AIO vs Custom Loop

Yes, this topic again. I've even asked this before (apologies). However, doing a bit more research into watercooling, I discovered this UK website. Listed on it is a complete kit (without GPU block, mind you) from Alphacool, with a 240mm rad, for a mere £130. Or you can spend £10 more and get the 360mm kit! http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/Alphacool-NexXxoS-Cool-Answer-360-LTST-Full-Kit_30212.html

£140 for a custom loop!? Sounds cracking!

Has anyone used any of these more lower end custom kits before? Or are they not worth considering?

Would it be more worthwhile getting an AIO? Considering that an H100i GTX is £45 cheaper (will probably perform worse, to be honest). http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/cooling/watercooling/cw-9060021-ww.html

As a side point, I won't be watercooling now, I'm going to jump on that ship when I upgrade to the Cooler Master Mastercase 5 (when it comes out).

I will also consider a big air tower cooler come closer to the time.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

if you can afford it, a watercooling kit is a great option to expand in the future

also a lot more fun to DIY than an AiO

alphacool, xspc, and ekwb kits are the best

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

That actually seems like a pretty good price! The nice thing with custom loops are, they are expandable, customiazble, and just all around better. But it doesn't look like that comes with a pump, so that will cost you another bit of money.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

Believe me, unless you seriously care about every single dang celcius, you'll be ok with a AIO watercooler, depending on what you're water cooling. If you're cooling a CPU, the AIO will light the world. If you're cooling a GPU and a CPU, definitely look at a custom loop dude. Also, if you want customization, upgradibility and expandible, get a custom loop.

Believe me, unless you seriously care about every single dang celcius, you'll be ok with a AIO watercooler, depending on what you're water cooling. If you're cooling a CPU, the AIO will light the world. If you're cooling a GPU and a CPU, definitely look at a custom loop dude.

Not only am I doing it for aesthetics, I want the option of adding a GPU later on down the road. 

I know that using a custom loop won't see massive performance increase over an AIO (except for it being a 360mm rad, which should perform well), but for only a little more, it seems like a no brainer.

That actually seems like a pretty good price! The nice thing with custom loops are, they are expandable, customiazble, and just all around better. But it doesn't look like that comes with a pump, so that will cost you another bit of money.

I think it does come with a pump, it's listed in the contents of the kit.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

-SNIP-

Those kits for custom loops are a great start but don't forget for custom loops they do require maintenance every 12 months at most for cleaning, fluid changes, and replacing yellowed or bad tubing.

Those kits for custom loops are a great start but don't forget for custom loops they do require maintenance every 12 months at most for cleaning, fluid changes, and replacing yellowed or bad tubing.

cleaning is just dusting the radiators

if you use proper fluid and dont mix metals you should have to do no cleaning other than replacing the fluid

yellow of bad tubing is a sign that something is wrong, that should never happen

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Not only am I doing it for aesthetics, I want the option of adding a GPU later on down the road. 

I know that using a custom loop won't see massive performance increase over an AIO (except for it being a 360mm rad, which should perform well), but for only a little more, it seems like a no brainer.

I think it does come with a pump, it's listed in the contents of the kit.

you can get  all componets in the loop with aio(S) like kraken g10 and 2 aios 1 cpu and second gpu and both core componets are cooled,and it looks almost as good but cheaper

cleaning is just dusting the radiators

if you use proper fluid and dont mix metals you should have to do no cleaning other than replacing the fluid

yellow of bad tubing is a sign that something is wrong, that should never happen

Soft tubing still degrades even some of the top end stuff like primochill it starts to harden overtime while it won't leech plasticizer and clog things. It can still be used even older tubing but it slowly discolors as it ages. 

you can get  all componets in the loop with aio(S) like kraken g10 and 2 aios 1 cpu and second gpu and both core componets are cooled,and it looks almost as good but cheaper

It's a good idea, but custom loops still look so bad ass. From a performance to cost standpoint, that would be the way to go. But watercooling isn't exactly the most cost effective method, so I'm okay with spending a bit more for the aesthetics. Not to mention that I could expand to add another rad to run my system cooler or turn my fans down to make it quieter (something I may take advantage of).

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

Soft tubing still degrades even some of the top end stuff like primochill it starts to harden overtime while it won't leech plasticizer and clog things. It can still be used even older tubing but it slowly discolors as it ages. 

thats why EK ZMT tubing is the best

Spoiler

It's a good idea, but custom loops still look so bad ass. From a performance to cost standpoint, that would be the way to go. But watercooling isn't exactly the most cost effective method, so I'm okay with spending a bit more for the aesthetics. Not to mention that I could expand to add another rad to run my system cooler or turn my fans down to make it quieter (something I may take advantage of).

not exacly since adding lets say 240 rad also means 2 more fans and more noise evain if it is low rpm but 2 fans stil make some noise  

not exacly since adding lets say 240 rad also means 2 more fans and more noise evain if it is low rpm but 2 fans stil make some noise  

Then the system runs cooler. Either way, adding another rad proved beneficial from a performance standpoint.

If I were to go AIO, I'd put one on the CPU and just leave the GPU. If I wanted to watercool the GPU as well, I'd go for a custom loop. In my eyes, it just makes more sense.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

thats why EK ZMT tubing is the best

But, that colored fluid  :)

Then the system runs cooler. Either way, adding another rad proved beneficial from a performance standpoint.

If I were to go AIO, I'd put one on the CPU and just leave the GPU. If I wanted to watercool the GPU as well, I'd go for a custom loop. In my eyes, it just makes more sense.

While true it would be more fans and more noise per say you can idle all the fans instead and gain the same level of performance.

So, in conclusion: Would something like that Alphacool custom kit in a box be a good idea? It's relatively cheap (relative to some custom loop configurations, which can be a hell of a lot more), are expandable and can use bigger rads for better performance as opposed to AIOs. 

That Alphacool kit is also more of an example rather than a plan as well. I'd probably spend more and get an EK WB kit instead. It is £80 more, but it's probably worth it for the quality of the parts. http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/EK-Water-Blocks-EK-KIT-L360-R20_53800.html

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

So, in conclusion: Would something like that Alphacool custom kit in a box be a good idea? It's relatively cheap (relative to some custom loop configurations, which can be a hell of a lot more), are expandable and can use bigger rads for better performance as opposed to AIOs. 

That Alphacool kit is also more of an example rather than a plan as well. I'd probably spend more and get an EK WB kit instead. It is £80 more, but it's probably worth it for the quality of the parts. http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/EK-Water-Blocks-EK-KIT-L360-R20_53800.html

yes it is a great idea go for it

The EK kit has a much better pump than Alphacool's one. You get what you pay. However, if you can find a kit with D5 pump, go for it. The D5 is the best out there. 

In term of performance, custom loop has an advantage mainly because you can use bigger radiator. A 240 AIO and custom loop will perform very much the same, giving you use the same fans(e.g. Noctua NF-F12). I have just installed a semi-custom water cooling system with a EK Coolstream PE 240 rad. The difference in performance compares to Corsair H105 is within margin of error(much to my disappointment).