Good Offer for Gaming Notebook?

Hello everyone,

I've been looking to get a new main computer for a while now. Since I may be moving around quite a bit, I thought a notebook that packs enough punch for most things would be a good choice. I considered a desktop, but seeing how I don't even own a 1080p monitor yet, I don't really see the value of it (I do own a business laptop already). I don't expect to play 2015 games in 1080p max setting with 60fps, high (or even lower) settings and 40fps is absolutely fine for me.

The Y50 kind of caught my attention, and since I may do some design stuff, some photoshop and so on (all very light) I think a quad core might be the way to go. However, I may be completely and utterly wrong about that - any opinions? Because with a quad core core i7 and good mobile GPU, that thing is pretty much the best deal I could find (also looks great)

I've found an offer for a Lenovo Y50-70 that's been sent back by a customer (aftrer just a few days) for €800, featuring an i7-4710HQ and GTX 860m. For €900, the same model is available with a 960m (and i7-4720HQ)

Is the GPU upgrade worth the hundred bucks? 

I'd also put an SSD in it myself and use the HDD as an external drive. Is the Y50 upgrade friendly?

Thanks, you're a great community, especially for people who are not quite as knowledgable as I'd like to become.

John

It is NOT worth it. The 960M is literally ~50MHz faster than the 860M and it's the same card (GTX 750Ti base card).

If you can find it, I would suggest looking around for a Clevo N155SD though. I am not sure where you are from, though you mentioned Euros. There might be some places that offer it well if you're considering the Y50, and it'll be a pretty good machine.

There's little else in that section that is really "bang for buck".

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Thanks!

I would suggest looking around for a Clevo N155SD

Already did that, but looks like it's not available in Germany. 

You happen to know if changing the HDD will void warranty? I don't want to pay an extra 200 bucks for the SSD, and this way could use the HDD as an external drive.

Thanks!

Already did that, but looks like it's not available in Germany. 

http://www.ceg-hardcorecustom.com/product/ceg_clevo_n150sd

http://www.mysn.de/xmg-advanced-gaming-notebooks/xmg-a505

They might be a little over budget though T_T

Changing things doesn't matter for Clevos, but you'd have to ask about the Lenovos.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

They might be a little over budget though T_T

Yes, that's definitely a bit much. 

Changing things doesn't matter for Clevos, but you'd have to ask about the Lenovos.

I messaged the retailer, and I'll reach out to Lenovo as well. But I guess I'll go for the Y50 anyway, and worst case I'll settle for the SSHD that comes with it for a while.

Thanks a lot!

Yes, that's definitely a bit much. 

I messaged the retailer, and I'll reach out to Lenovo as well. But I guess I'll go for the Y50 anyway, and worst case I'll settle for the SSHD that comes with it for a while.

Thanks a lot!

Yeah, good luck! Sorry about the prices... if you could purchase it in the UK or so, it'd be different. They REALLY stiff you in europe. I'm sorry.

Ah, sorry for coming back, but...

any experience with the Display? Is it really that bad? Because it seems the 960m model also received an IPS panel upgrade, which makes me reconsider.