Laptop for College Help

Stigs

Now I know I've posted a metric butt load of topics about help finding a gaming laptop for college.  I have taken people's suggestions and done some research on my own and simply couldn't find the "perfect" laptop.  A lot of people have told me with my kind of budget ($2500), I should get a good laptop ($1000-$1500) that's simply for school work and spend the rest of my budget on a gaming desktop or whatnot. I have a gaming desktop, but I'm not going to be able to bring it with me (at least for the first semester or so).  I'm okay with a laptop now that has a 960m in it because I can still game a bit, but I'll have the battery life I'll need for class.  If anything, I may end up buying a PS4 or something to take with me to play as well. However, I still wish to game a bit on my laptop because I am primarily a PC gamer.  I looked at laptops like the ASUS G501, but the video Linus posted didn't make it sound too good. Any suggestions of similar laptops would be a great help. I'm sorry for all the posts.

TL:DR;  Does anyone have any recommendations for a laptop with an i7 (quad core), 16gb RAM, gtx 960m, minimum of 500gb hard drive and a decent battery life (4+ hours for school work)?

I would recommend the razer blade. Look at linus review on it and see if you like it. But people are right you need to do it on ur own to find "the one"

Join da discord 

Spoiler

(Intel Core i5 4590 - XFX R9 280 - ASUS z97-A USB 3.1 - EVGA SuperNOVA 750B - 16GB EVGA DDR3-EDITION - NZXT H440 -

WD BLACK 1TB - OZC ARC 100 240gb)

#locked(ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง

Razer Blade 14. It's as close to perfect as it gets at the moment IMO

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

its not a 500GB HDD its a 250 GB SSD witch is better then you can save up for a high capacity one.

Join da discord 

Spoiler

(Intel Core i5 4590 - XFX R9 280 - ASUS z97-A USB 3.1 - EVGA SuperNOVA 750B - 16GB EVGA DDR3-EDITION - NZXT H440 -

#locked(ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง

Razer blade 14 if you want something a bit more fancy and sturdy (like a macbook)

Or look through gaming laptops that have an ips screen and have a 970m or better. You can run gamees really well on the 970m and the 980m.

My fiancee was considering a gaming laptop recently but opted for a desktop & tablet for college

razer blade (bit pricey but really premium), or the new asus g501 are probably pretty good bets.

One problem is that my blade only gets 4+ hours of battery life if im doing very light usage, like not even chrome. not sure about the 2015 model, but doubt its any better.

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

I would recommend the razer blade. Look at linus review on it and see if you like it. But people are right you need to do it on ur own to find "the one"

I love the blade, I'm just concerned that 256gb (the only model I can afford) will be enough storage...

I love the blade, I'm just concerned that 256gb (the only model I can afford) will be enough storage...

thats the issue with the blade, because unlike the aorus, it only accepts a single msata, and if you replace it yourself, its not like you can just plop the old msata drive in your desktop or anything.

You are likely better off putting your data intensive stuff like games and moves on an external hdd (you likely wont need it all the time). 250gb is more than enough for the os and programs (i have 40gb free on a 120gb ssd with quite a few programs)

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

thats the issue with the blade, because unlike the aorus, it only accepts a single msata, and if you replace it yourself, its not like you can just plop the old msata drive in your desktop or anything.

You are likely better off putting your data intensive stuff like games and moves on an external hdd (you likely wont need it all the time). 250gb is mroe than enough for the os and program (i have 40gb free on a 120gb ssd with quite a few programs)

Ok. I'll take this into consideration. Thanks!

Get the Blade then save for a new SSD in the future they only come around $150 for a 500GB one.

Join da discord 

Spoiler

#locked(ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง

Get the Blade then save for a new SSD in the future they only come around $150 for a 500GB one.

It's an option, but I'd rather not need to upgrade so soon after I get the laptop.  Technically, I could by the 512gb version of the blade, but I don't see the point of spending the extra $200. I'd rather stick to my $2500 budget.

It's an option, but I'd rather not need to upgrade so soon after I get the laptop.  Technically, I could by the 512gb version of the blade, but I don't see the point of spending the extra $200. I'd rather stick to my $2500 budget

If you are doing just word documents and a few games 250 GB should be good for now. Buy an external 1tb and you will be fine

Join da discord 

Spoiler

#locked(ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง

If you are doing just word documents and a few games 250 GB should be good for now. Buy an external 1tb and you will be fine

ok. I'll be putting microsoft office, chrome, itunes, spotify and a few games on it for now.  Other apps or games or whatnot will be later.

ok. I'll be putting microsoft office, chrome, itunes, spotify and a few games on it for now.  Other apps or games or whatnot will be later.

Ok. 250 GB should be fine for that put most games and documents in your external

Join da discord 

Spoiler

#locked(ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง

snip

There's the Clevo P650SE. Comes with a 970M, a 15.6" full HD IPS panel (still roughly depends on the Clevo reseller you would be getting from), 3 cooling fans, runs quiet (when not playing games, like you're in class), 4 RAM slots, 2 M.2 SSD slots and 2 SATA slots which can be set up in RAID, about 2.5kg and 25mm thick. I have the 980M variant (P650SG) and I love it. I bring it to school everyday.

http://www.sagernote...p?productid=755

You can get it from like 1444 USD with a full HD IPS panel.

EDIT: This has about 4 hours of battery life from my experience while in class in like high performance mode, your mileage may vary.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

I've looked at this. I can't find anywhere else claiming 4 hours of battery life in a light productivity (class room) setting.

I've looked at this. I can't find anywhere else claiming 4 hours of battery life in a light productivity (class room) setting.

This is from my experience using it daily.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

This is from my experience using it daily.

I get that.  Just trying to see if it's consistent for the laptop.

Ok. 250 GB should be fine for that put most games and documents in your external

I think I'm going to get the full hd version of the 2015 blade (256gb sdd, 8gb of RAM) and get an external hdd for other storage like you said.

I think I'm going to get the full hd version of the 2015 blade (256gb sdd, 8gb of RAM) and get an external hdd for other storage like you said.

Good choice :) tell me how it goes

Join da discord 

Spoiler

#locked(ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง

Good choice :) tell me how it goes

Will do. It's on backorder though, so I have to wait a while. Thanks for everything!

Will do. It's on backorder though, so I have to wait a while. Thanks for everything!

Razer is or the distributor?

Join da discord 

Spoiler

#locked(ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง

Razer is or the distributor?

the 1080p model is only available directly from Razer, so yeah Razer themselves is on back order.  Every blade 14 is on back order right now

the 1080p model is only available directly from Razer, so yeah Razer themselves is on back order.  Every blade 14 is on back order right now

oh eww but i assume college is only like a month away that should be enough time.

Join da discord 

Spoiler

#locked(ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง

oh eww but i assume college is only like a month away that should be enough time.

yeah. I leave around the 22nd, so I should be okay.