full power vs fan curve

fan curve is for ppl who hate noise, fullpower is for ppl who dont care about a lil fan sound and want maximum performance

(◑‿◐)

Which one is better?

Well one of them, your fans are on full blast all the time. Being really loud and shortening their lifespan.

While the other, your fans are only as fast as they need to be. Being quieter and keeping a longer lifespan.

Fan curve all the way. Since you can have it ramp up to maximum once the temps get high enough, essentially making it a full power fan without the constant noise of a fan on full power.

"LTT's official.."STOP. I promise you aren't LTT's official bagel eater or whatever. Trust me. 

If you want lower temperature but louder noise then you can just put them in full power.

But if you want more control then use the fan curve.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

Fan curve every time. If you PC isn't heating up you don't need your fans running at 100%. If you're smart about setting up the fan curve, it'll ramp up the moment your computer starts pushing it.

fan curve is better?

If you want more control then it's better.

I mean when the temperature is high = fan spins faster.

Temperature is low = fan spins slower.

So you're not bothered a lot with the noise.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

fan curve is better?

In my opinion, yes. It all comes down to how you set it up. I run mine with the fans at about 4-500rpm, till the components get above 35 degrees, then they start ramping up a little at a time. And I have individual components providing the temp data. If I'm running my ssd flat out, the fan in front of the hard drive cages speeds up, if my cpu is under load, the fans on my rad spin a little quicker, etc.

It's all about dem curves baby.. Dem curves..

But seriously it's the way to go. Very quiet operation and full performance when you need it, no need to compromise! Also sometimes i find default fan curves on video cards to be utter rubbish. My 980 will thermal throttle at 80c if i leave default fan profile on (i know the question was full power vs curve, but i think a lot of people use stock profiles for gpu)

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

how do i make a good fan cuve that will give me same performane as full power

I think it depends on the build, if you got 10 fans you're probably better off using low noise adaptors and letting them run at constant low RPMs, i kinda like having fan curves myself, the more control i have over my system the better, but i get why in some cases the easiest way is using LNAs and connecting them to the PSU. Never full RPM tho, that's crazy.

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB+WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified
  • Display(s)
    ASUS PB277Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Corsair H105 with AP121s and Phanteks fans
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
    E-3lue E-Blue Mazer II 2500 DPI Blue LED 2.4GHz Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

how do i make a good fan cuve that will give me same performane as full power

Set the fans to ramp up when you get to temps that you're not comfortable with. Simple as that.

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

Set the fans to ramp up when you get to temps that you're not comfortable with. Simple as that.

And watch your delays...Those are very important. set it up for half a second delay on increasing temp/rpm, but 5 or so seconds on decreasing temp/rpm. Your fans make more noise when speeding up, and slowing down than at constant rpm. and the fact that it's really annoying if the reporting software hitches for a second, and your fans can't decide which part of the fan curve they're on.

Can i get i higher overclock on full power?

Not really. when you overclock, your components heat up naturally, as a result of you shoving more power through them. your fan curve would already be set up with that in mind. If i was running an aggressive overclock, I would have a different fan curve than my normal one however, I'd set the curve to ramp up 5-10 degrees lower.

Wow, I always thought full power is best for overclocking!

Full power means higher noise and slightly cooler components at idle, your fans only need to ramp up when your PC is actuallt under stress

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

icy cold is better for overclocking, but your ambient temp is probably going to be about 20 degrees+, so the gains are almost nonexistent. unless you're sitting in a dehumidified freezer it won't make any difference when you're at the top of your overclock under load. Your fans will be going full speed by then anyway as they register the temperature gain with the load on the components.

I will say that the last time I did any serious overclocking, and benchmarking I switched my fan curves over to max. I knew I was going to be pushing it anyway, so it was easier tow manually switch while I was playing around anyway. My stress testing sat around low to mid 70s degrees, flatout at 4.7Ghz. When I broke up my cores for single thread it was about mid 50's and 5.3G hz for 3 cores. (the others weren't stable that high)