Yet another sound card question!

MayPool
Go to solution Solved by CoolBeans,

Yes, you will always  benefit from a dedicated sound card instead of the onboard audio

So my current audio setup is the onboard audio on my ASUS P8P67 Pro motherboard that I connect my stereo system (see photo below) to. Finally, I would plug my headphones into the stereo.

post-17936-0-87803700-1375666454_thumb.j

Yeah, I know. Pretty badass.

My question is: would I benefit from a dedicated sound card instead of the onboard audio?

Yes, you will always  benefit from a dedicated sound card instead of the onboard audio

Yes.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Get the best Asus one in your price range! You will not regret it. I have been meaning to get my own sound card, right now I am using a sound blaster usb one since it was lying around my house :D

Desk: monitors 3x Asus VE248h(eyefinity), Keyboard Cm Strom Trigger(mx red), Mouse Corsair m65, Headset Audio Technica ATH-M50

Black Friday 2013 Build: i7 4770k, Gigabyte Z87X UD5H, 16gb Corsair, Msi R9 290, Corsair Axi 760, Corsair 750D, 2x intel 530 240gb ssd, 2x Seagate 400gb

Older Machine amd x640, msi 760g mobo, 8gb gskillz, Sapphire 6870, Corsair hx650, Cooler master haf 922, ocz agility 3 120gb ssd || HTPC: i7 3770k, shuttle xpc z77, 16gb gskillz, Asus GTX 650 ti, intel 120gb msata ssd

Roger that! I'm thinking of buying the Asus Xonar DS or the Creative Sound Blaster Recon 3D PCIe. Would go for the Xonar D1 but they've stopped selling it here (Iceland). Which one would you recommend?

This is confusing. I've been told by someone on this forum that sounds cards just increase volume (amp). You're saying sound cards always have a benefit?

This is confusing. I've been told by someone on this forum that sounds cards just increase volume (amp). You're saying sound cards always have a benefit?

Yes

Roger that! I'm thinking of buying the Asus Xonar DS or the Creative Sound Blaster Recon 3D PCIe. Would go for the Xonar D1 but they've stopped selling it here (Iceland). Which one would you recommend?

The Sound Blaster Z is better than the Recon3D.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Spend the money on better headphones or speakers, the difference will be more noticeable. Skip a sound card and go with an external dac if you must upgrade your source

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

Well, there's the "of course it will", with no explanation "bandwagon" and there's the "Read the FAQ" with no explanation "bandwagon".

Believe whoever you like.  I had to learn the hard way, and so can you.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

What it all comes down to is this:  If you ran a business what vehicle would you need? a car, ute, truck, bus, or semi trailer?  Answer: it depends on your business, you wouldn't buy a semi trailer if your business is delivering small packages in the city. You'd buy a van or ute.  It is exactly the same with PC sound, there is no point in buying a sound card if you are tone deaf and only use a $4 set of pc speakers. On the other hand if had a rather decent pair of headphones or a modest speaker setup, then you would benefit from a better decoder/dac.  Depending on your headphones you might even benefit from an amp. 

For my setup (basic headphones and custom listening room) an external USB sound device and amp is the best solution, a $200+ soundcard will give me no extra benefits. but the on board audio suffers too much interference.  

My 2c anyway.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

a better decoder/dac.  Depending on your headphones you might even benefit from an amp.

Well, the problem with that is 90% of DACs, even the crummiest of the crummy, made in the last 5 years are above the level of audible transparency.

Now the amps, I'll buy that notion.  Especially if you have low impedance headphones, and most of us do, you're getting inundated with products that were made for yesterday's headphones.

Either way, your right, monetarily speaking it makes little sense to buy these very expensive soundcards if you don't already have a stable of headphones that really need that amount of power.  Most of which aren't even made anymore.

ute.

I still remember Lenny Loosejocks: "Aw shucks! the ute's buggered!".  Now THAT was an OLD flash game.  wait, what were we talking about again?

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."