Intel Haswell 4670k + 4770K Overclocking guide

ProKoN

1. It's always best to manual overclock to decrease your energy consumption and most of the time the automatic voltage is too high.

2. Try CPU Z overclock version, I've had the same problem and when I downloaded the OC version it was right. You can get it here: http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/1.68-oc-setup-en.exe

3. I would say at least 8 hours. But if you don't mind that your pc will maybe crash during for example, a game, you could stress test for 2 hours and use the games as stress test.

4. 1.35v at max. Just don't get above 80 degrees

You have a nice overclocker btw :)

Nice, I am currently at 4 hours stress testing at 4.4 with 1.2 Voltage & 4.4 CPU cache. 

So 1.35 is the highest I should go and not pass 80 degrees. Do you think I should push for 4.6 even though it takes a lot of voltage to get ? Or just stay at 4.4 where I am currently and be happy with that. 

I guess the main question is: Is the extra heat + power consumption worth the 200 Mhz ? 

is there any advantage to running adaptive voltage vs static other than power savings?

and on the same note "balanced" power option vs "high performance"  (high performance sets minimum cpu usage at 100% so that its alway running at max frequency, it also runs at your max voltage even if its set to adaptive in the bios)

I'm assuming, if anything, it'd be wear on the cpu.  but can anyone estimate how much?  am I risking burning out my cpu in less than a year running like that?  I'm not a 24/7 user, max 3-4 hours a day, sometimes I'll game for more on some weekends or something.  and I turn off my PC when I'm not using it.

Adaptive voltage sucks because increases your voltage to very high levels under load, Use static, and when you want to save power, use EPU. (asus)

never use high performance, always use balanced. You will not lose performance.

Ryzen 5 2600X / ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4 / G.Skill RIPJAWS V 16GB (2X8) 3000Mhz CL15 / Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super Gaming 8GB OC / Corsair RM650X 2018 / Crucial BX500 240GB / Seagate Barracauda 2TB 7200RPM Cooler Master MasterBox E500L /  ASUS TUF Gaming VG27WQ // Rog Orion / Corsair Harpoon RGB Pro / Cooler Master MasterKeys Lite L / Xbox One Red Sport  Special Edition Controller for Windows

I disagree. Adaptive voltage just uses about 0.003v more at 100% load. Only when stress testing you need to use manual voltage or the software will adapt the voltage by its own and that could be disasterous. Adaptive voltage will lower power cost and make the cpu last longer by downvolting in idle.

You're myst be special..

you re using intel xtu? or aida?

Use cpuz or hwmonitor.. I set 1.165V, and not only when I test with ROG Realbench (recomended for testing haswell at adaptive) voltage has spikes for 1.26 during 1 sec...  the same also happens when I lauch a gam, etc..

For power savings  I use EPU, does the same and even better.

Ryzen 5 2600X / ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4 / G.Skill RIPJAWS V 16GB (2X8) 3000Mhz CL15 / Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super Gaming 8GB OC / Corsair RM650X 2018 / Crucial BX500 240GB / Seagate Barracauda 2TB 7200RPM Cooler Master MasterBox E500L /  ASUS TUF Gaming VG27WQ // Rog Orion / Corsair Harpoon RGB Pro / Cooler Master MasterKeys Lite L / Xbox One Red Sport  Special Edition Controller for Windows

Works fine with me. Only when doing stress tests the volts go really high

run hwmonitor in the background, and play some games..

then, go there, and check your max voltage value.

My settings are 4.5ghz on 1.255v and a ring of 4.3ghz on 1.25v

Idle:

Idle.png

When playing a game (Wildstar)

Load.png

That's not a big difference. I've noticed, when I run prime95, my voltage goes up to 1.28v, thats why you need manual voltage for that kind of stuff.

Anyways, as you see, adaptive voltage isn't that bad at all :)

Seems to be fine, but againg, it changes a lot during one second, you only see it if you're really careful.

Like I sad, run hwmonitor in the background during some games, and then watch the Max. value, and maybe you'll have a surprise.

Ok so after a lot of playing I managed to get two stable overclocking profiles, I would like to know which of those two you would choose: 

4.4 GHz

Min Cache: 4.4

Max Cache: 4.4

Core Voltage: 1.21 

DRAM Freq: 1866

DRAM Voltage 1.5

Temperatures: - The OC Panel gives me between 64-69 degrees using AIDA64

- AI Suite 3 says my CPU temperature is 50 - 58 degrees using AIDA64

- Core Temp says that the maximum head of every core is below 71 degrees

4.5 GHz

Min Cache: 4.5

Max Cache: 4.5

Core Voltage: 1.25 

DRAM Freq: 1866

DRAM Voltage 1.5

Temperatures: - The OC Panel gives me between 67 - 74 degrees using AIDA64

- AI Suite 3 says my CPU temperature is 57 - 60 degrees using AIDA64

- Core Temp says that the maximum head of every core is below 76 degrees

Which one would you choose ? Is the extra 100 MHz worth the increase in heat & voltage ? 

