Samsung Note 5 benchmarks surface (Exynos 7420, 4GB of RAM)

Nineshadow

Galaxy-Note-5-benchmark-geekbench-leak.j

As we get closer to the release of the Samsung Galaxy Note 5, so does the rate at which related leaks and intel intensify. We're no stranger to this phenomenon, and the closer we get to the big date, the meatier the leaks will get. Case in point: a tip was just sent in, drawing our attention to the existence of a recent Note 5 pass through the Geekbench test suite.

Recorded on July 23, the traces from the pass indicate that the specific version of the Note 5 is the one bound for Verizon Wireless' network: SM-N920V. The model is also revealed to be packing an octa-core, 64-bit Exynos 7420 processor, along with 4 gigs of RAM. The only other two details worth pointing out are the fact that the device in question ran on Android 5.1.1 Lollipop, and achieved benchmark scores compare to those managed by the Samsung Galaxy S6: 1418 (Single-Core) and 4399 (Multi-Core) points.

In addition to today's find, we've been getting some pretty interesting intel lately. Just earlier today, we were again told to expect the Note 5 to be announced before August is out, and yesterday we got ourselves our first look at supposedly working Galaxy Note 5. You can refer to our comprehensive rumor round-up to catch up, but to summarize, the Note 5 is expected to come with best-of-the-best in terms of hardware, and design language closely adhering to the philosophy introduced with the Galaxy S6 (so metal and glass). Whether all of this pans out remains to be seen, though at this point it seems unlikely that the rumor mill is wrong simply due to the volume of related leaks being made available daily. But hey, one can never know, so sit tight!

SOURCE , via PhoneArena
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

formatting

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

"In addition to today's find, we've been getting some pretty interesting intel lately." I just can't help but find this kinda funny since this is a CPU oriented subject. Oh the puns :P

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

"1 processor, 8 cores"

Oh I really hope this is still big.LITTLE, there's no reason a mobile phone should have that many cores otherwise.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Eh. I like their design and stuff, and the rest of the leaks sound awesome, but their Duos phones always lack proper bands for me. It's unfortunate.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Is Samsung incapable of producing a chip faster than the 7420? The Note series is generally bigger and is probably able to dissipate slightly more heat so they can fit in a faster chip. Or are they doing this because Apple does the same with the 6 and 6 plus?

Tell me, why does the Apple A8, which is clocked at 1.4GHz, outperform the Exynos 7420 in single-core performance while the latter is clocked 0.1GHz higher?

And why does a tri-core A8X at the same clock speed outperform an 8-core Exynos 7420? Hell, the A8X smokes the 7420 at the same clock speed in terms of single-core performance yet both the A8 and A8X are a generation behind on the 7420. What am I missing?

Ye ole' train

Tell me, why does the Apple A8, which is clocked at 1.4GHz, outperform the Exynos 7420 in single-core performance while the latter is clocked 0.1GHz higher?

And why does a tri-core A8X at the same clock speed outperform an 8-core Exynos 7420? Hell, the A8X smokes the 7420 at the same clock speed in terms of single-core performance yet both the A8 and A8X are a generation behind on the 7420. What am I missing?

My guess goes to optimizing the hardware/software for each other and control of background processes, apple is known for doing a good job on that, not sure how samsung ot's reputation goes for that.

But it can cause quite a big diffrence in performance.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Obviously it's much easier to optimize one SoC to work amazing on one device, not like Android that has hundreds of different devices and SoC's. 

I don't always have time to study, but when I do, I don't.

It doesn't use 8 cores in those benchmarks. The Exyones 7420 uses BIG.little. It has 4 powerful cores and 4 slower, power-efficient ones (ARM Cortex-A57+ and ARM Cortex-A53).

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Because MHz is a useless metric when you are comparing different architectures. It's mind blowing that people still don't understand this. It seems like it's common sense for desktops (Nobody says AMD is better than Intel because it runs at a higher MHz) but when it comes to phones people just defaults back to "more MHz must be better!".

Because... it doesn't? I'll be using Geekbench for this. These numbers are the average of the top 10 iPad Air 2 (A8X) and Galaxy S6, the global G920F version (Exynos 7420)

Single core:

A8X - 1816

7420 - 1514

Multi-core:

A8X - 4652

7420 - 5592

Here are the iPad's I used:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Here are the Galaxy S6s I used:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

As you can see, the A8X is about 20% faster in single core, but the 7420 is 20% faster in multicore.

Some things you have to keep in mind:

Four of the 8 cores in the 7420 are very small and low performance cores. You can't really say "a tri-core is almost as fast as an 8 core" because that doesn't tell the whole story. It's four low performance and four high performance. Not 8 high performance.

The A8X has a much higher thermal threshold since it's in a much larger device (tablet vs phone). That matters a lot for mobile device performance (as we can see in Snapdragon 810 phones).

The A8X is not 1 generation behind. At most you can call it 1/2 generation behind, but that's because Samsung and Apple don't release their things at the same time of the year. The A8X was out late 2014 and the 7420 was out early 2015.