 boards. IMO, that's not terrible, considering the difference in features between the chipsets.

Prices should go down I mean if you saw the 1st x99 prices they were insane. Like skylake I would wait a month or 2. The reason why Skylake isn't a huge improvement and why most intel z processors aren't a huge improvement over there previous generation is because AMD has nothing on them until ZEN arives. I mean there CPUs are dead.

Cpu's have been very powerful since Sandy Bridge. The 2500k is still a beast. And yeah, upgrading from something like that doesnt make much sense from a price to performance standpoint. But building new, Skylake makes more sense and is a very good CPU. Its more powerful than Haswell and it introduces new features to the mainstream. CPU's and GPU's are far ahead of the rest of the system. We need storage and memory to catch up to the power of CPUs and GPUs before we'll see big improvements in CPU's. The rest of the hardware just cant keep up. The Skylake haters make me laugh. Think about things logically before you start hating on something. If you have a 2500k or above then Skylake isnt for you. You're already set for CPU performance

PC Audio Setup = Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohm and Sennheiser pc37x (also for xbox) hooked up to Schiit Fulla 3

For pricing in the US, Z170 boards start around $50 less than X99 boards, and around $30 more than Z97 boards. IMO, that's not terrible, considering the difference in features between the chipsets.

well i live in Europe, and uphere the prices of DECENT Z170 boards,

are right on par with X99 boards.

remember that skylake does not have a FIVR anymore,

so for overclocking a board with a decent vreg design, is realy going to make sense again.

And yeah, boards with a decent vreg design, simply cost money.

In the uk there is a promotion where if you buy a gaming 7 you get a cooler for free. It was what made up my mind between an x99 or z170 build. So yeah skylake makes a lot of sense when building new. I mean, why wouldn't you? Upgrading is more meh... If you own a 4790 or even 4770 processor the performance gain is quite small for a 500 dollar/ 400 pounds investment. SandyBridge people, it is a 40% increase (or something along those lines) so it might be time. Then again, if gaming is your thing, you still have more than playable fps so why bother?

I like this release and it is refreshing to have a new manufactoring node. I suppose we might still see some extra improvement over the next couple of months as drivers improve and people can squeeze more performance out of the processor.

Main rig: Shockwave - MSI Z170 Gaming 7 MOBO, i7-6700k, 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz RAM, KFA2 GTX 980ti HOF, Corsair RM1000 PSU, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, WD 7200RPM 3TB, Corsair Air 540 White, ASUS P278Q 1440p 144Hz display.

Laptop: Lenovo Y510p, i7-4700HQ, 12 GB (8+4) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM, GT755 2GB SLI graphis card, 1366x768 display.

Not sure what country he is in but here in the UK a Core i7-5820K is £300 and a Core i7-6700K is £320 but give or take £140-150 for a decent Z170 or X99 board and both use DDR4, it isn't a shit tonne more and I would rather pay and have two extra cores.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Not sure what country he is in but here in the UK a Core i7-5820K is £300 and a Core i7-6700K is £320 but give or take £140-150 for a decent Z170 or X99 board and both use DDR4, it isn't a shit tonne more and I would rather pay and have two extra cores.

If you compare boards with similar build quality and features x99 is a shit ton more expansive in every Region. Compare asus rog vs asus rog for example.

Or MSI m7 vs x99 gaming7. Or asus sabertooth. Works with nearly every board. x99 is about 25% more expansive on boards average. Some even much more ...

And on top of that you could get z170 AS budget option using that ddr3 compatible asus p board. For 120euro.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

If you compare boards with similar build quality and features x99 is a shit ton more expansive in every Region. Compare asus rog vs asus rog for example.

X99 platform is feature rich anyway, the ROG is not needed. There are better value boards out there offering pretty much the same level of features, with ROG you're paying for the name just like the old Intel Extreme Edition CPU's like 3930K and 3960X, same damn chip yet twice the price and for what?

Intel Core i7-6700K = £335   http://www.scan.co.uk/products/intel-core-i7-6700k-s-1151-skylake-quad-core-40ghz-42ghz-turbo-8-gt-s-dmi-1150mhz-gpu-40x-ratio-91w-

Intel Core i7-5820K = £294   http://www.scan.co.uk/products/intel-core-i7-5820k-unlocked-lga-2011-3-haswell-e-6-core-28-lane-33ghz-base-36ghz-turbo-15mb-cache-c

Difference of £41

MSI Z170A-Gaming Pro = £128   http://www.scan.co.uk/products/gigabyte-ga-z170x-ud3-intel-z170-s-1151-ddr4-satae-sata3-6gb-s-pcie-30-sli-crossfire-dvi-hdmi-atx-mo

ASRock X99 Extreme3 = £154     http://www.scan.co.uk/products/asrock-x99-extreme3-intel-x99-s-2011-3-ddr4-sata-iii-6gb-s-sata-raid-pcie-30-%28x16%29-atx

Difference of £26

The ASRock may be lower down the model teir compared to the MSI but both boards are feature rich, You go for the X99 platform you save £15 and get more out of it. If it was my money I would be going X99 right now until Skylake comes down from that ridiculous price point.

Got a little surprised looking at that price because Skylake has actually increased in price, last week it was £320 and right now I don't think it makes much sense until it comes down in price. Just my opinion, take it with a pinch of salt if you like, that is just my view with the current prices.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

X99 platform is feature rich anyway, the ROG is not needed. There are better value boards out there offering pretty much the same level of features, with ROG you're paying for the name just like the old Intel Extreme Edition CPU's like 3930K and 3960X, same damn chip yet twice the price and for what?

Intel Core i7-6700K = £335 http://www.scan.co.uk/products/intel-core-i7-6700k-s-1151-skylake-quad-core-40ghz-42ghz-turbo-8-gt-s-dmi-1150mhz-gpu-40x-ratio-91w-

Intel Core i7-5820K = £294 http://www.scan.co.uk/products/intel-core-i7-5820k-unlocked-lga-2011-3-haswell-e-6-core-28-lane-33ghz-base-36ghz-turbo-15mb-cache-c

Difference of £41

MSI Z170A-Gaming Pro = £128 http://www.scan.co.uk/products/gigabyte-ga-z170x-ud3-intel-z170-s-1151-ddr4-satae-sata3-6gb-s-pcie-30-sli-crossfire-dvi-hdmi-atx-mo

ASRock X99 Extreme3 = £154 http://www.scan.co.uk/products/asrock-x99-extreme3-intel-x99-s-2011-3-ddr4-sata-iii-6gb-s-sata-raid-pcie-30-%28x16%29-atx

Difference of £26

The ASRock may be lower down the model teir compared to the MSI but both boards are feature rich, You go for the X99 platform you save £15 and get more out of it. If it was my money I would be going X99 right now until Skylake comes down from that ridiuculas price point.

Got a little surprised looking at that price because Skylake has actually increased in price, last week it was £320 and right now I don't think it makes much sense until it comes down in price. Just my opinion, take it with a pinch of salt if you like, that is just my view with the current prices.

Well yourself just compared a 20% price difference on boards.. And it isnt even a worthy comparison. Think about that.

Skylake CPUs are currently overprized alot because they are getting sold much to good this is a normal resellers reaction to try keeping it at stock and sell it for premium prices. Thats what you do when poeple are buying like crazy and you cant order more because Intel spreads it slow.

In germany its sold out everywhere

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

Well yourself just compared a 20% price difference on boards.. And it isnt even a worthy comparison. Think about that.

Skylake CPUs are currently overprized alot because they are getting sold much to good this is a normal resellers reaction to try keeping it at stock and sell it for premium prices. Thats what you do when poeple are buying like crazy and you cant order more because Intel spreads it slow.

I have thought about that, I've thought about it extensively in fact, to the point where I can taste it.

I'm not comparing one specific component to the other, I'm comparing the whole platform and the X99 is cheaper right now.

I have thought about that, I've thought about it extensively in fact, to the point where I can taste it.

I'm not comparing one specific component to the other, I'm comparing the whole platform and the X99 is cheaper right now.

So yea in your Region its currently worth it, if you choose bad Motherboards.

But this doesnt mean its the same everywhere.

So yea in your Region its currently worth it, if you choose bad Motherboards.

But this doesnt mean its the same everywhere.

I understand that and it isn't a bad motherboard, I used my region as a default because he didn't mention his region anywhere.