What is the highest grade GPU that a FX-8350 will not bottleneck?

bandicam2013-02-0522-24-37-304_zpsb395a8

HAHAHA! I didn't know they would do that. Mine was fine, though it did have a 95W TDP, not 125W. I'm not worried though, I sold my FX for my current rig, lol.

HAHAHA! I didn't know they would do that. Mine was fine, though it did have a 95W TDP, not 125W. I'm not worried though, I sold my FX for my current rig, lol.

6300 is different than a 83XX so the tdp and amount of power needed is different.......

not really. the CPU feeds the GPU with tasks to calculate. that doesnt create a lot of load on ther CPU. it rather depends on the speed of the CPU transfering it's tasks to the GPU so cache, hypertransport (or quickpath interconnect on Intel side), ipc and the internal pipeline are factors here. not the clockspeed. your CPU can even be 1% load and still bottleneck your GPU.

thats what i basicly said if u read it, cpu can bottleneck gpu no matter what the load is,

and that mhz doesnt matter is wrong, where a 4690k for example may bottleneck in 3.5ghz it might not bottleneck in 4ghz, if i would downclock my 4690k to 2ghz it would be a huge bottleneck in cpu based games such as ffxiv / my  skyrim with 200+ mods, yet with 4ghz+ it wouldnt bottleneck

clockspeed plays a HUGE factor in performance aswell as singlespeed and multithreaded

(◑‿◐)

6300 is different than a 83XX so the tdp and amount of power needed is different.......

Yeah, I know, I literally said that. Anyway, OP should sell that crap and buy an i5. AMD isn't even competition anymore in the CPU market.

Yeah, I know, I literally said that. Anyway, OP should sell that crap and buy an i5. AMD isn't even competition anymore in the CPU market.

Now just because gaming isn't one, that doesn't mean all of their CPUs are shit.

Now just because gaming isn't one, that doesn't mean all of their CPUs are shit.

Whoops, jumped the gun. I meant for gaming, the FX line isn't competition.

It depends heavily on the game. It also depends on the overclock, I'll just assume a 4.5ghz OC, not that hard to get on an 8350.

In a well optimized game, you can get away with something like a 390, 290X, or 780ti, and if the game is really well optimized then perhaps a 980.

In a poorly optimized game, only about a 970, 280X, or 770 area.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Yes, the CPU is too slow to keep feeding the GPU tasks, so the GPU slows down and waits for the CPU to give it more tasks, so a bottleneck would look something like CPU at 100%, GPU at 60% or whatever else.

meh. CPU load is calculated from the length of the CPU queue and load of all the threads. if the GPU is faster than the CPU it has to wait for the CPU to give it tasks. so if the CPU isnt fast enough it doesnt matter if it is loaded or not. it will not complete it's request for the GPU at the same pace the GPU gets ready and waits for it.

so CPU load is not a requirement for a GPU bottleneck. ofc if the CPU is loaded at 100% and there still is more to process that will cause latency on the tasks for the GPU creating a bottleneck as well. but that doesnt have to be the case every time. also a CPU at 100% doesnt mean it can't keep up anymore - 100% load could also be exactly enough to handle all the tasks ;)

Bitfenix Phenom M White | ASUS RoG Maximus VIII Gene | Intel i7 6700K @4.6GHz | HyperX Savage 2800MHz CL14 DDR4 16GB | EVGA GTX1080 SC | Intel 750 Series PCIe SSD 400GB | EVGA SuperNova G2 550W | Windows 10 Professional x64 | Logitech G900, Corsair K70 RGB MXbrown O-ringed, BeyerDynamic DT880 (600 Ω) on Fiio E10K & Samson Meteor | Dell U2715H 27", Samsung SyncMaster P2450H 24", Samsung SyncMaster 931BF 19" | DIY Ambilight

I have an FX8350 @4.5ghz. and a gtx 980. At 4K, the Gpu is actually holding back the PC. I hve 2 PCs, one FX 8250 (desktop), and one i5 4670 (HTPC plugged into TV) and to be honest, in most games i see absolutely no difference.

Spoiler
  • Primary PC (Photo editing and gaming on a 4k Monitor): Intel I7 4790k @4.5ghz @1.2v | 24GB  Corsair Vengeance Ram @1600Mhz | 1x Palit GTX 1080 JetStream| 480GB Crucial SSD | 2x WD Blue 500gb | Corsair RM1000 | Corsair 600t
  • Secondary PC (Gaming and watching films on a 42" 4K LG IPS TV @4k60): Inteli7 4790k | Corsair H60 | Asus H81l-plus ITX | 16GB Kingston Hyperx Beast 1600MHz | 1x GTX 980 G1 Windforce| 1x Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO SSD |Corsair CXM750W | Coolermaster Elite 130

Since amd drivers have more cpu overhead, I'd recommend an nvidia gpu with your amd cpu. A 970 might bottleneck a little, but it would still perform quite a bit better than a 960.