Keyboards

iWearKiltz
Go to solution Solved by bchampion96,

Thanks for the suggestion, looked at that, it's like a good quality barebones mech keyboard. Lacks the functionality of media keys and macro (though not massively fussed about these) along with maybe some pretty back lighting

http://compare.ebay.com/like/300916056170?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Boom

*edit* sorry it's an ebay link. first place i found it :P

So I know people always bang on about mechanical keyboards, and I've yet to try one (though I know I'll be choosing cherry MX browns), but honestly, for media and gaming, I see more functionality with membrane keyboards (the rubber dome ones, like the roccat isku or the Microsoft sidewinder series), and they're a hell of a lot cheaper.

So based on your opinion, with not just gaming use in mind, what should I be choosing, a dome keyboard, or a mechanical one that costs twice as much?

Spoiler

Gaming/Engineering PC: -i7 6700K, 4-4.2GHz "Eleanor" -ASUS ROG HERO VIII MOBO -16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair (2x8GB) -Gigabyte Windforce 980Ti OC edition (1405MHz GPU clock) -H110i GT Corsair CPU Water cooler -980GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD -Corsair 450D ATX Case -RM850i Corsair PSU (Modular) -28” 4K Samsung -27” 1080p Samsung 

If you type a lot, mech is the way to go. And for gaming its more of a preference thing for me

ACS Systems - Jason Neal

My "Danger Den" PC: i7-4960x @ 4.5Ghz, ASUS X79 Deluxe, 3x GTX Titan Black, 6x m4 512GB, 64GB Corsair DDR3-2400, Corsair AX1500i

Black Beauty Workstation/LAN PC: i5-4570 @ 3.79 GHz, ASRock Z87E-ITX, XFX Double D R9-280 (Non-X), GSkill 8GB DDR3-2400

So for functionality, you mean being able to skip, pause, and stop songs?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

So for functionality, you mean being able to skip, pause, and stop songs?

Yeah so media buttons, but none of them being derpy two button press ones, like fn+f7 or anything like that.

Dedicated Media buttons basically

Spoiler

Gaming/Engineering PC: -i7 6700K, 4-4.2GHz "Eleanor" -ASUS ROG HERO VIII MOBO -16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair (2x8GB) -Gigabyte Windforce 980Ti OC edition (1405MHz GPU clock) -H110i GT Corsair CPU Water cooler -980GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD -Corsair 450D ATX Case -RM850i Corsair PSU (Modular) -28” 4K Samsung -27” 1080p Samsung 

I don't see the big deal about hitting so-and-so key plus so-and-so key. It's not hard to do it, and takes half a second.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

I don't see the big deal about hitting so-and-so key plus so-and-so key. It's not hard to do it, and takes half a second.

Its not functional to have your hand or two hands stretching across the keyboard mid game. I have media keys bound to my mouse, but the functional whore I am, I want them on my next keyboard too.

I'm asking for peoples recommendations based on my requirements, so if you're going to just complain about how I live my own life, please stop lol.

Anyways, mech or dome? And whatcha recommend?

Spoiler

Its not functional to have your hand or two hands stretching across the keyboard mid game. I have media keys bound to my mouse, but the functional whore I am, I want them on my next keyboard too. I'm asking for peoples recommendations based on my requirements, so if you're going to just complain about how I live my own life, please stop lol. Anyways, mech or dome? And whatcha recommend?

Mech. They are better in every sense. Minus the price ofc. So that's why I always recommend my CM Storm Quickfire Rapid.

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

Ducky 1087 is 33 dollars. That's cheap. Last's longer and is mechanical. Azio levetron clicker is 30. Monoprice keyboard is 48 dollars. They're cheap, bruh. 

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife 

Ducky 1087 is 33 dollars. That's cheap. Last's longer and is mechanical. Azio levetron clicker is 30. Monoprice keyboard is 48 dollars. They're cheap, bruh. 

So cheap they'd probably break in two days. Nice suggestions, but if I'm to buy a mech keyboard, it'll have to be a good quality one. Don't want it breaking straight after purchasing lol!

Spoiler

If you don't mind pricing, the CM Storm Trigger. Or if you don't like the number pad, Quickfire Rapid that @bchampion96 had suggested.

Mech. They are better in every sense. Minus the price ofc. So that's why I always recommend my CM Storm Quickfire Rapid.

Thanks for the suggestion, looked at that, it's like a good quality barebones mech keyboard. Lacks the functionality of media keys and macro (though not massively fussed about these) along with maybe some pretty back lighting

Spoiler

If you don't mind pricing, the CM Storm Trigger. Or if you don't like the number pad, Quickfire Rapid that @bchampion96 had suggested.

Not gonna lie, I might slightly be feeling the beginnings of me becoming a CM Storm fanboy D:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/300916056170?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Boom

Edited by bchampion96

Lacks the functionality that I've said to @bchampion96

Spoiler

Boom

No problem. Found it easily enough on amazon. And man oh man. I like this keyboard! You deserve a medal and to be treated to some cookies and milk! Thanks for the suggestion :-)

Spoiler

No problem. Found it easily enough on amazon. And man oh man. I like this keyboard! You deserve a medal and to be treated to some cookies and milk! Thanks for the suggestion :-)

http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g710plus-mechanical-gaming-keyboard

Just the logitech site link for others. Best answer me then :P *sips milk* *noms cookie*

http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g710plus-mechanical-gaming-keyboard

Just the logitech site link for others. Best answer me then :P *sips milk* *noms cookie*

Using an app on my tablet, otherwise I would of course :-)

Will do this when I get on my of in the morning (I'm gmt timezone)

Spoiler

Using an app on my tablet, otherwise I would of course :-) Will do this when I get on my of in the morning (I'm gmt timezone)

Is it still hot in england? I've gone to america and got sunburned -.- I crave some good old rain :P

Is it still hot in england? I've gone to america and got sunburned -.- I crave some good old rain :P

On and off. Been raining a lot lately with local flooding, but apparently 29-30c Thursday and Friday!

Spoiler

You can also check out the Corsair K70 which is coming out with a MX Brown version soon. I hope you enjoy your new keyboard. :)

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

So I know people always bang on about mechanical keyboards, and I've yet to try one (though I know I'll be choosing cherry MX browns), but honestly, for media and gaming, I see more functionality with membrane keyboards (the rubber dome ones, like the roccat isku or the Microsoft sidewinder series), and they're a hell of a lot cheaper. So based on your opinion, with not just gaming use in mind, what should I be choosing, a dome keyboard, or a mechanical one that costs twice as much?

They are better for your hands in the long run, they require less force than a membrane and are built better.

i5 4670k | Sapphire 7950 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB | G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 8GB

PB238Q | Steelseries Sensei | Ducky DK9087 | Qck Heavy

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/44902-from-imac-to-my-own-creation/