Hello,

I'm plaining to OC my cpu

I have :

MSI Z87-G45 GAMING

I5 4670K

Kingston Genesis 1600 2x4Go CL9

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Corsair CX600-V2 power supply

1. I would like to reach 4.5 or 4.6 (may be it is a dream ?)

With only change cpu ratio i can set 43 with no problem (only 10min tests on OCCT and gaming).

I had to set vcore to 1.25 in order to be able to run OCCT test without rebooting (with temp = 78° and turbo mode deactivated).

I had reset CMOS because i think this tutorial is more detailed and as my test and settings seems random shit, so,

2. do i need to make the whole process at 4.4GHz first or can i try directly at higher settings ?

Asking that because 8h tests for the 1st step seems to be time consuming.

last question i have right now in mind : 

3. Are memory stress tests only for a further step ? (Have set freq to 1333 and voltage to 1.5 as preconised).

Thanks.

Gonna run 1st step 1st test while sleeping though.

Current :

55619844125notfinished.png

Hello,

I'm plaining to OC my cpu

I have :

MSI Z87-G45 GAMING

I5 4670K

Kingston Genesis 1600 2x4Go CL9

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Corsair CX600-V2 power supply

1. I would like to reach 4.5 or 4.6 (may be it is a dream ?)

With only change cpu ratio i can set 43 with no problem (only 10min tests on OCCT and gaming).

I had to set vcore to 1.25 in order to be able to run OCCT test without rebooting (with temp = 78° and turbo mode deactivated).

I had reset CMOS because i think this tutorial is more detailed and as my test and settings seems random shit, so,

2. do i need to make the whole process at 4.4GHz first or can i try directly at higher settings ?

Asking that because 8h tests for the 1st step seems to be time consuming.

last question i have right now in mind : 

3. Are memory stress tests only for a further step ? (Have set freq to 1333 and voltage to 1.5 as preconised).

Thanks.

Gonna run 1st step 1st test while sleeping though.

Current :

55619844125notfinished.png

4.5-4.6GHz is very possible, however you will have to upgrade your cooler to hit those frequencies if your cpu is hungry for more than 1.3V

you do Not have to shot for 4.4GHZ. it is a simple baseline I think most people can hit. Go for whatever frequency \ voltage works best for you.

last step is to test for memory stability at the rated frequency\ voltage. It is a variable than can greatly impact stability so i suggest leaving it at 1333mhz and 1.5v until you are confident your cpu and uncore are stable.

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

Thanks for fast replay, i really appreciate.

So, 4.4Ghz 1.25V test has been passed, no problem, screen may give you an idea and may be you could tell me which freq you think i can reach keeping the aircooler i actually have,

or if you think it would be better to stick to 4,4.

If i keep an eye on test, would it be danderous to start a SHORT test at 4,6GHz and 1.4V and more tests with lower voltages, may be i can know by quick tests that 4.6is not for my actual hardware ?

I know that 8h tests are required, just asking (i'm really novice) if i can gain some precious time in order to choose with frequency i want to make strong tests with.

Was thinking to STICK my eyes on temps and as soon as 86° is reached to stop tests and to lower volts, unless there is some way to automatically stop test when a specific temp has been reached or passed.

Anyway, i'll try not being stupid and will stick to your advices.

Screen :

87525444125almostdone.png

Sorry for double post, but SAVE button when editing post doesn't work for me. I have mouse issue since morning, "clicable zones" are randomly messed up and i don't understand why. I don't think it is due to OC attempts since default settings don't help. Edit : Fixed, was due to a problem with antivir messaging system, installed MSE instead so not really fixed...

About OC, i've tested 4.6GHz

1.29V : crash after 5min

1.30V : crash in less than 10min, max temp has reached 85 or 86

1.31V : crash after 20min, temps had reached 88°C anyway, so i won't test further unless or untill i change cooling solution.

Gonna try 4.5GHz now starting with 1.29V.

Edit : in fact testing at 1.26 right now, but won't finish the test if it doesn't crash, will do it at night.

In video you say to set VCCIN to 2.0 but in the text you have written 1.9.

