Chrome "He's dead Jim!" won't stop! (details inside)

ThatAngryGnome

Okay so on my Lenovo Y50 (4710HQ + 8gb RAM), I started getting "He's dead Jim!" screens over and over and over again. I've noticed it happens most when clicking on links (which is a problem for me, the average reddit user). Now I know this error is due to memory/RAM issues and Googling the problem only gives me fixes with sub 2GB RAM machines. This happened really randomly, I don't remeber doing anything that could cause this issue. 

Here's a screenshot of my task manger.   

And here's a screenshot of my extensions.

Things I've tried doing:  

Restarting Chrome

Killing Chrome from the task manger 

Going through my extensions and removing/disabling all of them  

Restarting my PC  

(EDIT) installing the 64 bit version

If I was to quickly open up around 10 new tabs (even if its just a new tab, not any website), about 5 of them will return the "He's dead Jim" error. Its very annoying and has slowed me down a lot for the past few days. 

Nothing's worked so far, and I'm really close to be reinstalling Chrome all togather. But I figured might as well ask here before hassling with that. Can anyone here help me??? If you need some more details for diagnostics, please don't hesitate to ask!  

BTW its Chrome Version 44.0.2403.107 m (64-bit)

BIG EDIT!!!!: Okay so after checking  my Chrome version, I noticed...I'm not running on 64 bit?! IDK how that happened cause I could swear it was 64 bit before, but now it isn't. I'm currently reinstalling Chrome 64bit.  

BIG EDIT #2: Aight I reinstalled Chrome 64bit and I noticed that I'm not getting the error as much, but it is definitely still there. I can easily reproduce the error by hitting "new tab" or "settings" from the options menu. It's very annyoing. If no one else posts a solution, I guess doing a clean reinstall will be my last option.  

Try resetting Chrome?

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

Switch to Firefox and profit.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Okay so on my Lenovo Y50 (4710HQ + 8gb RAM), I started getting "He's dead Jim!" screens over and over and over again. I've noticed it happens most when clicking on links (which is a problem for me, the average reddit user). Now I know this error is due to memory/RAM issues and Googling the problem only gives me fixes with sub 2GB RAM machines. This happened really randomly, I don't remeber doing anything that could cause this issue. 

Things I've tried doing:  

Restarting Chrome

Restarting my PC  

If I was to quickly open up around 10 new tabs (even if its just a new tab, not any website), about 5 of them will return the "He's dead Jim" error. Its very annoying and has slowed me down a lot for the past few days. 

Nothing's worked so far, and I'm really close to be reinstalling Chrome all togather. But I figured might as well ask here before hassling with that. Can anyone here help me??? If you need some more details for diagnostics, please don't hesitate to ask!

Chrome stopped working for me all out. It won't even open and I've tried practically everything, from reinstalling to downloading it from multiple different sources. Now I have to use internet explorer...

What chrome version are you using? I have this problem right now too. Only started when i updated to v44 which also switched me to 64bit chrome.

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Things I've tried doing:  

Restarting Chrome

Restarting my PC  

a newer version of chrome may resolve your problem. Try chrome beta or chrome canary.

I suspect your computer just doesn't have enough ram and can't start making a paging file in the hdd fast enough; causing the crash.

That happened with my old i5 build.  Turns out there was something missing from windows.  Cuz when I reinstalled the OS it worked.  <.<

Lucky bastard. My computer is a premade...

Chromes better.

In what way?

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

In what way?

i feel like chrome has a better ecosystem of extensions 

Get uBlock Origin, It works alot better and is more efficient on CPU and RAM usage 

Desktop  - AMD Phenom II X4 955 - 12gb Hyper X DDR3 - NZXT Tempest - Asus M4A78DTX EVO - Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti - 160gb Toshiba garbage - 1tb WD garbage

Laptop - HP Pavilion G7-2269wm - AMD A8-4500M - 6gb DDR3 - 320 gig Western Digital Scorpio drive - AMD HD 7640G graphics - 17.3 inch display

Server - x2 Xeon f41 2.80GHz - 4gb DDR ECC Reg - Intel Serverboard SE7320GP2 - ATI Rage 128 8mb - 120gb Seagate boot - 640 gb Network share

Switch to Firefox and profit.

I like Chrome more, and I've used Firefox a lot but have never had the incentive to switch. Keep the discussion to Chrome please.

a newer version of chrome may resolve your problem. Try chrome beta or chrome canary.

I suspect your computer just doesn't have enough ram and can't start making a paging file in the hdd fast enough; causing the crash.

Okay so I forgot to mention this, I have a 512GB SSD. I really doubt Chrome is having any issues with my hardware (since its more than enough). Also I've been using this machine for over a year but this started just a few days ago.

Lucky bastard. My computer is a premade...

Sorry brother, hopefully one day you'll be allowed to build your own. Its really fun!

What chrome version are you using? I have this problem right now too. Only started when i updated to v44 which also switched me to 64bit chrome.

Its V44.2403. I can't tell if its 64 or 32 bit, but that could be the problem.

Lol for what I do mostly FX and i7 are the only way.   :D  But, ya could try reddit keys?

I'd have to download it, and my internet sucks complete ass. Also, saving money to actually build my own computer, so yay! :lol:

Try resetting Chrome?

How would you do that? Is it the "reset to default settings?"

Things I've tried doing:  

Restarting Chrome

Restarting my PC  

Don't worry many users are also experiencing this. Until google fixes it, re-installing won't help either as users are also suffering from it even after installing again. Swap to firefox for the mean time

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

In almost every important way except ram consumption:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RLuPHl04Sc

In what way?

I have used edge, but the ecosytem isnt there

Once you get hooked on googles ecosystem, its hard to leave, it works really well.

and on the chrome dev version updates comes quickly and bugs get fixed quickly.

Other then the ram issue, which they said there slowly working on, its #1

I recomnd trying chrome beta or chrome dev, see if taht fixes

Don't worry many users are also experiencing this. Until google fixes it, re-installing won't help either as users are also suffering from it even after installing again. Swap to firefox for the mean time

Thing is, this has only started happening just a few days ago. Before that it was very occasional. Now its like almost every new tab I open.

Thing is, this has only started happening just a few days ago. Before that it was very occasional. Now its like almost every new tab I open.

For me it was all at once.

Same thing was happening to me with 10GB of RAM... reinstalled Chrome and issue went away

"Rawr XD"

Firefox has/had better and more useful extensions.Most of them are ported to Chrome nowadays though.

Its default tools for web devs are powerful, not to mention they have their Developer browser if that's your thing.

Chrome is faster in benchmarks, but you won't really notice the difference.

The most important and biggest thing : Firefox is OPEN-SOURCE.

That's the awesomesauce.

Now, on topic, it seems you'll just have to wait for an update from Google.

Have you tried reinstalling?

I have used edge, but the ecosytem isnt there

Once you get hooked on googles ecosystem, its hard to leave, it works really well.

and on the chrome dev version updates comes quickly and bugs get fixed quickly.

Other then the ram issue, which they said there slowly working on, its #1

I recomnd trying chrome beta or chrome dev, see if taht fixes

If nothing else works, I'll look at Chrome Beta