Also which of these temps do I trust ? 

And is there anyway to stress test a CPU with less time ? I can't really run AIDA64 8 hours and have it crash after 7:30 hours. My schedule doesn't really like that. 

One hour of playing Crysis 3:

load_HWMoni.png

Nothing wrong with it.

your max voltage was 1.280v.. is high for the 1.255v you set.. is almost reaching the 1.3v "danger" line.

That may not be a big difference for you, but the problem is, even in the smaller overclocks it will increase to that kind of number, and for people like me that run 4.2ghz at 1.165v is a really big spike.

I use manual voltage and that doesnt happen. When Im not playing, I enable EPU and I idle at 0.656V :)

I would take profile 2. Your cache is 1:1, that quite exceptional. Maybe the cache is the reason that there is a crash after about 8 hours because cache instability is not found fast (just thinking out loud :) ). Try lowering the cache.

If you're not certain about the temps, trust the one that is the highest so you don't take any risks.

Secondly, you don't have to stress test that long if you really can't. You could just test for let's say 3 hours and then play some games or do some cpu intesive work and see if the overclock lasts but you will take the risk that your computer might crash during the process and you'll maybe lose a save game or a document.

Nice, thanks for the help! 

I will try to lower the cache and see maybe that helps it. 

Regarding the stress testing, I will probably attempt one or two more 8h tests and after that I will try like 4-5 hours then play something. 

Tell us your results when you're done. I'm interested because you have a pretty good chip :)

I just did a quick try at 4.5 with Auto Cache ... after like 8 hours and 30 minutes it rebooted. Should I try to key them at something like 4.4 ? Any other tips that you can recommend to achieve more stability ?

What I currently have and can go up to 8:30 H on AIDA64

Cpu Multiplier: 4.5

Min-Max Cache: 4.5

DRAM: XMPP basically 1866 with 1.50 V

Core Voltage: 1.25 

Would increasing the voltage at this point give me more stability ? 

Try lowering your cpu ratio to 4.4ghz and see what happens. By the way, did you increase your VCCIN?

No, I must have missed the VCCIN. Let me look at that. 

For 4.4 I can get it at around 1.21 - 1.22 voltage to be stable. 

Ah, ok. That could be the problem. Set the vccin at 1.9v and keep the other settings as they were. It was probably the vccin that made your computer crash.

Hmmmm what does VCCIN do ? Is it the voltage given at Boot ? 

Its the cpu input voltage. Vcore is the voltage given to the cores itself and the cpu input voltage is the voltage given to the cpu in total

I see, let me see where that is in the Asus BIOS

After I find it another 8 hours of testing ....

I will report afterwards to tell you how it went :) 

Its the cpu input voltage. Vcore is the voltage given to the cores itself and the cpu input voltage is the voltage given to the cpu in total

Managed to get stable :)

Multiplier: 45

Cache Min-Max: 44-44

Core Voltage = 1.255

Cache Voltage = 1.250

VCCIN = 1.9

DDRAM = 1866 MHZ / 1.65 voltage (NOT XMPP)

Now I have one weird issue, when I switch to adaptive voltage and do the "Benchmark" from IETU, my CPU Core Voltage goes up to 1.32 sometimes ... I set the "Additional Turbo Voltage" to 1.255, shouldn't that cap it there and not let it pass ? 

One other question, is this a good option to run my RAM like this ? I have Corsair Dominator Platinum Plus 16 GB 1866 MHZ. It 1.65 too much ?

You shouldn't use adaptive voltage when stress testing of benchmarking

So when running something like Cinebench I should use manual voltages ? That seems odd. Would't that mean that a high demanding CPU task would also overvolt it in that case ?

Normally it shouldn't but adaptive voltage is not really something to rely on since it can bump up very high. You should use manual voltage all the time if you always shut down your computer and not leave it idleing. As someone else said, adaptive voltage has a big disadvantage and that are the unpredictable voltage bumps. Its something you have to choose yourself.

I see, I'll do some benchmarks and see if it overvolts it too much. It's only spiking not staying at that voltage. If everything is ok after that I will stick to adaptive and see how it goes

Normally it shouldn't but adaptive voltage is not really something to rely on since it can bump up very high. You should use manual voltage all the time if you always shut down your computer and not leave it idleing. As someone else said, adaptive voltage has a big disadvantage and that are the unpredictable voltage bumps. Its something you have to choose yourself.

I tested it using Cinebench and it does not overvolt, it actually stays exactly where I tell it to using adaptive. I guess it was just the IETU Benchmark which was doing things on it's own. 

By the way thanks for the help during my overclock :) I will post what I've learnt during this process in a few days.

Hey.

