What's the best laptop for $1000?

ANewFace

Ok just scratched the Asus laptop that I just made a post about off the list because the screen was crap, so now I need your help. What's the best laptop for around $1000? (And with my rules that means $900~-$1100~) Also if there I something for less then that that I can upgrade to pretty much what I want then that's fine.

What I would like

I would like a pretty decent i7, but a high end i5 would work

8GB+ of RAM is a must, unless there is something good that really cheep that I can upgrade to 8GB. Upgrade room on an 8GB laptop would be nice, but not required.

1920x1080p or better screen required. I would like 14in or more. Im totally fine with 15in or 17in doesn't matter.

500GB+ SSD I would like, but if there is something with upgrade room to go to 500gb that's fine. I would prefer not to have an HDD but I could live with one on top of the SSD.

Dedicated GPU is a must

Decent port layout. Would like 4 USB 3, and an SD card reader. But the more ports the better.

That is what I would like? Whats a good laptop for this price, or a good one I can upgrade.

My Rig:  CPU: Core i7 4790K @4.8ghz  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  Ram: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz (Red)  Cooling: Corsair H105, 2x Corsair SP120 High Preformance Editions, Corsair AF 140 Quiet Edition  PSU: Corsair RM 850  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB  Case Corsair 760t (Black)  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma  Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma  Headset: ATH-M50X Mic: Blue Yeti Blackout

Y50

Or eurocom m5?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I know it doesnt work for everybody but man, when I see $1000 being dropped on a Laptop I'm like "Just get an SFF PC".

I know it doesnt work for everybody but man, when I see $1000 being dropped on a Laptop I'm like "Just get an SFF PC".

I want it for school, not everything is about gaming. Believe me I am good on a gaming PC.

My Rig:  CPU: Core i7 4790K @4.8ghz  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  Ram: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz (Red)  Cooling: Corsair H105, 2x Corsair SP120 High Preformance Editions, Corsair AF 140 Quiet Edition  PSU: Corsair RM 850  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB  Case Corsair 760t (Black)  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma  Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma  Headset: ATH-M50X Mic: Blue Yeti Blackout

Y50

Or eurocom m5?

Y50 has no SSD

I want it for school, not everything is about gaming. Believe me I am good on a gaming PC.

Oh, ok. Have you considered a Macbook? When it comes to laptops I like these. They come with alot of software so it would be good for school. They include all of the specifications depending on the model.The downfall of them is that they cant be upgraded and the lack of ports. GPU aswell, but if it is for school, meh.

Oh, ok. Have you considered a Macbook? When it comes to laptops I like these. They come with alot of software so it would be good for school. They include all of the specifications depending on the model.The downfall of them is that they cant be upgraded and the lack of ports.

.............nuff said

Y50 has no SSD

put it in yourself 

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

put it in yourself 

But it's at the top of my budget

Y50 has no SSD

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TI6TASK/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00TI6TASK&linkCode=as2&tag=hardwarevol03-20 Alright. it should be $999 if it's not I think you need prime but you can start a free trial. You can add a mSata SSD according to the questions and have a 1tb mechanical drive or replace it with a SSD. Otherwise it's just about everything you asked for. It's only 6.6pounds which I find to seem pretty good for a 17inch display.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TI6TASK/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00TI6TASK&linkCode=as2&tag=hardwarevol03-20 Alright. it should be $999 if it's not I think you need prime but you can start a free trial. You can add a mSata SSD according to the questions and have a 1tb mechanical drive or replace it with a SSD. Otherwise it's just about everything you asked for. It's only 6.6pounds which I find to seem pretty good for a 17inch display.

I have prime, I might do this. Best option so far

Oh, ok. Have you considered a Macbook? When it comes to laptops I like these. They come with alot of software so it would be good for school. They include all of the specifications depending on the model.The downfall of them is that they cant be upgraded and the lack of ports. GPU aswell, but if it is for school, meh.

Macbook lmao

If i were to get any macbook id get a 2012 15 inch cause it acually is upgradable.

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

http://www.amazon.com/GE62-15-6-inch-i7-5700HQ-7200rpm-Computer/dp/B00YFE5OCQ

Best options in the range imho, although really you could get an 900 dollar range Asus or Msi or Lenovo (which isn't bad but they don't scale well beyond say 1000, and the y50 is goreous) and toss in a 256-500 GB ssd yourself for significant cost savings.

In that price range you should be looking for a 960m or better, a 4720HQ or better etc.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Macbook lmao

If i were to get any macbook id get a 2012 15 inch cause it acually is upgradable.

If it is for school why would you need to upgrade? Do you really need 16 gbs of RAM for this? No. It comes with alot of useful software. If you really look at the Macbook all biases aside and don't think it is a viable option (given the circumstances) you are an idiot. The Apple hate is real.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

If it is for school why would you need to upgrade? Do you really need 16 gbs of RAM for this? No. It comes with alot of useful software. If you really look at the Macbook all biases aside and don't think it is a viable option (given the circumstances) you are an idiot. The Apple hate is real.

I take programming courses for SCHOOL and i would need to run a windows VM so ya id need more RAM

My thinkpad has 24GB of the stuff dual channel

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

All Biases aside, the included software is shit, the performance per dollar is shit, and the university ecosystem for coding relies almost exclusively on Windows and Linux (which while the unix capabilities of mac is ok, it's still not often sufficient or convenient). And that isn't even accounting for its total non-usability with so much as a flash drive unless you buy insanely overpriced adapters.

Literally it is one of the worse possible choices out there.

And before you come at me with Apple hate, I exclusively use osX on a mac mini at work because of unix requirements, but that doesn't make it good.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

I take programming courses for SCHOOL and i would need to run a windows VM so ya id need more RAM

My thinkpad has 24GB of the stuff dual channel

Because the average user will be taking programming classes. Try thinking before you talk.

All Biases aside, the included software is shit, the performance per dollar is shit, and the university ecosystem for coding relies almost exclusively on Windows and Linux (which while the unix capabilities of mac is ok, it's still not often sufficient or convenient). And that isn't even accounting for its total non-usability with so much as a flash drive unless you buy insanely overpriced adapters.

Literally it is one of the worse possible choices out there.

And before you come at me with Apple hate, I exclusively use osX on a mac mini at work because of unix requirements, but that doesn't make it good.

If my suggestion falls within almost all the parameters of what he wants in a laptop, tell me how in hell it is NOT considered a good and viable choice. Oh, and by the way, I could pick out many, many statements in your little rant that are pure bias and opinion.

Who said anything about coding? You cant infer anything that he is using this for, only "school". For the average user this is a fine choice, you just cant seem to get over that fact. If my suggestion falls within almost all the parameters of what he wants in a laptop, tell me how in hell it is NOT considered a good and viable choice.

It has literally two.

It doesn't have any sort of port layout (specifically mentioned)

It doesn't have dedicated graphics.

It doesn't even start within the cost range. (even with Education Pricing it starts at 1099.99)

It doesn't have any sort of decent cpu (core m really?)

It is a terrible choice for almost any user, and YOU need to get over the FACT that apple does NOT offer cost competitive products at any price range.

His requirements

I would like a pretty decent i7, but a high end i5 would work NOPE

8GB+ of RAM is a must, unless there is something good that really cheep that I can upgrade to 8GB.  Upgrade room on an 8GB laptop would be nice, but not required. YES on 8gb NO on upgrade

1920x1080p or better screen required. I would like 14in or more. Im totally fine with 15in or 17in doesn't matter. HAS 1440p but LESS THAN 14 in.

500GB+ SSD I would like, but if there is something with upgrade room to go to 500gb that's fine. I would prefer not to have an HDD but I could live with one on top of the SSD. 500 SSD STARTS at 1500+

Dedicated GPU is a must NOPE

Decent port layout. Would like 4 USB 3, and an SD card reader. But the more ports the better. LITERALLY THE WORST PORT LAYOUT IN EXISTENCE

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

It has literally two.

It doesn't have any sort of port layout (specifically mentioned)

It doesn't have dedicated graphics.

It doesn't even start within the cost range. (even with Education Pricing it starts at 1099.99)

It doesn't have any sort of decent cpu (core m really?)

It is a terrible choice for almost any user, and YOU need to get over the FACT that apple does NOT offer cost competitive products at any price range.

1.) Have you ever heard of an adapter? Yeah, they exist. 

2.) I remember saying "almost".

3.) You must not of looked up Macbook prices lately. There is a new Macbook that is at the lowest end of the budget. (Not saying he should go with a new one.)

