What SSD should I get?

DarthTrolol0

I'm building my new computer and I'm not sure what ssd I should get. I'm looking for something around the range of 120gb. I want something with super fast reads/writes. Thanks!

#YOLO420SWAGGALAGGIN69

Samsung is always a safe bet, there 840 series and ballin'

Crucial M4 or OCZ Vector are pretty good too

I currently have a Crucial M4, but now I am a firm believer in the Samsung 840 Pro. It is one of the fastest SSD's on the market and because Samsung is such a big company it can manufacture every part of the SSD themselves. No part has to be outsourced which in my opinion really increases the quality control.

The Samsung 840 series is beating everything at the moment. I have the Intel 520 series which is right up there, but I got it before the 840 series hit the market. Also keep in mind: the Samsung 840 comes with a three year warranty, while Intel comes with five.

Core i5 750 | 8GB DDR3 | R9 270X | Intel 520 SSD | ASUS 24" 1920x1080

Samsung 840 Pro is always a safe bet, OCZ Vertex 4 is also lightning quick. For reliability, i would suggest the Crucial M4, despite the recent firmware issues, i've had no problems with mine at all. I haven't updated to the most recent firmware update, as far as i know, the problems aren't as widespread now. :)

getsome 250Gig Crucial M4... way cheaper then some 840Pro ^^

CPU: Intel i7 4790K @4.8GhZ  CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 UD3H  GPU: Asus ROG RX 480 8G OC Memory: 32GB Gskill Ares 2400Mhz  Storage: 2x Crucial M4 512GB SSD (raid0)  / 1TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W  Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB (64 bit) Other: NZXT Hue+ LED Controller with 8 LED Strips for desk and PC lighting

Go for the OCZ Vector,Samsung 840 Pro or Corsair Neutron GTX !

You shouldn't look at an ssd smaller than 120gb.I recommend using it only for the OS.Once you fill up your SSD it gets slower and I bet you wouldn't want that to happen.

If you need 120gigs then get the Vertex 4's they are so cool. They have a 5 year warranty but as linus stated in one of his videos ocz's general situation is bad. However if performance and life is a key then they are the best out there and do mind that they have the highest iops,mtbf and general life.

Linus's Review

Crucial M4 is an excellent value. Reads are up there with the best. If you want super fast writes, however, you probably want to turn to the higher end drives like the Vector or 840 Pro.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

Thanks for the suggestions I ordered the OCZ Vertex 4 and should put it into my new build. Thanks again for all of your help!

#YOLO420SWAGGALAGGIN69

I have the OCZ Vertex 3 in my laptop and I like it a lot. Vertex 4 is completely different though, nevertheless I think you will be very happy with it.

• i5 3570k @ 4.6ghz
  • Gigabyte z77
  • 8gb Corsair Vengeance
  • Galaxy GTX 670 OC
  • 120gb Patriot Pyro SE
  • 2TB WD Green

got the same problem here! thx for the posts. getting the 840pro in a few days.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

If you want fast read/writer then go for the Kingston HyperX 3K or if you REALLY want speed the OSZ RevoDrive 3, but don't, as many people above has suggested, go for the m4. Because it's write speed is only 175~ MB/s compared to the, let's say HyperX's 510.

I also vote for the 840 Pro, and it's what I'll be using in my build. It doesn't do compression on the fly and uses its own controller, so the uncompressible (incompressible?) data is read/written just as fast as the compressible data. It's pretty awesome.

Another vote for the 840 Pro, if I get enough money that's what I'm looking on getting.

• 1 year later...

I'm building my new computer and I'm not sure what ssd I should get. I'm looking for something around the range of 120gb. I want something with super fast reads/writes. Thanks!

I think you should go with Samsung 850pro

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

Best 128GB model is the 850 Pro. And not I'm not player favorites. They managed to loose very little performance from the 256GB compared to others.