Windows 10 has loads of space taken up (ARGHH)

crabcrabcam
Go to solution Solved by crabcrabcam,

Wait, what?

It was the "Temp_savefilesafetodelete" or something like that

I had deleted that ages ago and it said it was 0Bytes. That was what the problem was

I recently installed windows 10 (about 5 hours ago). I got on it and went to look at all my new space, but my C drive was half full. The same amount as it used to be before the clean install of windows 10. I looked in it and saw that there was everything from the last install still there. I decided to just do a recovery and reinstall windows 10. I have done that and after agaes of waiting, it's done. But this time something even stranger has happened. There is around 300GB of space taken up, admitedly less than before, but there are no files for this to be and windows 10 should only take up 20GB on my system. Can anyone help me here or aid me in what to do?

Please remember to follow your posts so you get notifications of people replying. If you want to reply to me directly, and I am not the author of the post, quote me.

Space is probably taken up by windows.old .

Use WinDirStat to see what is taking up so much space.

Also, use CCleaner.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Space is probably taken up by windows.old .

Use WinDirStat to see what is taking up so much space.

Also, use CCleaner.

Is it ok to just delete windows.old? or should I do it a special way?

Please remember to follow your posts so you get notifications of people replying. If you want to reply to me directly, and I am not the author of the post, quote me.

If you don't want anything from there...

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Windows.old is coming up in properties as only 60KB? The "Windows" folder comes up as around 13.5GB. I also need "SYSTEM" permissions to edit the folder. I.E Delete

Just do a clean install.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

also, right now win10 isn't reading SSDs properly, the storage space is not showing properly freed space, thus when you delete something the drive doesnt look any less full.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

also, right now win10 isn't reading SSDs properly, the storage space is not showing properly freed space, thus when you delete something the drive doesnt look any less full.

I'm not using an SSD. It's a full hard drive. Could that also be a problem there?

Just do a clean install.

Done that already.

Windows.old is coming up in properties as only 60KB? The "Windows" folder comes up as around 13.5GB. I also need "SYSTEM" permissions to edit the folder. I.E Delete

DON'T DELETE THE WINDOWS FOLDER.

Mine works fine so must be a bug.

@crabcrabcam That's strange as I actually have much more free space compared to when I had Windows 8.1.. TreeSize is the best thing I can think of.

DON'T DELETE THE WINDOWS FOLDER.

I wasn't planning on it, haha

I'm not using an SSD. It's a full hard drive. Could that also be a problem there?

i' not sure if it affects HDDs, i havent used my laptop enough to know yet.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

Mine works fine so must be a bug.

@crabcrabcam That's strange as I actually have much more free space compared to when I had Windows 8.1.. TreeSize is the best thing I can think of.

It was the recycle bin? The whole thing was in the recycle bin!

Remember, if you have this problem. Skip the hard part and check the recycle bin! It even said it was an empty file!

Wait, what?

I had deleted that ages ago and it said it was 0Bytes. That was what the problem was

Well glad we could help..... Kinda? lol

Done that already.

If you have a Windows.old folder, then you didn't do a clean install.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE