Cores vs GHz for Video Editing

I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around this issue. Lets say we have 2 identical computers, the only difference between them is the cpu and in turn the motherboard. One is running a 4 core i5 3570k, the other is running an 8 core FX 8350. In terms of video editing, I always understood more cores are better, so if both CPUs are almost the exact same price, it would make more sense to get the 8350 over the 3570K. To me that is what makes sense, but it seems too good to be true to just be able to buy 4 more cores for the same price, and double your performance. Can anyone please help me clear this up so I can stop losing sleep over it. (I'm not actually that worried about it, it's just hard for me to understand)

Threads are more important. Not necessarily just cores. Threads. And yes, the 8350 does outperform the 3570K in video editing.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around this issue. Lets say we have 2 identical computers, the only difference between them is the cpu and in turn the motherboard. One is running a 4 core i5 3570k, the other is running an 8 core FX 8350. In terms of video editing, I always understood more cores are better, so if both CPUs are almost the exact same price, it would make more sense to get the 8350 over the 3570K. To me that is what makes sense, but it seems too good to be true to just be able to buy 4 more cores for the same price, and double your performance. Can anyone please help me clear this up so I can stop losing sleep over it. (I'm not actually that worried about it, it's just hard for me to understand)

Linus said in a Live Stream (July 19th, paraphrased):

The way AMD makes their cores on CPUs basically means that for every 2 cores, it's effectively 1.5 cores as they share the same resources on multiple levels. Intel's cores are more independent and so they, comparatively, can be counted as whole cores. 

As for your question, no idea. I just hope this brings insight into the difference between Intel and AMD. Effectively, an AMD 8 core is an Intel 6 core, if we completely ignore GHz. At least based on what Linus said.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

AMD cores =/= Intel cores

If we are comparing a 4770k and a 3960x at the same clock speed than you would see a huge difference.

Same with amd if we compare at 8350 and a 6350 at the same clock speed you will notice a huge difference.

Cores do make a difference more than clock speed when it comes to video editing. More cores = more threads. And with hyperthreading you get a huge improvement in video editing.

If you are video editing and can't afford a 6 core intel you would be best to get a 8 core amd cpu over a 4 core intel.

6 core intel w/ HT > 8 core amd > 4 core intel w/ HT > 6 core amd

That's what my take on it is if you are video editing.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

Not all cores are created equal.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I never actually realized that, I just assumed the old saying that "more cores isn't better for gaming" I didn't even stop to think the 2 chips were built totally differently, but it makes sense. So lets say instead of that i5 we put an i7 that has 8 cores in hyperthreading, which one would you assume performs better? Because now they have the same amount of threads. Sorry if these are noobish questions, I just have always struggled with the cores vs threads concept

I never actually realized that, I just assumed the old saying that "more cores isn't better for gaming" I didn't even stop to think the 2 chips were built totally differently, but it makes sense. So lets say instead of that i5 we put an i7 that has 8 cores in hyperthreading, which one would you assume performs better? Because now they have the same amount of threads. Sorry if these are noobish questions, I just have always struggled with the cores vs threads concept

The i7(assume 3770K) will perform slightly better or slightly worse than the 8350.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

The i7(assume 3770K) will perform slightly better or slightly worse than the 8350.

Haha, that was such an ambiguous answer. Well for performance sake, since the difference would be slight, would you be better off buying the cheaper AMD because it would be cheaper, or do those 8 threads and 4 cores of the Intel actually make the difference noticeable?

Haha, that was such an ambiguous answer. Well for performance sake, since the difference would be slight, would you be better off buying the cheaper AMD because it would be cheaper, or do those 8 threads and 4 cores of the Intel actually make the difference noticeable?

It's the reality. The 3770K can perform better in certain areas, while the 8350 happens to pull ahead ever so slightly. However, if you don't care about power consumption, the 8350 would be a better way to go since you save more up front money. But if you care about power consumption, the 3770K is much more efficient on power.

Can anyone link me to an explanation on cores vs threads? I mean I've been building computers for years, but they've always been gaming machines, and when it comes to CPU, I've always just did the whole benchmarks vs price shopping. I never paid too much attention to how cores affect other things, but now I'm curious and Its been difficult for me to understand. I Just don't understand how you can have a 4 core outperform an 8 core in video editing except for the fact that it has 8 threads, or any other core heavy program for that matter. I know it didn't matter in gaming, but in something like creative content making, I thought it was the main thing to look at

I Just don't understand how you can have a 4 core outperform an 8 core, except for the fact that it has 8 threads

If you think about it, it can make sense. Hyper-threading works in between read and writes of RAM. And that's a lot of reading/writing. So it adds up. It gives the CPU extra performance. I'll get you a link that explains cores and threads.

Hopefully this video is 100% accurate. I haven't watched it.

I've also found this on overclockers.net from user Scorpii.

The hyperthreaded cores are not nearly as powerful as the 'real' cores, but they still add to performance. so running 4 'real' cores and 4 hyperthreaded cores at 5GHz gives you a reasonable amount more power than just 4 real cores, but not as much as 8 real cores (at least in highly multithreaded applications).

It doesn't halve the effective power of each real core, as it uses a method of utilising extra CPU power that wouldn't otherwise be utilised on each 'tick' of the CPU.

Your last question is a little more involved to answer (except for pointing out again that it doesn't work like you asked, with the clock speed halving). Most applications do not need or utilise 8 threads, and it has been posited that hyperthreading actually slightly reduces performance in things like games or some other applications. Certainly at least hyperthreading tends to lower your maximum possible overclock (as it requires more power, hence you reach clock speed limit before you would otherwise), and for many applications you'd be better off with, say, HT off at 5GHz than HT on at 4.5 GHz (for example)

However, for highly multithreaded applications like encoding, rendering etc hyperthreading tends to help a lot.

Source:http://www.overclock.net/t/1033579/4-cores-vs-8-threads/10

Edited by Godlygamer23

Linus said in a Live Stream (July 19th, paraphrased):

As for your question, no idea. I just hope this brings insight into the difference between Intel and AMD. Effectively, an AMD 8 core is an Intel 6 core, if we completely ignore GHz. At least based on what Linus said.

Guess who asked that question?!

MOI :D

Not all cores are created equal.

This^

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

YOU DONT GET DOUBLE THE PERFORMANCE BUT, A BALANCE OF CORES, CLOCKSPEED AND ARCHITECTURE MAKES A GOOD CPU. YOU SHOULDN'T PAY TOO MUCH ATTENTION TO SPECS BUT TO ACTUAL PERFORMANCE, A LITTLE RESEARCH AND A BS FILTER MIGHT HELP YOU MAKE A DECISION.