Settings for GTA V

Akamii

what are the best settings to play GTA V on 60fps 1080p using this rig :

R9 285 OC

i5 4440 3.1Ghz

Are you wanting a full list of specific settings you should use or just a general suggestion of like normal-high settings?

Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB Cosair Vengenace LP 3600mhz, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra,  Sabrent Rocket 4 1TB NVME SSD, WD Blue SN570 NVME SSD, 4TB Mass storage, EVGA 750W G2, Corsair 270R

Are you wanting a full list of specific settings you should use or just a general suggestion of like normal-high settings?

i just wanna hit stable 60fps with high decent settings, which means not really very low

285 is easily capable or all high settings.

thing is and this is a bit of a dig.. stop being lazy! figure it out for yourself and retain that knowledge so the next game you buy you can change things to get the best experience.

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

285 is easily capable or all high settings.

thing is and this is a bit of a dig.. stop being lazy! figure it out for yourself and retain that knowledge so the next game you buy you can change things to get the best experience.

im not being lazy . already tried by myself but i would like to know the other suggestions , u call this " knowledge growth"

im not being lazy . already tried by myself but i would like to know the other suggestions , u call this " knowledge growth"

but everyone else's setup is different. and even if you had the exact same hardware there's still loads of factors that will effect it..

and if you've tried it and have a steady 60fps at 1080p then why ask? it's not like you haven't set it up to gain what you asked..

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

but everyone else's setup is different. and even if you had the exact same hardware there's still loads of factors that will effect it..

and if you've tried it and have a steady 60fps at 1080p then why ask? it's not like you haven't set it up to gain what you asked..

i didnt say i have a steady 60fps at 1080p

btw im asking here about decent settings, i didnt commit a crime u know..

Advanced settings off should give you a good amount of performance plus.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Turn off all advanced settings except Detailed Flying. 

Then go into your graphical tab and set everything to high or very high in general terms of textures etc. Ensure that your shadow's are to sharpest and also set your grass to normal. Seriously you won't notice much of a difference if your not looking for it but that can be a 10-30 fps increase from high/ultra etc. 

AA is also another biggie as that can hurt your frames quite badly, try using x2 MSAA but I would recommend using FXAA. (There are issues with using a lower graphical choice which causes certain frames to basically half render, its not your GPU playing up!)

You can also try lowering the reflection msaa or completely turning it off as once again unless your looking for it, it won't be noticeable per say.

Just try these and worst comes to shove I'll get you a rough setting when I finish work.

CPU: i7 8700k   Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero  RAM: 16GB @ 3600Mhz  GPU: MSI 980Ti 6G  Case: Fractal Design R5 (4 Intakes/3Exhausts)  Storage: Crucial BX100 SSD, Samsung 850 & Seagate 2TB HDD  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo '850W'  CPU Cooling: Corsair H110i GT 

I have a r9 285 and with these settings I was getting around 45-50fps in W8.1:

Memory around 2430MB

Ignore Suggested Limits: On

FXAA: On

MSAA: Off

Population density: 100%

Population Variety: 30%

Distance scaling: 100%

Grass quality: High

In-game Depth of field: Off

Particles quality: Very high

Post FX: Ultra

Reflection quality: Very High

Reflections MSAA: 4x

Shaders: Very High

Shadow Quality: Very High

Tessellation: Very High

Textures: Very High

Water quality: High

AO: High

Shadows: AMD CHSS

Long Shadows: Off

High Detail while Flying: Off

High resolution shadows: Off

Extended distance scaling: 30%

Extended Shadow Distance: 100%

I upgraded to W10 and did a clean install. Downloading again the game, so I will tell you

Build: CPU: Intel i5 4690k OC = 4.4Ghz | GPU: Gigabyte R9 285 OC = 1100/1575MHz | MB: MSI Z97M Gaming | RAM: Corsair 8GB 2133MHz CL9 | Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Silent 14 | CaseCooltek U3 | PSU: Corsair RM550 | MonitorDell UltraSharp 2414h | Keyboard: Steelseries 6gv2 | Mouse: Corsair M95

FireStrike score = 7803. Graphic score = 9363 (record single r9 285).

Turn off all advanced settings except Detailed Flying. 

Then go into your graphical tab and set everything to high or very high in general terms of textures etc. Ensure that your shadow's are to sharpest and also set your grass to normal. Seriously you won't notice much of a difference if your not looking for it but that can be a 10-30 fps increase from high/ultra etc. 

