Do not update to Nvidia 353.62 (Win10) Drivers!

Silyy097

*If your temps on this driver are lower please do not blame me, I am trying to get the word out to those who have a similar problem to me. This might not affect everybody.*

EDIT: added spoilers for images

Hello there!
Yesterday I had installed the new drivers for windows 10, however I was not running windows 10 but still running 8.1. I noticed that the temps on my GPU were higher than normal:

yAadfqx.png

The card wouldn't go back to stock clocks! It just idled at 1113Mhz, as if something was using the GPU on the desktop. After much troubleshooting, I tried rolling back the drivers and to my amazement:

HsVzY03.png

It works! I am back to 135Mhz on idle, and my temps are steadily going down.

I am going to keep this driver until I upgrade to Win10 in a few weeks time, by then I will check if using the right drivers on the right platform will have a difference.

Cheers!

Quote me if you want me to see your message. Like my post if it helped. Click "Show More" to see things that I use.

Desktop (2014): CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k @ 3.50GHz | GPU: MSi GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Motherboard: MSi Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill RipJaws X 1600MHz + 2x4GB HyperX Black 1600MHz | SSD: Samsung 750 Evo 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212x | PSU: Corsair VS650 | Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus | OS: Windows 10 Home

Laptop (2017): Model: Asus UX310U

Peripherals: Monitor: Samsung S24D300 OC@75Hz + Viewsonic XG2401 (144Hz) | Mouse: Logitech G305 | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 | Headset: HyperX Cloud Core | Speakers: Logitech Z333 | Additional: Logitech G29

Mobiles: Samsung Pixon (2010-2012) | Samsung Galaxy Ace (2012-2013) | Samsung Galaxy S3 (2013-2016) | Samsung Note 4 (2015)(Lost) | Samsung Galaxy S7 (2016-2019) | Samsung Galaxy S10 (2019 - Current) | Additional: ASUS Zenwatch 2 (2016)

Hmm, I never had this issue, perhaps a fan curve broke with the update? I'll keep an eye out for it, I'm also on 353.62

My GPU is running just as cool as normal, sitting at 135MHz "idle" clock speed.

Sitting on .62 on win 10 as well :P

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Your GPU is supposed to downclock all the way at idle? Mine has been sitting at 925MHz...

Edit: Apparently it's from running my display at 144Hz. If I change it to 120 my card downclocks all the way... How do I fix this?

This is because you updated the driver without uninstalling and restarting before hand.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

*If your temps on this driver are lower please do not blame me, I am trying to get the word out to those who have a similar problem to me. This might not affect everybody.*

EDIT: added spoilers for images

Hello there!
Yesterday I had installed the new drivers for windows 10, however I was not running windows 10 but still running 8.1. I noticed that the temps on my GPU were higher than normal:

yAadfqx.png

The card wouldn't go back to stock clocks! It just idled at 1113Mhz, as if something was using the GPU on the desktop. After much troubleshooting, I tried rolling back the drivers and to my amazement:

HsVzY03.png

It works! I am back to 135Mhz on idle, and my temps are steadily going down.

I am going to keep this driver until I upgrade to Win10 in a few weeks time, by then I will check if using the right drivers on the right platform will have a difference.

Cheers!

i know this problem, its caused sometimes when you dont restart after installing the driver.

Your GPU is supposed to downclock all the way at idle? Mine has been sitting at 925MHz...

Edit: Apparently it's from running my display at 144Hz. If I change it to 120 my card downclocks all the way... How do I fix this?

This is intended when you use two or more Monitors and one of them isnt 144hz. Its a feature, which was added because the drivers made problems without it in the past.

When you only use 144hz Monitor(s) your Card will downclock all the way down as usual.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

Worked perfectly fine for me.

i7-5820k @ 4.6ghz w/ H100i || Asus Sabertooth x99 || Gigabyte 980ti G1 ||  EVGA 980ti SC || 32gb DDR4 2666mhz Gskil || 1tb WD Black HDD || Samsung XP941 256gb M.2 PCIe || EVGA 1300w G2 || Corsair 540 w/ Silverstone Sound Dampening Foam || Logisys RGB Led  || Corsair M65 Mouse  & Corsair RGB k70 || A lot of Corsair SP120s

This is because you updated the driver without uninstalling and restarting before hand.

