6700k for pcie lanes

Unless you're doing SLI/Crossfire then no.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Why does SLI/Crossfire change the equation?

If he's doing SLI he needs all 16 lanes, and then he couldn't use the SSD. Crossfire doesn't matter as it doesn't have a minimum amount of lanes.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

worth upgrading from 4790k for 20 lanes over 16 for say pci ssd support or no?

Nope, unless you want to do 2 way SLI and have some other card

My Rig:  CPU: Core i7 4790K @4.8ghz  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  Ram: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz (Red)  Cooling: Corsair H105, 2x Corsair SP120 High Preformance Editions, Corsair AF 140 Quiet Edition  PSU: Corsair RM 850  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB  Case Corsair 760t (Black)  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma  Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma  Headset: ATH-M50X Mic: Blue Yeti Blackout

If he's doing SLI he needs all 16 lanes, and then he couldn't use the SSD. Crossfire doesn't matter as it doesn't have a minimum amount of lanes.

It has a minimum of 4 lanes

My Rig:  CPU: Core i7 4790K @4.8ghz  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  Ram: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz (Red)  Cooling: Corsair H105, 2x Corsair SP120 High Preformance Editions, Corsair AF 140 Quiet Edition  PSU: Corsair RM 850  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB  Case Corsair 760t (Black)  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma  Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma  Headset: ATH-M50X Mic: Blue Yeti Blackout

Crossfire does, but that'll be fine for an SSD and 2 cards.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

worth upgrading from 4790k for 20 lanes over 16 for say pci ssd support or no?

And the 6700K has only 16 lanes

Crossfire does, but that'll be fine for an SSD and 2 cards.

But the 6700K has only 16 lanes

Wait, I thought it was an almost direct rebrand of the 4790K, so it'd only have 16 lanes

Edit: I went to ark.intel, turns out I am right!

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Why does SLI/Crossfire change the equation?

It doesnt because its only additional lanes through the chipset not the cpu

basically they added the ability to have a PCI-E 3.0 x4 M.2 SSD and not impact the layout your used to for additional devices and slots. Hopefully this makes sense? They also allowed the manufacturers far more control of what they use the chipset lanes for rather than dictating that certain things must be used. Likely unless your on the real highend boards itll be the same as normal except you can have a M.2 SSD as mentioned about without disabling stuff which is what happened on Z97 on many boards.

Yep, double checked. You're right. I remember watching a video that said it had 20, I think it was TekSyndicate

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Wait, I thought it was an almost direct rebrand of the 4790K, so it'd only have 16 lanes

It does have only 16 lanes

Nope, unless you want to do 2 way SLI and have some other card

you still have a 4x slot on most ATX z87 and Z97 boards...

yes but the additional lanes would be through the chipset. Also prior to X99 and Z170 the chipset was only PCI-E 2.0

ohh i just read something said 20 hate bs articles lol

yes the chipset has 20lanes with its new DMI link to the CPU.

Yep, double checked. You're right. I remember watching a video that said it had 20, I think it was TekSyndicate

Correct Z170 has 20 lanes this is through the DMI link to the CPU

yes the CPU itself has 16 direct lanes usually use for low latency stuff like GPU's

yeahh that was my mistake they said z170 boards can handle 20 lanes

they can as I have been trying to state.

And the 6700K has only 16 lanes

The chipset has lanes. The SSDs and peripheral crap runs off of the chipset's lanes while the CPU's lanes handle GPUs. It has 16 PCI-e 3.0 lanes. The chipset has more PCI-e 3.0 and 2.0 lanes IIRC.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

That's why I asked.

I mean you do get more lanes but not for GPU's. Its for the other new stuff that requires PCI-E like M.2, SATA-E, USB 3.1 controllers, thunderbolt, and maybe USB type-C.

While I'm here, might as well ask a question.

Can an Intel 750 be run on CPU lanes on the x99 platform? (Similarly, is it possible to run a 750 off of the x16 PCIE lane  on Skylake if I don't use a discrete GPU? Using CPU lanes instead of chipset lanes.)

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

The chipset has lanes. The SSDs and peripheral crap runs off of the chipset's lanes while the CPU's lanes handle GPUs. It has 16 PCI-e 3.0 lanes. The chipset has more PCI-e 3.0 and 2.0 lanes IIRC.

Wait, do ALL SSDs run off of the chipset's lanes? If you plug it into the PCI-E slot, doors it use CPU lanes?

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

They are 3.0 now due to DMI 3 which came on X99 and is now in Z170 and Skylake CPUs. Thing is whit chipset lanes you cant max all of them at once and there is not enough bandwidth in the DMI link. This as show with Haswell and greater than 3 drive RAID 0. That wont be and issue not but now there are M.2 PCI-E 3.0 x4 SSDs. More than one of those will probably cause bottlenecks potentially. but you can RAID them now so we'll see.

Edit: I went to ark.intel, turns out I am right!

Uhh no you are not right. 6700k is Skylake. It's not only a completely different micro-architecture to Haswell, but it's not even on the same manufacturing process. It's completely incorrect to call it a "rebrand" o.0