I've got a question. I've overclocked my i7 4770k to 4,5ghz which requires 1,35 volts, but that ain't the point, I'm just mentioning it. I have a VI Hero as MoBo. My problem is the following: If I revert all the BIOS settings back to stock, in IETU I can see the Wattage my CPU draws. After applying the OC it simply isn't there. It just disappears. I'm using adaptive voltage, c states are enabled.

Anyone knows what BIOS settings should I change to make it reappear?

Welp, got my CPU stable at 4.5 ghz @ 1.25v.

Is that too high?

CPU: Intel i5-7600k (4.8 ghz) | Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero | RAM: Corsair LPX (2x8GB) | GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW | CPU Cooler: NH-D15|

PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W | Case: Fractal Define R5 | Storage: Samsung EVO 250GB SSD - WD Blue 1TB | Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" 144hz | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | 

Mouse: Logitech G602 | Headset: Sennheiser HD558 + V-Moda Boom Pro mic

Welp, got my CPU stable at 4.5 ghz @ 1.25v.

Is that too high?

thats really good  :)

Just postin here to subscribe my self. Youll jear from me again once I have some time for ocing my 4770K. :D

So now that I did my first overclock I just wanted to thank the author of this guide & the people who helped me :) as well as share some of my experiences & advice. 

DISCLAIMER: 

I am not responsible for what happens to your software/hardware if you follow my advice. I am not a professional overclocker but in theory if you pay attention you should be good. 

1. Let us settle something before beginning:

- I have almost 0 experience in overclocking :) this is my first one so if you're hoping for some advanced stuff ... nah.

- I am not saying that my tips are better & should definitely be followed.
- You will require a good cooler for this, I am using a h100i. 
- Before starting to overclock you should be aware that for a few days your computer won't be usable, so just prepare for that.

2. N00B advice & what I've learned from this process below: 

During this process of overclocking I learned a few things by banging my head against the desk. 

- If you want an easier experience FOLLOW THE TUTORIAL even if it seems long, don't just assume stuff will work without testing (you're going to have a really bad time). 
- Before overclocking do some basic tests to make sure your system is good. I can recommend memtest86+, plus 2-3 hours of IETU and some normal usage (games whatever you want).
- Once you are ready to start TURN OFF YOUR INTERNET CONNECTIVITY ON THE BOX. You should keep a tablet/laptop close by to seek advice and google various errors you encounter but whatever you do don't turn on the internet on your overclocking box. The last thing you want is while you're stress testing for your Windows to start grabbing automatic updates & installing them :)

In addition to what the tutorial says I also used "IntelBurnTest" (you'll see below what for), let's get something straight I don't recommend this, I did it because I have a job & family and I can't just leave work because I need to increase the VCORE after 3 hours of stress testing :D

Before Using IntelBurnTest: 

SET YOUR VOLTAGE TO MANUAL!!!

Before using the IntelBurnTest like I did, I suggest running it once with the "Times to run" set to 1 & "Stress Level" set to "High". Have some sort of temp monitoring software (I used HWMonitor & the OC Panel from my motherboard). Your temps will be high so make sure your cooling solution can handle it. 

The Process: 

Simple, I followed the guide from this thread but before each stress test I ran IntelBurnTest with "Times to run" set to anywhere between 10-20. How does this help ? Well in my tests if I passed 20 laps of IntelBurnTest I would pretty much pass 6 hours of stress testing. This greatly reduced the amount of crashes I had during stress testing with IETU. (I have no idea if it will be the same for you)

I would not do anything else while running the IntelBurnTest then looking at my temperatures, it doesn't take long and I wanted to make sure my voltage & temps were good. 

So to keep it short I managed to find something which would be close to stable in less then 30 mintues with IntelBurnTest (this equals to 3-4 times at 10-20 laps) then start IETU and go to work or do the stuff I had to do. Usually if you crash at 6 hours + you will need to make minor adjustments. (In my case i had to increase the VCORE from 1.250 to 1.255 and I was good to do)

One final recommendation :) if you have experience with Assembly & know some reverse engineering analyzing memory dumps after a BSOD (once you have an almost stable overclock) can really come in handy. 

Hey there guys,

my chip doesn't seem too promising :unsure:

Started the 44x test at 1,25 Vcore hitting 95 degrees

then at 1,23 got 93 degrees and

with 1,22 i had a bsod <_<

what's going on here guys? am i lost?

Hey there guys,

my chip doesn't seem too promising :unsure:

Started the 44x test at 1,25 Vcore hitting 95 degrees

then at 1,23 got 93 degrees and

with 1,22 i had a bsod <_<

what's going on here guys? am i lost?

4.4GHz at 1.23v is fine ;)

4.4GHz at 1.23v is fine ;)

I thought the max temps should be lower than 85-90 and mine got up to 93 :(

I thought the max temps should be lower than 85-90 and mine got up to 93 :(

what cooler are you using?

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King