system reserved

WyvernAbstracts

can i delete the system reseved of my storage drive since I have now moves os to ssd

My Little Gaming Rig:

CPU: FX 8320 | MOBO: Gigabyte 970A-D3P | RAM: G.Skill Ares 2x4GB | GPU: Sapphire Dual-X R9 270X | Storage: Seagate SSHD 1TB | Case: Corsair 200R | PSU: CM 550W V-Series

Upgrades to come: CPU FAN: Corsair H100i | RAM: 2 more 4GB sticks | GPU: Another R9 270X running in crossfire | Storage: Samsung 120GB SSD | PSU: Corsair 800w

can i delete the system reseved of my storage drive since I have now moves os to ssd

OMG

sry.

You forgot to remove the HDD when installing the os on the ssd.

you have to REMOVE the hdd

and reinstall windows on the ssd

OMG

sry.

You forgot to remove the HDD when installing the os on the ssd.

you have to REMOVE the hdd

and reinstall windows on the ssd

what are you talking about? I did a fresh install of windows on my ssd, I was just wondering if i can remove existing partitions on my harddrive that I now use as a storage drive

My Little Gaming Rig:

CPU: FX 8320 | MOBO: Gigabyte 970A-D3P | RAM: G.Skill Ares 2x4GB | GPU: Sapphire Dual-X R9 270X | Storage: Seagate SSHD 1TB | Case: Corsair 200R | PSU: CM 550W V-Series

Upgrades to come: CPU FAN: Corsair H100i | RAM: 2 more 4GB sticks | GPU: Another R9 270X running in crossfire | Storage: Samsung 120GB SSD | PSU: Corsair 800w

How did you move the OS. Was it simply copy/pasting files from you old drive to your new drive.... I hope not.

Did you clone the old drive to the SSD? Or a clean install?

First of all, you don't necessarily need to remove the old drive before installing the OS to a newly attached drive. Here is what you can do to check if you can delete the files/partitions on the old drive. I assume you are using Windows.

1. Open Computer Management > Disk Management. See if your SSD has a 100MB hidden partition "System Reserved" in front of the active partition.

2. Remove the old drive and see if the computer still boots with only your SSD is attached.

If the SSD has a hidden partition about 100MB in size and the computer will boot into the OS with only the SSD connected, it is safe to do what you want with your old HDD.

Now if it doesn't have the hidden partition or doesn't boot, what happened is that for some OSs, when you install them to a machine with more than 1 storage media attached, it will install the files to the storage media you selected however it could create the boot partition on another storage media. It shouldn't be common these days though.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

what are you talking about? I did a fresh install of windows on my ssd, I was just wondering if i can remove existing partitions on my harddrive that I now use as a storage drive

YES, but windows was on the hdd right?

and you left it in during install right?

Yes you can, now if you left the HDD in while installing on the SSD, Windows may have placed some files in the HDD, at least it used to do that back in Win7, I still install on one drive and plug in all other drives later to avoid that regardless if that changed or not, it a better way to do it. If you didn't then open Disk Management then format it to clean it up, and you should be good.

Regards Elias N Martinez. | Graphic and motion design are my jobs. 3D modeling is my hobby. I do what I enjoy.  Skype: eliasnmartinez1 (please state that you are coming from LTT)

Yes you can, now if you left the HDD in while installing on the SSD, Windows may have placed some files in the HDD, at least it used to do that back in Win7, I still install on one drive and plug in all other drives later to avoid that regardless if that changed or not, it a better way to do it. If you didn't then open Disk Management then format it to clean it up, and you should be good.

Can you guys fill me in,first time I ever heard of this, (The more you know  :P )

(Insert GIF here) 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Can you guys fill me in,first time I ever heard of this, (The more you know  :P )

(Insert GIF here) 

hdd has windows + boot loader/system reserved

when you install the ssdd and leave the hdd

windows see oh boot loader on hdd ill just mark that ssd is here too

basically if he removes his hdd his system will no longer boot :)

(Insert GIF here) 

Back in Win7, if you had two or more drives windows would use two drives and the boot loader went to one drive and the OS files to the other so if one failed or was unplugged, you couldn't boot. 

Regards Elias N Martinez. | Graphic and motion design are my jobs. 3D modeling is my hobby. I do what I enjoy.  Skype: eliasnmartinez1 (please state that you are coming from LTT)

Back in Win7, if you had two or more drives windows would use two drives and the boot loader went to one drive and the OS files to the other so if one failed or was unplugged, you couldn't boot. 

hdd has windows + boot loader/system reserved

when you install the ssdd and leave the hdd

windows see oh boot loader on hdd ill just mark that ssd is here too

basically if he removes his hdd his system will no longer boot :)

Thanks for letting me know!,you saved me from lot of trouble if i was to install windows in the future but future will probably be windows 10,hopefully this is not a issue anymore.

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

no, hdd was not in during install of windows

My Little Gaming Rig:

no, hdd was not in during install of windows

Then you can delete the system reserved partition. Nothing should happen.

Then you can delete the system reserved partition. Nothing should happen.

wut about the (healthy recovery partition}

My Little Gaming Rig:

If it has important files, back them up if you wish, or keep them and mount it. Otherwise just format it to get a nice and empty HDD. If you are not sure run a chkdsk before adding any file that will make use of that drive, like installing a program. and resolve any errors.