AA is also another biggie as that can hurt your frames quite badly, try using x2 MSAA but I would recommend using FXAA. (There are issues with using a lower graphical choice which causes certain frames to basically half render, its not your GPU playing up!)

You can also try lowering the reflection msaa or completely turning it off as once again unless your looking for it, it won't be noticeable per say.

Just try these and worst comes to shove I'll get you a rough setting when I finish work.

already tried to turn off adv settings, "actually i didnt even turn on high res shadows before" and it was the same..

and if i put textures on High or Very high, i run out of vram "in the settings vram bar" .. but actually i dont run out of vram in msi afterburner but my pagefile is being very high and getting me some fps drops.

well, i gotta try that but i already tried high to very high settings with msaa off,adv settings off, and i got the same results :S

I have a r9 285 and with these settings I was getting around 45-50fps in W8.1:

Memory around 2430MB

Ignore Suggested Limits: On

FXAA: On

MSAA: Off

Population density: 100%

Population Variety: 30%

Distance scaling: 100%

Grass quality: High

In-game Depth of field: Off

Particles quality: Very high

Post FX: Ultra

Reflection quality: Very High

Reflections MSAA: 4x

Shaders: Very High

Shadow Quality: Very High

Tessellation: Very High

Textures: Very High

Water quality: High

AO: High

Shadows: AMD CHSS

Long Shadows: Off

High Detail while Flying: Off

High resolution shadows: Off

Extended distance scaling: 30%

Extended Shadow Distance: 100%

I upgraded to W10 and did a clean install. Downloading again the game, so I will tell you

there's anyway to get 60fps?

what are the best settings to play GTA V on 60fps 1080p using this rig :

R9 285 OC

i5 4440 3.1Ghz

The best way is to fire up Riva Tuner Stats Server and see how your GPU and CPU are handling various settings, following this guide for ideas on where to start with your settings:

And here the corresponding article:

http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/1909-gta-v-graphics-optimization-guide

already tried to turn off adv settings, "actually i didnt even turn on high res shadows before" and it was the same..

and if i put textures on High or Very high, i run out of vram "in the settings vram bar" .. but actually i dont run out of vram in msi afterburner but my pagefile is being very high and getting me some fps drops.

well, i gotta try that but i already tried high to very high settings with msaa off,adv settings off, and i got the same results :S

Everyone with a 2GB card should run the highest level textures. The lower texture settings are for people using 1GB cards like the HD 7770. Gamersnexus tested this and the difference in performance with very high textures vs normal is negligible even with an R9 270x while the difference in image quality is night and day.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/gg/1907-gta-v-texture-quality-comparison-and-fps-4k

there's anyway to get 60fps?

That was on stock gpu speeds (973/1375) since the game crashes even with the core just at 1000 (I hope it fixes with the clean install).

To get more fps try some or all these things:

- Turn off extended distance scaling

- Put shadow quality to high

- Post FX to high

- Shadows to Softer

i7 5775c @4.1GHz // 2x4GB 2400MHz CL10 // R9 285 @1120/1575MHz // SSD MX100 512GB // Z97M Gaming // RM550 // Prolimatech Megahalems+ NF-P14s Redux // Cooletk U3

Everyone with a 2GB card should run the highest level textures. The lower texture settings are for people using 1GB cards like the HD 7770. Gamersnexus tested this and the difference in performance with very high textures vs normal is negligible even with an R9 270x while the difference in image quality is night and day.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/gg/1907-gta-v-texture-quality-comparison-and-fps-4k

i mentioned that i get high ram usage+ pagefile usage once i turn textures on Very High dude, and then it start shattering and dropin

The best way is to fire up Riva Tuner Stats Server and see how your GPU and CPU are handling various settings, following this guide for ideas on where to start with your settings:

And here the corresponding article:

http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/1909-gta-v-graphics-optimization-guide

the problem is.. i tried High to normal and High to Very high settings without MSAA and the results were the same..

im worried that i5 4440 is bottlenecking ..

highly unlikely

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

What's your GPU usage when you have vsync off? If you're worried about a CPU bottleneck, the things to turn down are shadows, grass, draw distance, and population density. But I wouldn't change those unless you're getting lousy GPU usage. A few scenarios to consider where the game behaves very different are:

1. Try the downtown area around the strip club and the skyscrapers from sunset to dusk to see if shadows are limiting you

2. Drive the rich shopping district around Micheal's house in the daytime to see if the number of NPCs is limiting you

3. Drive really fast on the highway outside of town and see if grass settings are limiting you

4. Drive on the highway through the forest near the Mt Chiliad tramway. This should be pretty GPU bound.

See what your GPU usage is like in those four scenarios with vsync off and you'll get a good idea of things that need to be turned down. But test all four at your current settings first.