Is 1.9 good for finding best cpu frequency and 2.0 good for finding ring bus freq ? Or what ? :)

Guys 4.2 GHz is fine right? I don't seem to be able to go any further... damn silicon lottery.  :(

Sorry for double post, but SAVE button when editing post doesn't work for me. I have mouse issue since morning, "clicable zones" are randomly messed up and i don't understand why. I don't think it is due to OC attempts since default settings don't help. Edit : Fixed, was due to a problem with antivir messaging system, installed MSE instead so not really fixed...

1.31V : crash after 20min, temps had reached 88°C anyway, so i won't test further unless or untill i change cooling solution.

Edit : in fact testing at 1.26 right now, but won't finish the test if it doesn't crash, will do it at night.

Is 1.9 good for finding best cpu frequency and 2.0 good for finding ring bus freq ? Or what ? :)

set your VCCIN for 1.9V. only bump it up to 2.0V if your having trouble finding ring bus stability. sorry for the confusion.

if you want to try and hit 4.6GHZ @ 1.4V by all means try. just keep a close eye on the temps. Your cpu has built in features that will protect it if it gets too hot.

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

Guys 4.2 GHz is fine right? I don't seem to be able to go any further... damn silicon lottery.  :(

4.2 is fine.

did you follow the guide?

4.2 is fine.

did you follow the guide?

I did, but I'll keep on tinkering, see if it goes to 4.6. What should be my MAX voltage at 4.6??

No, i don't want 4.6 by all means, just want some stable settings.

4.5Ghz 1.26V crashed after 4-5 hours. Gonna try 1.27 this night.

I did, but I'll keep on tinkering, see if it goes to 4.6. What should be my MAX voltage at 4.6??

don't go above 1.3v

1.29v for me personally..

Ryzen 5 2600X / ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4 / G.Skill RIPJAWS V 16GB (2X8) 3000Mhz CL15 / Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super Gaming 8GB OC / Corsair RM650X 2018 / Crucial BX500 240GB / Seagate Barracauda 2TB 7200RPM Cooler Master MasterBox E500L /  ASUS TUF Gaming VG27WQ // Rog Orion / Corsair Harpoon RGB Pro / Cooler Master MasterKeys Lite L / Xbox One Red Sport  Special Edition Controller for Windows

Another question about thermal paster, i used the one that came in the master cooler box, but i now remember that i have in my fridge some silver arctic, would it be worth to apply that one instead ?

Last question, on real temps as well as on Core temp, i can see (during actual tests for example) that cores #0-#2 max temps are 82-83°C while code #3 max temp is 75°C, is it normal ?

Very last question, if 8h test is passed (i should have set up a longer length since the begining...) should i then run a 24h test to validate or can i go to ring bus tests ?

Edit : 4.5Ghz 1.27V 8hours passed 84°C

Anyone found a way to basically just increase what a CPU turbo's to instead of it running max voltage and hz all the time?

From pre-tests i've made, seems that :

With cpu @ 4,5GHz & 1,27V

Whatever the VCCIN between 1.9 and 2.1 (BIOS doens't show it in red below 2.3 oO) :

- I can't run the ring ratio at 45 even with ring voltage raised to 1,35V (BIOS shows this value in red since 1.2V).

- I can't run the ring ratio at 44 below 1,31V

With the VCCIN set to 1,9V :

- I may be able to run ring ratio at 44 with 1,31V and i may be able to set VCCIN below/lower than/under 1,9

- I may be able to run ring ratio at 43 with 1,27V (=VCore) and i may be able to lower VCCIN below 1.9 (any value below 1.8 shows 1.8 in IETU oO)

Do you think it is worth to try 44 (already less than 1:1) or better to try 43 ? (i don't want anything by all means) : you recommanded to not set ring voltage higher than cpu but i don't think you explained why.

Or do you think it could be better to go back to a 4,4GHz cpu in order to reach ratio to 44 or 43 and to be closer to 1:1 ?

Or any other suggestion ?

Another thing, most of failed tests result in a frozen windows, i still see my destop but can't do anything except hold the physic power button untill it shust down, fan is also lowering speed (or stop i don't know).

Is it safe to let the computer in this state if for example i'm not there when it fails ?

