Screen Freezes, Fans Ramp Up

PoLoMoTo

So I just had my screen freeze and then my fans ramped up for a couple seconds and then when down a bit but still not normal levels, theres no minidump although I did hit the reset button pretty quick as I was worried about the CPU.

Specs

i7-5960x

X99-Deluxe

16GB (4 x 4GB) G.Skill Ripjaws 4 2666Mhz

2x R9 290x's

Thortech Thunderbolt 1000w Plus

Windows 10 Pro, clean install

My CPU is overclocked to 4.5GHz but I've never seen a crash like this, could it really be because of the overclock?  It's running 4.5GHz at 1.35v core which from what I read was pretty safe I thought.  Temps are fine under load with only two cores getting in the low 80s.

-SNIP-

Try doing a stress test to see if it's stable but it could be because of the OC or something up with Windows 10 since there are still some kinks that need to be fully worked out.

Try doing a stress test to see if it's stable but it could be because of the OC or something up with Windows 10 since there are still some kinks that need to be fully worked out.

I'll do a stress test tomorrow, is RealBench good?  Or should I download Aida64? 

I kind of hope its a Windows 10 thing, I think.  I could've sworn I got it down to 1.2v stable before, dunno.

Well it is safe, but only if you have the right cooling.

Do you still have stock cooling?

Nah I have a triple 120mm radiator with three of the Noctua NF-F12 3000RPM iPPC fans for one of my GPUs and my CPU.

Also are there numbers on the motherboard at all? A display that shows numbers? Check online/in the manual for what those numbers mean if you have the numbers.

I didn't check, I'll have to next time. (Hopefully there isn't a next time....) I got mildly scared with the fans ramping up.

The number display will look something like this: 

http://i.imgur.com/FXqrtnO.jpg

It varies from motherboard to motherboard though

Yea I've used it before for debugging I just didn't think to check.

-SNIP-

If I'd had to choose I'd use Adia 64 and 1.2V is pretty low I think stock is around 1.25V. One of the main reasons I wanted to wait before changing to Windows 10.

If I'd had to choose I'd use Adia 64 and 1.2V is pretty low I think stock is around 1.25V. One of the main reasons I wanted to wait before changing to Windows 10.

Ok, maybe I'll downgrade to 7 to run the stress, depending on if my Windows 10 install is really ruined or not.  And actually I'm pretty sure stock voltage is 1v, 1.2v was definitely very low but from my recollection it was pretty stable, I put it back at 1.35v when I installed windows 10

Well I ran Aida64 for half an hour and nothing.  CPU temps were pretty stable with core 3 in Aida64 being the only one that really jumped around, it was usually fine but jumped into the upper 80s sometimes and peaked at 91, all the others that were shown were fine though.  In Speedfan the temps were a bit more stable.  Water temp stabilized at 32.3 - 32.6 degrees at least until the central air turned on towards the end dropping it to 30 by the end of the test and was still dropping lol.

post-4422-0-61144500-1438623414.png

Do I need to run it longer?  Or can I just assume it was windows?

EDIT: My PSU does not have that fancy Haswell compatible certification thing as it was produced before Haswell, could that have caused the problem?

post-4422-0-61144500-1438623414.png

-SNIP-

An hour is a decent measure of stability but 91C is a little high usually you don't want to go over 85C.

I just had it do this again and the code on the motherboard was 30 which is "System is waking up from S3 sleep state" which I think was just left over from when it woke up from sleep.

Could it be the C6 and C7 sleep states?  The CPU was only at like 2 or 3 percent load both times.