4.)Only the new Macbooks use Core-M. Again, not saying he should get a new one.

Can you have a debate and use factual information? Not "It is a terrible choice for almost any user, and YOU need to get over the FACT that apple does NOT offer cost competitive products at any price range."

3.) You must not of looked up Macbook prices lately. There is a new Macbook the is at the lowest end of the budget. (Not saying he should go with a new one.)

1. Yes they exist and they are ridiculously overpriced because APPLE.

2. If almost means literally less than 1/3rd of the requirements then sure ALMOST.

3. The lowest cost macbook still fails to meet all requirements except for 1080p, and is STILL a terrible value. http://www.apple.com/us-hed/shop/buy-mac/macbook-air?product=MJVM2LL/A&step=config# Yea sure go ahead and add 230 dollars to still be stuck with 128 GB SSD but with an shitty dual core i7 and 8 GB ram. Also out of budget by that point.

4. Ahh yes get an older model Macbook so your hardware is EVEN farther out of date.

SERIOUSLY if you even think about value for 10 seconds there isn't a single apple product that qualifies.

That's the point though. You buy Apple products for the logo and the ecosystem not the value (because there is none).

Compare for a second to this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-15-6-HD-Gaming-Notebook-i7-4720HQ-12GB-DDR3-750GB-HDD-Nvidia-GTX950M-GL551/121656115178?customid=b07aa15404f6457a8cbfdcb174887a03&pub=5574652453&afepn=5337259887&campid=5337259887&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c5344ffea&afepn=5337259887&rmvSB=true

Brand new, 750 Dollars and it meets every requirement EXCEPT SSD and an SSD can be added with the extra 250 dollars you are saving compared with even the requested dollar range. And yet outside of thickness, it has a better cpu, gpu, and more storage than EVERY macbook option.

Is that fact enough?

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

1. Yes they exist and they are ridiculously overpriced because APPLE.

2. If almost means literally less than 1/3rd of the requirements then sure ALMOST.

3. The lowest cost macbook still fails to meet all requirements except for 1080p, and is STILL a terrible value. http://www.apple.com/us-hed/shop/buy-mac/macbook-air?product=MJVM2LL/A&step=config# Yea sure go ahead and add 300 dollars to still be stuck with 128 GB SSD but with an i7-5500u and 8 GB ram. Also out of budget by that point.

4. Ahh yes get an older model Macbook so your hardware is EVEN farther out of date.

SERIOUSLY if you even think about value for 10 seconds there isn't a single apple product that qualifies.

That's the point though. You buy Apple products for the logo and the ecosystem not the value (because there is none).

Compare for a second to this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-15-6-HD-Gaming-Notebook-i7-4720HQ-12GB-DDR3-750GB-HDD-Nvidia-GTX950M-GL551/121656115178?customid=b07aa15404f6457a8cbfdcb174887a03&pub=5574652453&afepn=5337259887&campid=5337259887&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c5344ffea&afepn=5337259887&rmvSB=true

Brand new, 750 Dollars and it meets every requirement EXCEPT SSD and an SSD can be added with the extra 250 dollars you are saving compared with even the requested dollar range. And yet outside of thickness, it has a better cpu, gpu, and more storage than EVERY macbook option.

You cant be reasoned with can you. Tell me when you can factually support the (great) majority of your statements and I will talk...

You cant be reasoned with can you. Tell me when you can factually support the (great) majority of your statements and I will talk...

I literally have whereas you have not one been able to point to a single value on the Macbook line (of which I did mention the only one that exists, thinness, but he wanted a 14+ inch).

Or do you believe 79 dollars for an adapter is reasonable. And then additional cost to get say a card reader...

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJ1K2AM/A/usb-c-digital-av-multiport-adapter (and that adapter isn't even good. See the sub 3 stars on even Apple's site on reviews...)

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

3.) You must not of looked up Macbook prices lately. There is a new Macbook that is at the lowest end of the budget. (Not saying he should go with a new one.)

Can you have a debate and use factual information? Not "It is a terrible choice for almost any user, and YOU need to get over the FACT that apple does NOT offer cost competitive products at any price range."

macbooks are not powerful and are expensive, the OP wants i7 or high end i5 so a macbook at 1200$ does not help him even with a university education discount of 100$ thats 100$ over budget and gives him an overpriced piece of shit with a low end i5