GTX 970 or R9 390?

I'm building a new gaming rig and I am wondering whether I should get the R9 390 or GTX 970. They are about the same price and I am planning to do 1080p gaming at max settings with the best framerates that I can get.

CPU: i5 4690 GPU: Powercolor R9 390 RAM: 2X4GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill Ripjaws X Case: NZXT S340 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H CPU Cooler: Some cooler I took off of an old Socket 775 Mobo

970 for drivers I guess

Finally got PS4 Pro

R9 390 for the VRAM

It is important for future wise perspective

MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 w/Core i5 3210M and glorious HD 4000 Graphics

R9 390 for the VRAM

It is important for future wise perspective

Those 8gigs are kinda overkill though :P

390 is a stronger card, i went with the 970 though beacuse of the drivers and nvidia features :)

970 for drivers I guess

390 is a stronger card, i went with the 970 though beacuse of the drivers and nvidia features :)

i dont see anything wrong with AMD's drivers?

I actually see more problems with nvidia drivers on win 10 then AMD?

I'm building a new gaming rig and I am wondering whether I should get the R9 390 or GTX 970. They are about the same price and I am planning to do 1080p gaming at max settings with the best framerates that I can get.

There are so many threads about this. Can you just use the search bar instead of making a shitpost?

Ive personally had ALOT of issues with AMD drivers in the past :P

970 for drivers I guess

Whats wrong with AMD drivers? Or is there something Nvidia drivers do better?

Whats wrong with AMD drivers? Or is there something Nvidia drivers do better?

Personally I have more driver crashes with NVidia than on AMD. But didn't some games had lower performance issues with AMD cards vs NVidia cards due to driver optimizations (talking about GameWorks games), or all those issues have been fixed and I am not aware of it.

I was facing issues (green color spread all over) with AMD drivers for some older games (only tried latest driver release), San Andreas, Vice City. But didn't face any issues with NVidia cards.

EDIT: I would have got 390 for myself, if it was released little earlier (2 weeks), cost difference wasn't high (~125$), and 2 games weren't free with 970.

I wish AMD to do well, just so that we can have good options, and intel/NVidia can do better in newer generations instead of just going for ~10% performance improvement at lower power consumption.

Finally got PS4 Pro

I went with 970 because it does well with less of a processor. My aging 2600K no OC likes nvidia better. Or i should say it puts less load on a processor, from my perspective and research. Also better with Linux. 

*POCKET SAND!*

INB4 nvidia nerfs 900 series when pascal comes out like they did to the 700 series when maxwell came out

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

INB4 nvidia nerfs 900 series when pascal comes out like they did to the 700 series when maxwell came out

what? :P could you please be a little more clear in your sentence? i have no idea what you just wrote :P

what? :P could you please be a little more clear in your sentence? i have no idea what you just wrote :P

Driver unpdates at one point (not sure if they still do) made the 780 ti be slower than a 960 

TLDR: nvidia hit 700 series cards with a nerf bat using drivers to boost 900 series cards sales

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

Driver unpdates at one point (not sure if they still do) made the 780 ti be slower than a 960 

TLDR: nvidia hit 700 series cards with a nerf bat using drivers to boost 900 series cards sales

nah. the 780 Ti is still in the 970 level judging from recent benches

oh :P didnt know that

Both are good.

I would go for the 390; slightly faster.

I also have had a great experience with 290 vapor-x. Silky smooth high quality gaming, cool/quiet, good drivers.

Nvidia doesn't nerf old cards. They just stop doing the game specific driver optimizations. That's why for example the 780 still performs well in older games but in most newer games loses to the AMD alternatives.

Nvidia doesn't nerf old cards. They just stop doing the game specific driver optimizations. That's why for example the 780 still performs well in older games but in most newer games loses to the AMD alternatives.

And that's really shitty of them. you could buy a top of the line card and then 6 months later having it run like complete shit on a new game forcing you to upgrade. AMD actually supports their cards via drivers.