Help choosing a new z170 motherboard

Go to solution Solved by NumLock21,

Go for the most expensive. Why? It's a gift. :P

Seriously, between the 3, Krait is out unless you want to run a single gpu. with 2 gpus, it will block off the SATA ports. The Hero has red accents, so it might not fit your color theme, the logo I believe is RGB, unless you want to go with a triple color theme build of red/black/white. Deluxe is probably the one that fits your color them the most of black/white, it also has more features out of the 2 boards like dual gigabit lan, 3x3 wifi/bt, up to total of 10 fan connectors (with fan extension card), 16 phase vrm, and deluxe socket where it has extra pins. The Deluxe also has RGB lighting

Hey guys, as a birthday present some relatives offered to buy me an upgrade for my PC, one is paying for a motherboard and the other one for the memory. Since my motherboard just recently broke and Amazon offered to give me a full refund it fits perfectly to my current situation, I will buy the CPU myself, they will get me the mobo and the memory as well. That's why I decided to jump in the z170 train so early. 

Anyways, I was looking at this Motherboards:

7acvQFo.png?1

alIJJ3E.png?1

zuUCmiI.png?1

I currently own the Maximus VII Hero, but as I said I will be returning it tomorrow and getting a full refund for it which will go towards the new i7 CPU. 

What do you guys think is my best choice, as an additional note my build is white themed, that's why I am between these 3.

One last thing, a recommendation for the memory that goes with this motherboard, I don't know if it is the regular DDR4 memory or a new standard, again, preferably white or black. 

Thanks!

I love the look of the krait edition. Have a look at the features like sli, sata, m.2 and decide if you need the higher end asus deluxe. If not, get the cheaper krait

As you know, The Asus Maximus VIII has some Red Accents. If that doesn't bother you then that is my recommendation (I also have the Asus Maximus VII :P)

But if you are going for color, then the Deluxe will serve you very well if you take full advantage.

DDR4 is going to be the new standard in the near future. There is also DDR3L but I haven't seen good news about that.

I love the look of the krait edition. Have a look at the features like sli, sata, m.2 and decide if you need the higher end asus deluxe. If not, get the cheaper krait

I like the looks as well, but the price is what really got me there. I won't be using M.2. I need SLI support, and a good board to overclock both CPU and GPU. 

As you know, The Asus Maximus VIII has some Red Accents. If that doesn't bother you then that is my recommendation (I also have the Asus Maximus VII :P)

But if you are going for color, then the Deluxe will serve you very well if you take full advantage.

DDR4 is going to be the new standard in the near future. There is also DDR3L but I haven't seen good news about that.

Yes, but since its mostly black I don't think there is much problem with that, as I said right now I have the maximus vii and is almost all red and I can barely notice the color through my case window (760t). I'm still not sure, it seems that basically it comes down to the looks, they all have pretty much the same features right? None of them has any extras such as bluetooth, wifi, etc.

Seriously, between the 3, Krait is out unless you want to run a single gpu. with 2 gpus, it will block off the SATA ports. The Hero has red accents, so it might not fit your color theme, the logo I believe is RGB, unless you want to go with a triple color theme build of red/black/white. Deluxe is probably the one that fits your color them the most of black/white, it also has more features out of the 2 boards like dual gigabit lan, 3x3 wifi/bt, up to total of 10 fan connectors (with fan extension card), 16 phase vrm, and deluxe socket where it has extra pins. The Deluxe also has RGB lighting

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Seriously, between the 3, Krait is out unless you want to run a single gpu. with 2 gpus, it will block off the SATA ports. The Hero has red accents, so it might not fit your color theme, the logo I believe is RGB, unless you want to go with a triple color theme build of red/black/white. Deluxe is probably the one that fits your color them the most of black/white, it also has more features out of the 2 boards like dual gigabit lan, 3x3 wifi/bt, up to total of 10 fan connectors (with fan extension card), 16 phase vrm, and deluxe socket where it has extra pins.

I think I'm gonna stay with your answer, what memory do you recommend tho if I go with the deluxe, I'm tempted to get it!

I think I'm gonna stay with your answer, what memory do you recommend tho if I go with the deluxe, I'm tempted to get it!

Them newest one G.Skill Ripjaws V, but I do like the Trident Z better. Too bad it's not out yet. About RGB on the Deluxe, I may have made a mistake on that, Asus says "colors of the rainbow" don't know if that means RGB or just only the colors of the rainbow. 2 features from the ROG line has been moved over, Lan guard, and keybot. RGB logo on the Hero, is just the logo.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS-VIII-HERO/

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

Them newest one G.Skill Ripjaws V, but I do like the Trident Z better. Too bad it's not out yet. About RGB on the Deluxe, I may have made a mistake on that, Asus says "colors of the rainbow" don't know if that means RGB or just only the colors of the rainbow. 2 features from the ROG line has been moved over, Lan guard, and keybot. RGB logo on the Hero, is just the logo.

From a pure gaming perspective, do you think the better option is the ROG series motherboard or the deluxe ? I just watched the video reviews of both on Newegg TV and I'm not sure what they are trying to do because JJ didn't focus that much on gaming when talking about the Deluxe, I'm just a little confused, is there any advantage in gaming from one over the other? 

I'll take a look on the Ripjaws V

From a pure gaming perspective, do you think the better option is the ROG series motherboard or the deluxe ? I just watched the video reviews of both on Newegg TV and I'm not sure what they are trying to do because JJ didn't focus that much on gaming when talking about the Deluxe, I'm just a little confused, is there any advantage in gaming from one over the other?

I'll take a look on the Ripjaws V

The rog probably just comes with software that benefits for gaming, but both boards are great for gaming builds.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

The rog probably just comes with software that benefits for gaming, but both boards are great for gaming builds.

See that's the thing, I've never used any "gaming" software with my Maximus VII hero. I think I will go for the Deluxe.

See that's the thing, I've never used any "gaming" software with my Maximus VII hero. I think I will go for the Deluxe.

I think from Hardware Canucks they said their ROG series is RGB logo wise. Double check on that though. Not a 100% sure on the Deluxe though.

EDIT: Yes, even the Deluxe Has RGB Lighting. https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z170-DELUXE/

Only ROG board I've ever owned was the Rampage Formula, rest of them has been the Deluxe, since the Intel 945P. The ROG board did comes with some softwares, but I've never any of them. Was there any performanc enhancement on games between a gaming and non gaming boards? No.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!