Note what your GPU usage is most of the time, as well as lows. For instance, my GTX 970 is mostly at 95% GPU usage with my Xeon E3-1231v3, but even the Xeon at 3.6 GHz with hyperthreading can drop into the high 80s GPU usage for very brief periods in areas populated with lots of foot traffic. But the vast majority of the time it's about 95% usage in such areas.

What's your GPU usage when you have vsync off? If you're worried about a CPU bottleneck, the things to turn down are shadows, grass, draw distance, and population density. But I wouldn't change those unless you're getting lousy GPU usage. A few scenarios to consider where the game behaves very different are:

1. Try the downtown area around the strip club and the skyscrapers from sunset to dusk to see if shadows are limiting you

2. Drive the rich shopping district around Micheal's house in the daytime to see if the number of NPCs is limiting you

3. Drive really fast on the highway outside of town and see if grass settings are limiting you

4. Drive on the highway through the forest near the Mt Chiliad tramway. This should be pretty GPU bound.

See what your GPU usage is like in those four scenarios with vsync off and you'll get a good idea of things that need to be turned down. But test all four at your current settings first.

getting a lousy GPU usage already " 768p" (gotta buy 1080p) and ye its not about the res, i still getting low fps its not overpowered fps to put more work to do on the cpu, so even on 1080p it will be worst fps and cpu usage.

my current cpu usage is around 80~95%

GPU : 50% ~ 70%   880mhz ~ 950mhz

getting a lousy GPU usage already " 768p" (gotta buy 1080p) and ye its not about the res, i still getting low fps its not overpowered fps to put more work to do on the cpu, so even on 1080p it will be worst fps and cpu usage.

my current cpu usage is around 80~95%

GPU : 50% ~ 70%   880mhz ~ 950mhz

Ah at 768p you'd get pretty horrible GPU usage on any CPU out there. You should definitely turn on 2xMSAA at least. When testing the game with two cores turned off and HT on to simulate a 3.8GHz i3 I got GPU usage mostly in the 85% range at 1080p and framerates were 55-75 fps with my 970. I know this is 700 MHz faster than an i5-4440 runs, but that should pale in comparison to running four real cores vs two real cores and two extra hardware threads. If you're running reasonable settings and not getting near 60 fps at 768p then the only other culprit I could think of would be AMD DirectX11 driver overhead, assuming you don't have a virus or a bitcoin miner or something on your system. Are you using the newest beta drivers? AMD seems to take forever to release official drivers.

Take some screencaps of all your graphics and advanced graphics settings.

Ah at 768p you'd get pretty horrible GPU usage on any CPU out there. You should definitely turn on 2xMSAA at least. When testing the game with two cores turned off and HT on to simulate a 3.8GHz i3 I got GPU usage mostly in the 85% range at 1080p and framerates were 55-75 fps with my 970. I know this is 700 MHz faster than an i5-4440 runs, but that should pale in comparison to running four real cores vs two real cores and two extra hardware threads. If you're running reasonable settings and not getting near 60 fps at 768p then the only other culprit I could think of would be AMD DirectX11 driver overhead, assuming you don't have a virus or a bitcoin miner or something on your system. Are you using the newest beta drivers? AMD seems to take forever to release official drivers.

Take some screencaps of all your graphics and advanced graphics settings.

yes pretty horrible gpu usage on any cpu but why even with Vsync on i still get pretty high cpu usage ?

and well.. im using amd 15.7.1 driver which was released 29/7/2015 

and sorry i dont get what do you mean by saying " AMD DX11 driver overhead" ?

note : i tried msaa x8 and i was getting GPU usage on 100% stable.. really stable. but with 30~45fps "almost stable 35fps" .. and the cpu usage was decreased to 34~50% .. lol

can i consider msaa x8 as 1080p monitor ? i mean it will be the same and i will be able to play it only on 35fps? O_O