New SSD

Go to solution Solved by PudgyAstronaut,

Sorry for being annoying but how exactly do i do that?

No problem, can't easily say since I am at work but I think this walks you through it http://www.mameau.com/add-existing-steam-library-folders/

So i bought a new ssd and installed windows on it. How do i tranfer some of my games to the ssd? Should i just redownload them? And also how do i make steam recognize the existing games on my old drive so that i dont have to redownload them?

Also should i just delete everything my old drive had (apps, programs and stuff) and redownload them?

Thnx for your time :)

Almost always best for a clean install.

CPU: A10-6800k @ 4.7 Motherboard: Asus A88X-Plus RAM: Kingston HyperX 2 x 4 GB GPU: PNY GTX 660 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: 500 GB Samsung 850 Evo, 120 GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1 TB WD Blue PSU: Corsair HX750i Display(s): Asus VS248H-P Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 Keyboard: Amazon Special Mouse: Corsair Raptor M45 Sound: Amazon Special Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

If i was you I would re download all of your games. If you do not do this it can cause problems later. I would Not delete everything on the old drive I would keep it as backup!

So i bought a new ssd and installed windows on it. How do i tranfer some of my games to the ssd? Should i just redownload them? And also how do i make steam recognize the existing games on my old drive so that i dont have to redownload them?

Also should i just delete everything my old drive had (apps, programs and stuff) and redownload them?

I just have a "steam partition" and yes you can add new folders within steam and it recognizes them, which is pretty boss. You can have multiple folders so if you have any game with slow loading screens that you play a lot you can put that on the SSD to see if it helps.

CPU:  Intel i7-4790K      Cooler:  Noctua NH-D14     GPU: ZOTAC GTX 1070 TI MINI     Motherboard:  ASUS Z97 Gryphon     RAM:  32GB G Skill Trident X     

Storage: 2x 512GB Samsung 850 EVO (RAID 0) / 2TB Seagate Barracuda     PSU: 850W EVGA SuperNova G2     Case: Fractal Design Node 804

How do i delete everything from the old drive?

You can just copy the steamapps folder from the old hdd to the steam apps folder in the new ssd and then start up steam and everything will be there granted than the old steamapps folder has all the games you want, you just need to make sure the ssd can hold the folder. I alwasy back up my steamapps folder just in case of an issue like this.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

I just have a "steam partition" and yes you can add new folders within steam and it recognizes them, which is pretty boss. You can have multiple folders so if you have any game with slow loading screens that you play a lot you can put that on the SSD to see if it helps.

Yeah but i want it to recognize the games on the old drive, not move them all to the new one.

Yeah but i want it to recognize the games on the old drive, not move them all to the new one.

Okay I am just saying you can delete all of the other OS stuff off of the old drive then go into steam and add a custom install location and browse to find the old drive. I suggest moving them to a new partition on the old drive so it's cleaner, but that's up to you.

CPU:  Intel i7-4790K      Cooler:  Noctua NH-D14     GPU: ZOTAC GTX 1070 TI MINI     Motherboard:  ASUS Z97 Gryphon     RAM:  32GB G Skill Trident X     

Storage: 2x 512GB Samsung 850 EVO (RAID 0) / 2TB Seagate Barracuda     PSU: 850W EVGA SuperNova G2     Case: Fractal Design Node 804

Okay I am just saying you can delete all of the other OS stuff off of the old drive then go into steam and add a custom install location and browse to find the old drive. I suggest moving them to a new partition on the old drive so it's cleaner, but that's up to you.

No problem, can't easily say since I am at work but I think this walks you through it http://www.mameau.com/add-existing-steam-library-folders/

Leave the games where they are and point the installation to the where they are.

Steam will recognise the files and will validate them. No need to re-download.

This doesn't mean you will keep your save files, some will as they are stored in the game location, some on the steam cloud, but most will be be in your My Documents or another C:/ location so will be lost in the format unless if manually backed up.

It's not a race to the bottom.