That shouldn't do anything like break it

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

That shouldn't do anything like break it

Actually, it totally does.  Uninstall the current driver.  Then reinstall the old version of the driver, then uninstall that version...  Then you can proceed with a installation of the current driver.  Alternatively, just hope that it fixes itself.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Actually, it totally does.  Uninstall the current driver.  Then reinstall the old version of the driver, then uninstall that version...  Then you can proceed with a installation of the current driver.  Alternatively, just hope that it fixes itself.

I've never experienced an issue by simply installing "express" over an old driver. Ever. Uninstalling/clean installing or running DDU prior to each install is honestly little but a waste of time unless you specifically have a problem.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

I've never experienced an issue by simply installing "express" over an old driver. Ever. Uninstalling/clean installing or running DDU prior to each install is honestly little but a waste of time unless you specifically have a problem.

Isn't he specifically experiencing a problem?  Or did I miss something here?

Spoiler

Isn't he specifically experiencing a problem?  Or did I miss something here?

Yes. he is. you however said "it's because you didn't uninstall the driver first". I informed you that failing to uninstall the old driver and restarting the PC first should not introduce problems, rather than your declaration that his issue was caused by that.

Yes. he is. you however said "it's because you didn't uninstall the driver first". I informed you that failing to uninstall the old driver and restarting the PC first should not introduce problems, rather than your declaration that his issue was caused by that.

It absolutely is known to cause issues.  Both Nvidia and AMD give SPECIFIC instructions to uninstall before any install.

Spoiler

No issues for me with 353.62 and Windows 10.

Temps are the same, frequencies are the same, no noticeable changes in performance so far.

Take is for what it's worth, a single online random person's experience.

It's been an issue for a while now and you can't do anything about it. I have just accepted it and keep it on 144 hz.

Mah Build:  CPU: Intel i7-7700K COOLING: NZXT Kraken X52 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 MOBO: Asus Strix Z270F RAM: 16GB GSKILL TridentZ RGB 3000 

CASE: In Win 303 STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate 1TB  SSHD PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W

Happened to me once even without this driver but temps werent high. It didnt effect gaming at all (and same temps on heavy load) so who cares? 

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4 GHz                                                 Case: Fractal Design Define R5                       SSD: Samsung Evo 850 250gb          Monitor:  Benq GL2760        
   GPU: MSI GTX 970 SLI (+140 Core|+400 Mem)               Motherboard: Msi Z97-G5                                 HDD: WD blue 1TB                             CPU Cooler:  Hyper 412s
      RAM: 16GB HyperX DDR3 1600MHz                                PSU: Cooler Master v850                                 Storage: Adata HV610 1TB                  OS: Windows 10           

Thats.. Annoying.. I think i would rather let it "break" with idle not going back to stocks than going thru this hell. =-_-=

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4 GHz                                                 Case: Fractal Design Define R5                       SSD: Samsung Evo 850 250gb          Monitor:  Benq GL2760        
   GPU: MSI GTX 970 SLI (+140 Core|+400 Mem)               Motherboard: Msi Z97-G5                                 HDD: WD blue 1TB                             CPU Cooler:  Hyper 412s
      RAM: 16GB HyperX DDR3 1600MHz                                PSU: Cooler Master v850                                 Storage: Adata HV610 1TB                  OS: Windows 10           

I have the same problem here ... the first few days with 353.62 everything was fine, then had the frequency stuck at 1113mhz ... at least now I know that does not depend on the card. When I get back from work I try a rollback...

Gtx 970 g1 gaming

My experience from this new driver was bad, w10 on pretty old hardware (c2dgtx660) and after update the coreclock from gpu stayed at 500-700mhz no matter what game/settings and after that geforce experience couldn't launch and i had to re-install drivers, now its working like it was supposed to

Edit: might be the old 500gb hdd's in thst machine, already today suddenly lost few csgo files(hdd's are fucking loud while starting up/doing heavy things:) )

s t u f f

Spoiler

i7-5960x | 32Gb 2400Mhz | Titan Xp | Define R6 | Custom Loop

b7yd9sp2lvn.jpg

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

My cards downclock just fine, so this isn't a universal issue.

Either way it's not really something to be concerned about.  

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

For the record, I've had issues with my 970 downclocking with previous drivers.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I've got the same issue

My clocks idle at 1113/1752 and it's making my idle temp high

How can I resolve this ? I did a fresh install with windows 10 using the latest drivers