Having trouble connecting old computer to Internet

woox

I have a really old computer which had been sitting around in my basement for quite some time, so today I decided to bring it back out and have it do something useful (ideally install pfsense on it). Just to give you an idea of how old it is, here are some of the specs, if you're interested:

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 dual core @3.0 GHz

RAM: 2 sticks of 512 MB DDR2 (1 GB in total)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA 8N SLI PRO (LGA 775 socket)

Graphics Card: nVidia GeForce 6600 (256 MB VRAM)

In order for me to do anything with this thing, I am going to have to establish an internet connection. But here is the problem: after connecting an ethernet cable (CAT 5e in case it matters) from my router to the computer, nothing happens. It's as if I never connected the cable in the first place. Around a decade ago, when the computer was purchased, it wasn't me who had set it up, so I am completely oblivious to as to what I have to do to get his thing to work. If someone could walk me through the process of doing so, or link me to a video or an online guide that would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

• Is the light in ethernet cable jack (I don't know much but someone else,will probably know) lighted up on both side? 
  • Is the cable chopped/chewed off? 
  • Re-install driver by Downloading it from another computer 

Things i would check 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

• Is the light in ethernet cable jack (I don't know much but someone else,will probably know) lighted up on both side? 
  • Is the cable chopped/chewed off? 
  • Re-install driver by Downloading it from another computer 

Things i would check 

Yes, there is light coming from the ethernet port on the desktop.

Cable is functional, I have tested it with other devices.

What drivers would I need? As in, for which device? All of them?

Im guessing your still using XP thats on the machine ?

These are the drivers for the board but i dont see a proper driver for your NIC on the site : http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=1916#dl

Open device manager for us and see you have a yellow triangel next to anything (especialy your network adapters )   To open device manager quickly  do  Windows key + R and then paste: devmgmt.msc in the run box and hit enter.

If everything is there then its just a simple network config on the network adapter.

You will want to tell your network adapter to use DHCP  then everything should work.

Heres a guid on how to edit your network adapter settings.  http://www.wikihow.com/Set-up-DHCP-Network-Settings-on-Windows-XP

Is the light blinking?

As for reinstalling,find out which motherboard,download the network drivers from the mobo's site and re-install it 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

These are the drivers for the board but i dont see a proper driver for your NIC on the site : http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=1916#dl

Open device manager for us and see you have a yellow triangel next to anything (especialy your network adapters )   To open device manager quickly  do  Windows key + R and then paste: devmgmt.msc in the run box and hit enter.

If everything is there then its just a simple network config on the network adapter.

You will want to tell your network adapter to use DHCP  then everything should work.

Heres a guid on how to edit your network adapter settings.  http://www.wikihow.com/Set-up-DHCP-Network-Settings-on-Windows-XP

Under Network Adapters, "network adapter 1394" has a yellow exclamation mark. On properties the device status message box reads: "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing (code 39)". Troubleshooting suggested that I uninstall and reinstall the device, which I did but didn't do a difference. So I guess all that's left is to install the new drivers. Thanks for the help!

Is the light blinking?

As for reinstalling,find out which motherboard,download the network drivers from the mobo's site and re-install it 

Nope, the light is not blinking. And thanks for the help with the drivers!

OK, all the drivers seem to be installed. I also followed the guide you sent me but I have encountered anotherr issue. The guide states that under network connections I should find an icon named "Local area Connection". However, the only icon I have is one named "Broadband Connection Disconnected WAN miniport PPPOE". Is this the same thing?

No, are you sure you plugged into a router or a modem? Because that sounds like it wants to establish a PPPoE connection.

Comb it with a brick