How noisy are your WD Blacks?

Jerombolo

So I bought a new one and got a new on for the old one dying at somepoint because of hard vibrations and K noise etc. So I wanted to ask if yours are dead silent or make some noise during reading and writing. Mine yesterday made some horrible noise for a short time 3, 4 times. 

So I bought a new one and got a new on for the old one dying at somepoint because of hard vibrations and K noise etc. So I wanted to ask if yours are dead silent or make some noise during reading and writing. Mine yesterday made some horrible noise for a short time 3, 4 times. 

I wouldn't call them dead silent since they do make some noise, but compared to my 10 year old Seagate barracuda they are pretty quiet.

I wouldn't call them dead silent since they do make some noise, but compared to my 10 year old Seagate barracuda they are pretty quiet.

It's just making a annoying sound right now that I'm installing a game...

What kind of noises? Was it a clicking or grinding sound? That might be a sign of a bad drive as I haven't ever heard a healthy new WD make clicky or grindy sounds.

WD Blacks will be a little louder than some drives, because WD haven't made drives with AAC for a couple of years now, but it should be a vibration-y sound. You might hear the platters spinning (especially when they spin up from idle), but any clicking or grinding would be cause for concern.

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

Try defragging. I did it to my parents computer and they thought I was Jesus

I did one of the two already. It kinda worked I guess. Can't tell because the 2nd one is still making quite some noise

What kind of noises? Was it a clicking or grinding sound? That might be a sign of a bad drive as I haven't ever heard a healthy new WD make clicky or grindy sounds.

WD Blacks will be a little louder than some drives, because WD haven't made drives with AAC for a couple of years now, but it should be a vibration-y sound. You might hear the platters spinning (especially when they spin up from idle), but any clicking or grinding would be cause for concern.

I could make a video where you can hear it and send you the link via dropbox but that has to wait until tomorrow

A rather clicking sound. Once I had  a grinding

Well mine makes a bit a noise, nothing major as far as I'm aware (I'm wearing headphones most of the time). Just double checking with a cridimark run right now (9 passes, 4GB so it'll be a good few mins).

Also, a recording of the sound would be helpful, it just gives us a better idea of what it sounds like.

A rather clicking sound. Once I had  a grinding

Is this a new drive or an old one? You could check out the SMART info to see if anything is obviously wrong using CrystalDiskInfo:

http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html

Their website can be confusing so here is a direct link the portable app:

http://osdn.jp/projects/crystaldiskinfo/downloads/63423/CrystalDiskInfo6_5_2.zip/?use_mirror=jaist

And run a quick test with HDTune to check out the state of the platters (or a full test if you want to wait, but they can take a very long time):

http://www.hdtune.com/download.html

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

Well mine makes a bit a noise, nothing major as far as I'm aware (I'm wearing headphones most of the time). Just double checking with a cridimark run right now (9 passes, 4GB so it'll be a good few mins).

Also, a recording of the sound would be helpful, it just gives us a better idea of what it sounds like.

Should I send you a dropbox link too?

Should I send you a dropbox link too?

If you want to, it'd probably be more convenient for the others if you uploaded it to youtube or something. and posted the link in this thread. 

EDIT: Just about done the CriDiMark test and it's pretty quiet all around, it makes more noise when dealing with lots of small files but it's not a massive amount of noise.

Though another drive of mine makes a sort of grinding noise, though again, nothing major, and in its defence it's an enterprise grade drive so I assume noise wasn't at the top of the priorities list.

Everything says it's ok regarding the health of it. I ran a quick benchmark and everytime it makes a "k" the speed goes down about 20MB/s and then comes up again to 170MB/s

Am I the only person who can only hear his drive when it's scanning/updating/installing/working @ 100%?
I have had WD Blue and WD Red and I don't have noise complaints. When I put my ear next to it, sure, I can hear some noise every few seconds of it spinning or idk but when the case is closed and fans are running I hear nothing.

Btw, I own a 10-year-old 4GB (when those use to be large lol) Barracuda. Good old days. Still works to this day.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Am I the only person who can only hear his drive when it's scanning/updating/installing/working @ 100%?

I have had WD Blue and WD Red and I don't have noise complaints. When I put my ear next to it, sure, I can hear some noise every few seconds of it spinning or idk but when the case is closed and fans are running I hear nothing.

Btw, I own a 10-year-old 4GB (when those use to be large lol) Barracuda. Good old days. Still works to this day.

I didn't have a problem with my Green on neither. I had a Blue one a year a go but I can't remember anymore how loud it was. I think it was nearly silent too

I didn't have a problem with my Green on neither. I had a Blue one a year a go but I can't remember anymore how loud it was. I think it was nearly silent too

I actually prefer WD's drives to Seagate. Both are good but I simply like the fact that I've done dumb shit (turn PC on it's side while working) and the drive didn't break.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

So I'll go to bed now. I leave the PC running because I still need to download games (which I'm doing since Tuesday withouht more then 1 shutdown). I'll report how it was tomorrow

So I'll go to bed now. I leave the PC running because I still need to download games (which I'm doing since Tuesday withouht more then 1 shutdown). I'll report how it was tomorrow

The disk being louder while you are downloading something might be normal. If you are like me and hear even the slightest vibrations your PC makes you will panic a lot more than needed :D. If the SMART table doesn't display any issues then it's likely fine.

The disk being louder while you are downloading something might be normal. If you are like me and hear even the slightest vibrations your PC makes you will panic a lot more than needed :D. If the SMART table doesn't display any issues then it's likely fine.

Just checked the S.M.A.R.T. status with the Samsung Magician. Everything is okay. The noise just drives me nuts^^ It's this "K" noise........

Just checked the S.M.A.R.T. status with the Samsung Magician. Everything is okay. The noise just drives me nuts^^ It's this "K" noise........

is it there if the drive is idling as in not under load? If not it's normal if yes it's unusual.

is it there if the drive is idling as in not under load? If not it's normal if yes it's unusual.

Now, I'm downloading a game. So it's reading now. But it isn't permanent. Breaks of 1-2 secs inbetween