Thanks.

From pre-tests i've made, seems that :

With cpu @ 4,5GHz & 1,27V

Whatever the VCCIN between 1.9 and 2.1 (BIOS doens't show it in red below 2.3 oO) :

- I can't run the ring ratio at 45 even with ring voltage raised to 1,35V (BIOS shows this value in red since 1.2V).

- I can't run the ring ratio at 44 below 1,31V

With the VCCIN set to 1,9V :

- I may be able to run ring ratio at 44 with 1,31V and i may be able to set VCCIN below/lower than/under 1,9

- I may be able to run ring ratio at 43 with 1,27V (=VCore) and i may be able to lower VCCIN below 1.9 (any value below 1.8 shows 1.8 in IETU oO)

Do you think it is worth to try 44 (already less than 1:1) or better to try 43 ? (i don't want anything by all means) : you recommanded to not set ring voltage higher than cpu but i don't think you explained why.

Or do you think it could be better to go back to a 4,4GHz cpu in order to reach ratio to 44 or 43 and to be closer to 1:1 ?

Or any other suggestion ?

Another thing, most of failed tests result in a frozen windows, i still see my destop but can't do anything except hold the physic power button untill it shust down, fan is also lowering speed (or stop i don't know).

Is it safe to let the computer in this state if for example i'm not there when it fails ?

Thanks.

given your results I would shot for

4.5GHz cpu core

4.3Ghz uncore

Its ok to set the ring voltage higher than the cpu core voltage, sorry that was based off of old info.

your computer will crash and freeze many times on your road to stability. it is ok to do a hard power off reset whenever necessary.

4400MHz couldn't work ? You think 1.31 to 1.33 would be to high ?

I mean, can i let computer in frozen state for few hours without danger ?

Thanks anyway, gonna launch a 4300MHz, 1,27V and VCCIN 1.8V tonight.

4400MHz couldn't work ? You think 1.31 to 1.33 would be to high ?

I mean, can i let computer in frozen state for few hours without danger ?

Thanks anyway, gonna launch a 4300MHz, 1,27V and VCCIN 1.8V tonight.

4400 is fine

I run my ring voltage much higher 24\7. 1.45V

i have woke up many times with the computer in a frozen state. Its fine

So, ring bus 4300MHz 1.27V with VCCIN 1.9V passed 8hours (VCCIN 1.8V crashed in less than an hour i think).

Considering temps reached 86°C, would you give a shot to 4400MHz ?

I gonna launch same test with vccin 1.85V while i'm at work, will save me some times if i stick on 4300 (edit : test passed)

Thanks again for your time and for good advices.

5745224512719043127.png

Edit:

I may try to give a shot to 4400 and see depending on required volts and temps.

As your tutorial was based on not setting higher ring bus voltage than core one, and as you said that in fact we can do it, does the methodology has changed ? Can i fix VCCIN to 1.9 and increase ring bug voltages untill i find a stable one ? Should i do this with a higher VCCIN ? Should i do another way ?

I've made pre-tests and for example 1.9VCCIN : 1.32 crashes, 1.34 could work with temps at 85-86 (stopped myself after 1,30hour), i've just started a test at 1.33V and if it doesn't crash before i go sleep i gonna let him finish or crash (CRASHED!).

Edit: last night test : VCCIN 2.0 ring bus 4400MHz 1.35V passed 6 hours with 87°C reached (ambient temp ~23°C), stopped it in order to launch same but 1.9V VCCIN test while i'm at work.

Edit : 1.9VCCIN Ring 4400MHz 1.35V passed a 10h test, temps reached 85, 85, 86 and 78°C

-> have played game (cs:go) during more than an hour with those settings + XMP profile loaded and no problem, temps reached 76, gonna set back RAM and continue tests through night.

Do VCCIN adjustements need to be 0.001V ? (will need 6 or 7 more tests for this, mean 4 potential days unless some tests crash fast which shouldn't happen as i'm closed to right value).

If yes, why it is more important than vcore or ring bus voltage for which your tutorial says to find a 0.1V adjustement ?

If you see through my tests i should give up just tell me  :)

P.S. : I've installed pc monitor, it's nice to know if computer is still live or not.

