Modding GPU

paradoxmatthew

Ok guys I need some help, I have two gigabyte g1 gtx 970s and I wanna mod them, I want to paint the backplates bright red and the fan cover too

746de031bac263e241f16c5c1beb369c.jpg593906a86480f956c940470bc38a4ccf.jpg

How should I go about this, it's my first mod

CPU i7 4790K @4.8GHz | Motherboard ASUS HERO VII Z97 | Cooler Corsair H110i GT | GPU Gigabyte G1Gaming GTX 970 SLI | PSU Corsair HX750i

RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 1866MHz | HDD Western Digital Red 1TB | SSD HyperX Savage | Case NZXT Noctis 450 OS Windows 8.1

Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB Mouse Corsair Sabre Laser RGB | Headset Corsair H2100 Wireless 7.1

That will be a bit overdone IMO.

What do you mean

CPU i7 4790K @4.8GHz | Motherboard ASUS HERO VII Z97 | Cooler Corsair H110i GT | GPU Gigabyte G1Gaming GTX 970 SLI | PSU Corsair HX750i

RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 1866MHz | HDD Western Digital Red 1TB | SSD HyperX Savage | Case NZXT Noctis 450 OS Windows 8.1

Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB Mouse Corsair Sabre Laser RGB | Headset Corsair H2100 Wireless 7.1

Yup, use plastidip so you can revert back to stock easily if it doesn't look great.

Just unscrew the bits you want to paint.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

Yup, use plastidip so you can revert back to stock easily if it doesn't look great.

How do I revert it?

Unscrew the screws, remove the parts you want to paint and plasti dip them.

You should really avoid plasti-dipping components that deal with heat, as plasti-dip can insulate components.

I'd really suggest something that goes on super thin, and can still conduct heat effectively like a vinyl based paint. You can find it at auto-shops or general supply stores.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

What do you mean

If you paint the whole card bright red it will be too much, something like on gigabyte 980ti would look better IMO, unless you are going for hot-rod look or something :)

If you paint the whole card bright red it will be too much, something like on gigabyte 980ti would look better IMO, unless you are going for hot-rod look or something :)

I'm trying to have more red in my red and black computer theme

I'm trying to have more red in my red and black computer theme

maybe try some pattern on backplate and change LEDs to red.

I would just paint the plastic part with the wind force logo, should save you the hassle and it would be the part that you will see the most of anyway.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

I would just paint the plastic part with the wind force logo, should save you the hassle and it would be the part that you will see the most of anyway.

I also see the backplate heavily

How do I revert it?

You should really avoid plasti-dipping components that deal with heat, as plasti-dip can insulate components.

I'd really suggest something that goes on super thin, and can still conduct heat effectively like a vinyl based paint. You can find it at auto-shops or general supply stores.

Plastidip pulls off just like a vinyl sticker would, as long as you put down enough material. Basically youtube dip your car and follow Fonzi's steps and guides. Its all the same, car, computer, whatever. Plastidip is plastidip, and its amazing!

And as far as it being an insulator, anything you spray onto it will be an insulator. But, it doesn't matter. You may, and i mean seriously "just maybe possibly" will run 1 c warmer, but probably not. It will run within the variance of the temp reader. The aesthetic parts of the card lead to basically negligible amounts of cooling, back plate included. Plus, neweggtv did a test and they legit plastidipped an entire heatsink once, fins and all. They said it only went up a few degrees c, and that was dipping directly onto the fins lol. You will be fine as long as you don't go and try and dip the heatsink, and even then you will probably still be fine as 970's are not exactly the hottest cards out there, although no, I do not at all recommend dipping the heatsink itself.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

Have you ever seen a backplate completely covered with red paint? It looks horrible :D Just use some accents on it, it would look way better :)

Hmm ok, so I would just blue tape everything expect near the windforce logo?

Plastidip pulls off just like a vinyl sticker would, as long as you put down enough material. Basically youtube dip your car and follow Fonzi's steps and guides. Its all the same, car, computer, whatever. Plastidip is plastidip, and its amazing!

And as far as it being an insulator, anything you spray onto it will be an insulator. But, it doesn't matter. You may, and i mean seriously "just maybe possibly" will run 1 c warmer, but probably not. It will run within the variance of the temp reader. The aesthetic parts of the card lead to basically negligible amounts of cooling, back plate included. Plus, neweggtv did a test and they legit plastidipped an entire heatsink once, fins and all. They said it only went up a few degrees c, and that was dipping directly onto the fins lol. You will be fine as long as you don't go and try and dip the heatsink, and even then you will probably still be fine as 970's are not exactly the hottest cards out there, although no, I do not at all recommend dipping the heatsink itself.

Plasti-dip also tends to cover over any texture on the material you paint over. Vinyl paints go on in such think layers (as long as you know what you're doing) that you can retain pretty much any texture. Plasti-dip is definitely a more new comer friendly paint to start with if you want to mod and repaint stuff, since you can remove it if you mess up, but it tends to go on thicker, and can be a bit difficult to rely so heavily on a clear coat for gloss. 

And alright, i can accept that in this instance, insulation will probably change nothing. It's just something to keep in mind, I've seen people try to plasti-dip their heatsinks, just please.... never do that... there's a reason that even LTT who pretty much only uses plasti-dip used for one time only a stove paint to paint their heatsink.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

I also see the backplate heavily

Isn't black one of the main colors of your set up? I'd say try painting that first and if you don't like it then paint the rest.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Plasti-dip also tends to cover over any texture on the material you paint over. Vinyl paints go on in such think layers (as long as you know what you're doing) that you can retain pretty much any texture. Plasti-dip is definitely a more new comer friendly paint to start with if you want to mod and repaint stuff, since you can remove it if you mess up, but it tends to go on thicker, and can be a bit difficult to rely so heavily on a clear coat for gloss. 

And alright, i can accept that in this instance, insulation will probably change nothing. It's just something to keep in mind, I've seen people try to plasti-dip their heatsinks, just please.... never do that... there's a reason that even LTT who pretty much only uses plasti-dip used for one time only a stove paint to paint their heatsink.

Yea, its very easy to use for someone who isn't used to painting, but practice helps a lot. The first few things I dipped on my car came out meh, these days I can paint anything with dip and it looks pretty damn professional. The components of my build (besides corsair fan rings) where dipped, and they look damn good.

Also, don't clear coat over dip, any paint ontop of it makes it really hard to get off. If you want to do clear coat or anything, look into the clear coats plastidip makes, dip on dip = more dip = easier to pull off later :)

I just looked up red backplates, wow that's ugly

I just looked up red backplates, wow that's ugly

Here I would suggest to plasti-dip the shroud and the backplate only but you will need to remove them from the card to spray it, however don't spray the fans with plasti-dip, I have a write up on this under the Modding FAQ under the Painting Section that goes over Plasti-Dip in depth:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/407754-modding-faq-common-mods/

Am looking to mod some G1's as well but its only going to be a slight red boarder and a small decal on the back plate