Gladius or Hornet?

Zeke

I mean, I'll get an M50 later on as well, if it really has got the, you know, but I've decided my first ship is gonna be one of those two.

No hurry.

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

I mean, I'll get an M50 later on as well, if it really has got the, you know, but I've decided my first ship is gonna be one of those two.

No hurry.

what kind of flying are you hoping to do? because the gladius doesnt have as heavy an armament but its fast and manoeuvrable where as the hornet is basically the opposite end of the spectrum

what kind of flying are you hoping to do? because the gladius doesnt have as heavy an armament but its fast and manoeuvrable where as the hornet is basically the opposite end of the spectrum

I got an impression they were both... well basically fighter jets in space: little crew, no cargo, decent armament.

Just tell me what you would've (or already have) picked and why, and we'll go from there :3

Personally I only have a Super Hornet, and havent been in the Gladius. The hornet's not a bad choice is all I can say. 

Is the Super Hornet no longer availiable for purchase? 

I got it as a part of the anniversary sale. It's currently not available in the pledge store. Although I think they would open it up again during another occasion. 

Me: Computer Engineer. Geek. Nerd.

[Educational] Computer Architecture: Computer Memory Hierarchy

[Educational] Computer Architecture:  What is SSE/AVX? (SIMD)

I got an impression they were both... well basically fighter jets in space: little crew, no cargo, decent armament.

Just tell me what you would've (or already have) picked and why, and we'll go from there :3

the gladius has good guns, decent shields and is very fast and agile. it doesnt present the enemy with a lot of opportunities to broadside you. I like it better, i have an avenger and its almost the same thing just older. I find the hornet while having lots of heavy weaponry and pretty tanky is the easiest ship to hit by far, and is clunky as hell. the only one id even consider flying regularly myself is the super hornet

it comes and goes quite a bit in limited quantities

it comes and goes quite a bit in limited quantities

I got it as a part of the anniversary sale. It's currently not available in the pledge store. Although I think they would open it up again during another occasion. 

Okay, thanks, I'll look forward to it.

the gladius has good guns, decent shields and is very fast and agile. it doesnt present the enemy with a lot of opportunities to broadside you. I like it better, i have an avenger and its almost the same thing just older. I find the hornet while having lots of heavy weaponry and pretty tanky is the easiest ship to hit by far, and is clunky as hell. the only one id even consider flying regularly myself is the super hornet

Hm, I dunno. I don't exactly want a glass cannon ship (at least not as my first one). Is there a possibility that Gladius will be not as good support ship if I ever wanna fly with my trading/exploring friends? It's classified as "short-range fighter" in the catalogue...

If we're talking Gladius vs standard hornet, then for me the gladius wins hands down, standard hornet feels kind of lacking. If we're talking super hornet - now that's a different story entirely. Almost sounds like you want a vanguard by the way you're talking :P

If we're talking Gladius vs standard hornet, then for me the gladius wins hands down, standard hornet feels kind of lacking. If we're talking super hornet - now that's a different story entirely.

Sure, if Super Hornet becomes availiable for purchase again, I'll probably go for it.

Get the Horny, I hate flying against the Gladius.

225px-Fry_meme.png

225px-Fry_meme.png

just get a gladius man. its a good ship

225px-Fry_meme.png

+1 on the Gladius. If you end up not liking it you'll still be able to melt it down or perform a cross chassis upgrade.

The base Hornet is pretty capable but since there are no s4 guns/gimbals in the game right now it's held back. Also note that the Hornet can be equipped with a little storage box whereas the Gladius has no option for cargo. And don't put too much weight on the description. Even if they're short range they'll probably be able to cross 2-3 systems without refueling.

Did you know this forum has an unofficial/official Star Citizen group? Head over to our organization's page, numerous forum threads or our LTTC Discord Server to find out more.

As a previous owner of the Gladius, it is highly recommended for dog fighting. Great maneuverability, packs a hell of a punch, and a very small profile.

But if you're looking for an all around the verse ship, I do have a suggestion... ;)

+1 on the Gladius. If you end up not liking it you'll still be able to melt it down or perform a cross chassis upgrade.

The base Hornet is pretty capable but since there are no s4 guns/gimbals in the game right now it's held back. Also note that the Hornet can be equipped with a little storage box whereas the Gladius has no option for cargo. And don't put too much weight on the description. Even if they're short range they'll probably be able to cross 2-3 systems without refueling.

Just to add that, if exploring or trading is your thing, there is nothing stopping you from picking up a few jobs when the games release and getting a ship to lug cargo around or whatever.

just get a gladius man. its a good ship

Okay, thanks, I'm almost sold now.

As a previous owner of the Gladius, it is highly recommended for dog fighting. Great maneuverability, packs a hell of a punch, and a very small profile.

But if you're looking for an all around the verse ship, I do have a suggestion... ;)

The "previous" part kinda concerns me, but what suggestion do you have?

Just to add that, if exploring or trading is your thing, there is nothing stopping you from picking up a few jobs when the games release and getting a ship to lug cargo around or whatever.

Trading and exploring doesn't really work for me. It's just a little added bonus of extra range is nice.

Okay, thanks, I'm almost sold now.

The "previous" part kinda concerns me, but what suggestion do you have?

Trading and exploring doesn't really work for me. It's just a little added bonus of extra range is nice.

@CommanderFett has a fetish for Cutlass's

And yeah you don't need another ship but the way I see it is the people that start with the military ships will have a foot in the door to people that don't when the PU starts.

Personally I would want a Hornet due to the added protection but I can shred them to pieces with my Mustang (but they keep flying) but they are preferred by the skilled gamers, A Gladius is hard to hit, I'm yet to kill one but pose little threat to me in my mustang, usually I ignore them.

@CommanderFett has a fetish for Cutlass's

And yeah you don't need another ship but the way I see it is the people that start with the military ships will have a foot in the door to people that don't when the PU starts.

Personally I would want a Hornet due to the added protection but I can shred them to pieces with my Mustang (but they keep flying) but they are preferred by the skilled gamers, A Gladius is hard to hit, I'm yet to kill one but pose little threat to me in my mustang, usually I ignore them.

Cutlass seems like more of a hassle to me.

Cutlass seems like more of a hassle to me.

It sure does make for a good dart board though

https://youtu.be/RW_hGOFukMQ

(The cutlass is the death star)

Trying to make me feel bad for having one...

I'm thinking of kitting my cutlass with s3 panthers and having everything gimbal locked. How horrible is that idea you think? Yes, I know this sounds masochistic.

Still new, but learning

i7 4790K / GTX 970 G1 Gaming / Maximus VII Hero / Swiftech H240x / Corsair Vengeance Pro 16gb, 1600mhz, cl9 / 850 evo 250GB /

WD Blue 1TB / HX850 / Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Trying to make me feel bad for having one...

if i can't kill it you should feel bad