Windows 10 Pro From Windows 8.1 Pro

Maihym
Go to solution Solved by Plagueis0622,

So basically it'll turn my Windows 8 product key into a Windows 10 product key?

no you can still use your Windows 8 Key, you will get assigned a Windows 10 Key, but you will have to do a bit of work to see it *see here* http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/418914-w10-key-will-it-just-be-my-81-key-or-will-i-get-a-new-one/page-2#entry5640747. Once you do the upgrade make sure that Windows 10 is activated before you do you clean install. The cd key will be tied to your Microsoft account. If you choose to do a clean install from a ISO when it ask you for the CD Key select the skip option *it will ask you for your key twice* Once the installation is complete and you sign into your Microsoft account Windows 10 will activate. If you are worried about it not activating you can extract your key after you do the first upgrade and enter it once you do the clean install. Keep in mind you have to upgrade and activate Windows 10 first before wiping your computer.

So I want to install Windows 10 Pro on my new computer. I've heard it's better to do a fresh install rather than upgrade. But will my Windows 8.1 Pro key work to activate Windows 10 Pro?

It's not.Just upgrade because you know why?It saves everything you had on 8.1 and just changes stuff like layout and adds some stuff.There is no difference between clean install and upgrade

The only way you can clean install is by buying a key

Insert   Dank   Signature   Here.

So I want to install Windows 10 Pro on my new computer. I've heard it's better to do a fresh install rather than upgrade. But will my Windows 8.1 Pro key work to activate Windows 10 Pro?

It should work fine.

IMO DO NOT UPGRADE YET! Wait a few days if not weeks for the bugs to be resolved, I upgraded yesterday and have had to suffer through bug after bug...

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

you must upgrade so your key gets upgraded (duh)

then u can clean intall.

an upgrade is fine for 85% of users

It's not.Just upgrade because you know why?It saves everything you had on 8.1 and just changes stuff like layout and adds some stuff.There is no difference between clean install and upgrade

"The only way you can clean install is by buying a key"

False,

do you want a quote from Gabe aul xD?

Well this is a new build so clean install wouldn't matter.

False,

Yes

False,

nice spoiler friend.I was about to oreo cookie you

Insert   Dank   Signature   Here.

you can do an upgrade but choose not to keep anything

and then do a disk cleanup afterwards

do the upgrade first..let windows 10 activate....then once its done

you can do a clean install of windows 10 with the 10240 build cd key and have it perfectly activated

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

do the upgrade first..let windows 10 activate....then once its done

you can do a clean install of windows 10 with the 10240 build cd key and have it perfectly activated

no you can still use your Windows 8 Key, you will get assigned a Windows 10 Key, but you will have to do a bit of work to see it *see here* http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/418914-w10-key-will-it-just-be-my-81-key-or-will-i-get-a-new-one/page-2#entry5640747. Once you do the upgrade make sure that Windows 10 is activated before you do you clean install. The cd key will be tied to your Microsoft account. If you choose to do a clean install from a ISO when it ask you for the CD Key select the skip option *it will ask you for your key twice* Once the installation is complete and you sign into your Microsoft account Windows 10 will activate. If you are worried about it not activating you can extract your key after you do the first upgrade and enter it once you do the clean install. Keep in mind you have to upgrade and activate Windows 10 first before wiping your computer.

So I just upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 from 8.1. If you have UEFI, you don't need to do anything, just skip the activation and windows will do it for you automatically. 

So I just upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 from 8.1. If you have UEFI, you don't need to do anything, just skip the activation and windows will do it for you automatically.

I still want to product key in case I switch out my mobo and need to do a clean install or something.

I still want to product key in case I switch out my mobo and need to do a clean install or something.

You don't get one, everyone has the exact same generic key for their version of Windows 10. Currently we don't know how to transfer an upgrade  Windows 10 license from one PC to another but I am sure Microsoft said they won't do it.  

Your Windows 7/8.1 key will work for a new install of Windows 7/8.1 though, that license didn't go away and can be reactivate on another PC

I bet that your Windows 10 key is one of these or has the same ending 5 characters identical to one of these

Here are all generic keys:

Windows 10 Home - YTMG3-N6DKC-DKB77-7M9GH-8HVX7

Windows 10 Home SL- BT79Q-G7N6G-PGBYW-4YWX6-6F4BT

Windows 10 Pro - VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

Windows 10 Pro VL-MAK - QJNXR-7D97Q-K7WH4-RYWQ8-6MT6Y