GPU Set up for the next 2 years

Honeydiddle

Hi all,

Made a thread similar to this but got off topic and went away from what i was asking.

I'm looking to get a GPU setup that will run all games on ultra until 2015 when the Nvidia 9xx or AMD equvilent comes out. Im planning on a cycle which is e.g 2013- New GPU, 2014- new CPU/mobo, 2015- new GPU, 2016- new CPU/mobo or something like that.

I'm going to stay on one 1080p Monitor. I will never go multi screen as i use my pc to watch movies from bed too and 3 screens will be a pain to move each time, my 32" is perfect.

However i might get a higher res 32" if they become cheap in the next 2 years. I doubt that though as a 48" 4k screen in New Zealand is like $4600

So i'm considering a 770 Sli. They perform very well and sli looks nice ( i'm very into aesthetics ). I dont know whether to go 4GB or 2GB. I might go 760 but i think that may be not quite up to par.

7970 are becoming quite hard to find in reference where i live and i want to water cool so 7970 might not be so good.

I also think the 780 is over priced for what it can do.

However i'm open to any suggestions, please do justify it though as im looking for educated answers.

Thanks in advance :)

i7 4790k | Asus Z97 M-Plus | 16GB Mushkin 1600mhz | Sapphire R9 390X | Samsung 830 128GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Corsair HX750i | Corsair Carbide 330r Blackout Edition 

Avoid SLI, you would be better off acquiring the best single card you can find.

Edit: wait for 9XXX series from AMD they will have better performance than the 780 and hopefully be cheaper

Will be buying in the next few weeks as i will have the money then so that is not the best option, im doing sli as i will have two large chunks of money over the next 2 months or so i would get 2 cards

i7 4790k | Asus Z97 M-Plus | 16GB Mushkin 1600mhz | Sapphire R9 390X | Samsung 830 128GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Corsair HX750i | Corsair Carbide 330r Blackout Edition 

I'm going for the same plan! I am off to get one 760 then SLI later this christmas. Seems ok till 900 series come!

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Avoid SLI, you would be better off acquiring the best single card you can find.

Are you just repeating what you see others say? for example if i were to sli two 770s it would beat a 780, sometimes even a 690

Are you just repeating what you see others say? for example if i were to sli two 770s it would beat a 780, sometimes even a 690

Actually i think it would beat a 690... SLI 680 have better scaling so...... yeah

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

I'm going for the same plan! I am off to get one 760 then SLI later this christmas. Seems ok till 900 series come!

you getting the 4GB or the 2GB?

you getting the 4GB or the 2GB?

2GB. I Normally use a 1080p so 2 GB is fine :)

Actually i think it would beat a 690... SLI 680 have better scaling so...... yeah

Yeah thats what i have seen, i like the idea of sli

2GB. I Normally use a 1080p so 2 GB is fine :)

Im hoping that 2gb lasts for 2 years though :/

Im hoping that 2gb lasts for 2 years though :/

Most games don't use that much VRAM untill resolutions get higher. Once you hit 1440p, it's time to consider a higher VRAM card, or SLI.

You're looking for the best GPU setup for years to come - if you're into aesthetics (which is a wrong reason to search for 'down the line' performance), go for it. If you want performance along the line, go for the single card. And yes I am, because there's sense in what people say if you think about it ... educated answers you say? *cough*

Most games don't use that much VRAM untill resolutions get higher. Once you hit 1440p, it's time to consider a higher VRAM card, or SLI.

Yeah i would love to see a list of games that are known to use over 2gb VRAM at 1080p :P

Only if you like Anti-aliasing.

AA is what pushes the VRAM to extremes.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Yeah i would love to see a list of games that are known to use over 2gb VRAM at 1080p :P

LOL not many man! I wish though for 120Hz non overclocked monitors on 1440p at like 23". I would be SO SET

Only if you like Anti-aliasing.

AA is what pushes the VRAM to extremes.

True! AA does bring it up, but only in AAA titles like Crysis which is very noticeable. TF2 runs at AA for me at only 1GB of memory in my card and at high settings!

True! AA does bring it up, but only in AAA titles like Crysis which is very noticeable. TF2 runs at AA for me at only 1GB of memory in my card and at high settings!

I dont like crysis, but will probably give it a go again. Benchmarks need to start including VRAM usage :D

I dont like crysis, but will probably give it a go again. Benchmarks need to start including VRAM usage :D

Probably should :P Crysis is a good series with a good engine, why did you shy away from it?

Probably should :P Crysis is a good series with a good engine, why did you shy away from it?

Im not a huge futuristic fan, well also i like free roam games like Skyrim, GTA IV. I do like Far cry 3 though. I mainly play Online FPS games like BF3, Cod and planetside 2. I love planetside 2 :D

Will be buying in the next few weeks as i will have the money then so that is not the best option, im doing sli as i will have two large chunks of money over the next 2 months or so i would get 2 cards

get a 780? I know it's more than 2 770s, but I feel like it'll be worth your while.

i5 4670k | Sapphire 7950 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB | G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 8GB

PB238Q | Steelseries Sensei | Ducky DK9087 | Qck Heavy

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/44902-from-imac-to-my-own-creation/

get a 780? I know it's more than 2 770s, but I feel like it'll be worth your while.

I still feel that a 770 sli would perform better than a single 780

Maybe you can sli a 780 when you get more $? :O

i5 4670k | Sapphire 7950 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB | G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 8GB

PB238Q | Steelseries Sensei | Ducky DK9087 | Qck Heavy

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/44902-from-imac-to-my-own-creation/

1. TRUE: It does preform better

2. You need to account for games with compatibility issue and scaling issue when it comes to SLI or CFx

Also:

VANU SOVEREIGNTY!!!!