I have manage to get to 4.5ghz using this guide i had to up my vcore to 1.35 and my vccin to 1.920 asrock z87+4770k however you need a good cooler like corsair h105 keeps it cool voltage set to adaptive took a couple of days of testing and retesting but now all is great no more error x124

I have manage to get to 4.5ghz using this guide i had to up my vcore to 1.35 and my vccin to 1.920 asrock z87+4770k however you need a good cooler like corsair h105 keeps it cool voltage set to adaptive took a couple of days of testing and retesting but now all is great no more error x124

awesome bud !

welcome to the forum

no one likes a x124 :)

First of all,   EXCELLENT GUIDE!!

I am kind of stumped on my OC.  I have a 4670k on an ASRock Z87 Extreme4.  I followed the guide step by step, changing only what was said to be changed, but I cannot get stable on 4.4Ghz.  

I am not sure if I have a very very poor chip / bad luck.  Or If there is something I am not setting right.  With all settings stress tests I have ran, I never seen temps go above 78c on full load.  I am currently cooling with a CoolerMaster Hyper EVO 212.  Based on the results below,  What would be my next step?  Could it be my chip just cant do 4.4; Start the process all over again @ 4.3 GHz?

Here is my current attempts on just getting past step 1.

Multiplier: 44

CPU VCore: 1.25

CPU Input Volage: 2.0

Result: Crashed at Start Up

CPU VCore: 1.26

CPU VCore: 1.27

CPU VCore: 1.28

Result: Crashed at 4 Mins after running IETU

CPU VCore: 1.29

Result: Crashed at 9 Mins after running IETU

CPU VCore: 1.30

Result: Crashed at 12 Mins after running IETU

First of all,   EXCELLENT GUIDE!!

I am kind of stumped on my OC.  I have a 4670k on an ASRock Z87 Extreme4.  I followed the guide step by step, changing only what was said to be changed, but I cannot get stable on 4.4Ghz.  

I am not sure if I have a very very poor chip / bad luck.  Or If there is something I am not setting right.  With all settings stress tests I have ran, I never seen temps go above 78c on full load.  I am currently cooling with a CoolerMaster Hyper EVO 212.  Based on the results below,  What would be my next step?  Could it be my chip just cant do 4.4; Start the process all over again @ 4.3 GHz?

Here is my current attempts on just getting past step 1.

CPU VCore: 1.25

CPU VCore: 1.26

CPU VCore: 1.27

CPU VCore: 1.28

Result: Crashed at 4 Mins after running IETU

CPU VCore: 1.29

Result: Crashed at 9 Mins after running IETU

CPU VCore: 1.30

Result: Crashed at 12 Mins after running IETU

you probably dont have to much thermal headroom past 1.3V on an evo 212.

your best bet is to drop your cpu multiplier.

what is your uncore multi and voltage set at? what is your ram set at?

Ahh ok Thanks!

My uncore Multi and voltage was not change for the above tests. Default is Auto

My understanding is that I was only to change the CPU Multi to 44, Vcore to 1.25-1.29, and the CPU Input Volt to 2.0 until I was stable.    Should I have set those to something?

Ahh ok Thanks!

My uncore Multi and voltage was not change for the above tests. Default is Auto

My understanding is that I was only to change the CPU Multi to 44, Vcore to 1.25-1.29, and the CPU Input Volt to 2.0 until I was stable.    Should I have set those to something?

auto values should be fine for the uncore multi and vring to start. if your having issues try dropping the uncore multi down to 30 to see if that helps.

it is also imperative you run your mem chips at 1333@ 1.5V untill you find stability on the core frequency and uncore.

Alright,  I will try droppng the uncore Manually then, and see if that helps.   About the ram, I did forget to mention that it is running in 1333@1.5 with no XMP profile.

Alright,  I will try droppng the uncore Manually then, and see if that helps.   About the ram, I did forget to mention that it is running in 1333@1.5 with no XMP profile.

you can also try to increase vccin. i personally run 2.2V. try 2.1 or 2.2V on the vccin (also try 1.9V)

if all else fails shot for 4.3GHz until you can get a better cooler.